Pioneer Press article on Carr availability

Braxton Key will be immediately eligible for Virginia this season after transferring from Alabama earlier this year, though it sounds like there is an ailing family member involved in this one. Looks like he was injured for the wild game the Gophers played against the Tide last year.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Transferring basketball players seem to have an inordinately high number of sick relatives they desire to be closer to.

Every transfer with a ailing relative and going closer to home has been approved so far.

I've really never understood the "sick relative" as logic for immediate eligibility. If your relative is sick and you have such a strong relationship with that relative that you need to move closer to home and change schools, then isn't a red shirt year a good thing? Surely if the illness is having this type of impact on your life, then having a year off and not having to travel to your school's road games and potentially being able to miss some practice time to be around said relative would be beneficial.

In this case the the the appeal noted that this could be the last year that the relative would be able to see him play...pretty much a bs rule does not specify how close a relative or how much closer the the new school must be... nor is the player expected to provide any care or support for the relative.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

In this case the the the appeal noted that this could be the last year that the relative would be able to see him play...pretty much a bs rule does not specify how close a relative or how much closer the the new school must be... nor is the player expected to provide any care or support for the relative.

It is very much a BS rule. Has become a completely arbitrary distinction among guys wanting to transfer...if you can come up with someone, anyone, of any relation that is anywhere near the destination school, your compliance dept is going to write the request in a way that you will get the waiver. That is why I believe at this point, it has become simply unfair for the NCAA to deny any waiver (and I have not seen any denied so far, just that they seem to be sitting on some).

All that being said, just to be safe, why can't we find a distant cousin or long-lost third uncle for Carr, somewhere in MN, WI, IA, or the Dakotas?

I believe Carr's transfer qualifies as a hardship transfer because his relatives were unable to afford traveling to his games at Pitt and the B1G network is included in their cable service provider. So they will be able to watch him play.

It is very much a BS rule. Has become a completely arbitrary distinction among guys wanting to transfer...if you can come up with someone, anyone, of any relation that is anywhere near the destination school, your compliance dept is going to write the request in a way that you will get the waiver. That is why I believe at this point, it has become simply unfair for the NCAA to deny any waiver (and I have not seen any denied so far, just that they seem to be sitting on some).

All that being said, just to be safe, why can't we find a distant cousin or long-lost third uncle for Carr, somewhere in MN, WI, IA, or the Dakotas?

The Gophers should send Ancestry DNA kits all season ticket holders...

I believe Carr's transfer qualifies as a hardship transfer because his relatives were unable to afford traveling to his games at Pitt and the B1G network is included in their cable service provider. So they will be able to watch him play.

The ACC tv contract is a disaster. Games all over the place. Some only on local channels. The NCAA should ease their pain.

Go Gophers!!

Fuller fishing for clicks, conveniently leaves out that Carr's waiver application did not include an appeal to an ailing relative, while the others did.

Fuller fishing for clicks, conveniently leaves out that Carr's waiver application did not include an appeal to an ailing relative, while the others did.

Clicks to what? He didn't write a story on it, just a Tweet, which is visible without clicking a thing.

I've really never understood the "sick relative" as logic for immediate eligibility. If your relative is sick and you have such a strong relationship with that relative that you need to move closer to home and change schools, then isn't a red shirt year a good thing? Surely if the illness is having this type of impact on your life, then having a year off and not having to travel to your school's road games and potentially being able to miss some practice time to be around said relative would be beneficial.
Sometimes the last thing someone that is seriously ill wants is to further impact their families daily life. They may also derive a lot of joy from watching their relative play and be able to see them on a more regular basis. Playing closer to home can help accommodate something like this.

I believe he’s my brother from another mother, and I have a tummy ache.

The NCAA may have gotten to the bottom of their “Approved Waivers” basket and are now starting to plow through the “Rejected Waivers” basket.

Carr had a coaching change, Daystrup didn't even have that.

The season starts 11/1...think we'll know before the season if Carr is eligible immediately?

The NCAA may have gotten to the bottom of their “Approved Waivers” basket and are now starting to plow through the “Rejected Waivers” basket.

They left one panel on the Wheel of Random Decisions as "no" to retain credibility.

They left one panel on the Wheel of Random Decisions as "no" to retain credibility.

I always envision a dart board. There's a few spots that say "Yes", one that says "No" and the others say "Delay decision for another month".

The NCAA should just create tiers within DI that are reasonable agreeable. You could do: low-majors, mid-majors, P5, Elite.

Any player can transfer within the same tier, or down to a lower tier, with no sit-out, no questions asked. This is between seasons, not in the middle of the season.

Going up a tier, results in a sit-out, unless a waiver is granted.

This allows transfers, while avoiding the concept of higher up teams sucking up all the good players from lower tiers, like a minor league/farm league system.

I think Pitt and Minnesota would both be comfortable in the P5 tier, so Carr's transfer wouldn't be questioned, in that case.

I know, dream on.

I always envision a dart board. There's a few spots that say "Yes", one that says "No" and the others say "Delay decision for another month".

I hear Joel Maturi had a similar dart board. It was 90% the latter.

The NCAA should just create tiers within DI that are reasonable agreeable. You could do: low-majors, mid-majors, P5, Elite.

Any player can transfer within the same tier, or down to a lower tier, with no sit-out, no questions asked. This is between seasons, not in the middle of the season.

Going up a tier, results in a sit-out, unless a waiver is granted.

This allows transfers, while avoiding the concept of higher up teams sucking up all the good players from lower tiers, like a minor league/farm league system.

I think Pitt and Minnesota would both be comfortable in the P5 tier, so Carr's transfer wouldn't be questioned, in that case.

I know, dream on.

This is a different thought, so I’ll bite.

Aside from the logistical issues of rating each program, this would punish players who work hard and earn a chance to transfer to a more high profile school. This really only seems to be aimed at preventing a handful of schools from accessing certain talent pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earn a chance to transfer to a higher level school??? No, I'm sorry ... that's not how the NCAA is supposed to work.

If you're talking a grad transfer, then OK. I'm with that, because at the end of the day we need to be getting players to graduate with degrees. So I'm OK using that as a carrot to get graduations.

Otherwise? Sorry no, that doesn't work for me. If you think you're better than the school you signed with ... you shouldn't have signed with them. And if you just wanted to use them as a stepping stone to a better school, then you should have to sit-out a year.

Earn a chance to transfer to a higher level school??? No, I'm sorry ... that's not how the NCAA is supposed to work.

If you're talking a grad transfer, then OK. I'm with that, because at the end of the day we need to be getting players to graduate with degrees. So I'm OK using that as a carrot to get graduations.

Otherwise? Sorry no, that doesn't work for me. If you think you're better than the school you signed with ... you shouldn't have signed with them. And if you just wanted to use them as a stepping stone to a better school, then you should have to sit-out a year.

I agree with this. I would also add players shouldn't be able to transfer to a school in the same tier without penalty, only a lower tier.

Not how the NCAA is supposed to work? That’s exactly how juco transfers work.... where do they fit into your plan?

And what works for you is not important. The NCAA has an obligation to support player development and should be providing them with opportunities to reach the peak of their potential, not bounding them by some arbitrary system of tiers they walk into at 17 years old. If a player reaches a point where his growth and future potential (ie, exposure to international scouts) becomes limited by the resources at a smaller school, and he has an offer to join a power 6 team as an upperclassman, what’s so bad about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good lawd I'm sick of checking this board a couple of times each day just waiting to hear news.

Sorry to anyone who clicked on this expecting actual news.

Good lawd I'm sick of checking this board a couple of times each day just waiting to hear news.

Sorry to anyone who clicked on this expecting actual news.

Yeah. You got me. Hopefully you will click on this so I get my revenge.

Top Bottom