Pioneer Press article on Carr availability

On the radio broadcast last night, Grimm alluded to the delay being in no small part to Pitt dragging their feet and/or straight up contesting the waiver because they are salty that he left. I get being unhappy with a talented player leaving, but its not he like he went to a rival or something. Not sure what they gain other than complicating a young man's dream.

Someone needs to expose that to the national media and making Marcus a cause celebre for the pre transfer crowd, a little like they did with Bo Ryan a few years back.

Jay Bilas chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

On the radio broadcast last night, Grimm alluded to the delay being in no small part to Pitt dragging their feet and/or straight up contesting the waiver because they are salty that he left. I get being unhappy with a talented player leaving, but its not he like he went to a rival or something. Not sure what they gain other than complicating a young man's dream.

Ahhhhh ... that makes perfect sense, as far as a hypothesis for the delay. Not saying I agree with it.

Surprised we didn't think of this before.

Shady as hell.

I'm surprised if that's the case. I remember reading at the time of the transfer that the new coach (Capel) basically didn't want him, wanted to start over with his own players. And he quickly signed at least one highly ranked 2018 PG we had been after.

If you look up any media article around that time, they all basically say "who cares which guys leave, because these guys were 0-18").

I'm surprised if that's the case. I remember reading at the time of the transfer that the new coach (Capel) basically didn't want him, wanted to start over with his own players. And he quickly signed at least one highly ranked 2018 PG we had been after.

If you look up any media article around that time, they all basically say "who cares which guys leave, because these guys were 0-18").

Right, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't try to foul things up with the transfer, if he had that power. Simply from a matter of gamesmanship, if you want to call it that. IE, no need to let any other program benefit from a player who just left, if you can help it.

Thats what I've heard as well. And that there is really no timetable for a decision.

I heard that too. Along with that, Grimm mentioned that we did something similar when Royce White transferred to Iowa State.

Cuts both ways

I heard that too. Along with that, Grimm mentioned that we did something similar when Royce White transferred to Iowa State.

Cuts both ways

That’s an odd thing to say, because White did have to sit a year, and beyond that we have no say in him playing there. There was no waiver (and no waiver request that was ever reported).

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Shoot. Probably means "locked out".

Although I guess it could mean "locked in", as in he's locked and ready to go. But I think it would've been more celebratory if so. Guess this means the NCAA locked him out this year. Pitt screwed up the transfer, to get back at him for leaving.

Although I guess it could mean "locked in", as in he's locked and ready to go. But I think it would've been more celebratory if so. Guess this means the NCAA locked him out this year. Pitt screwed up the transfer, to get back at him for leaving.
the only positive way to interpret that is if he means that he's locked out in the sense that the NCAA continues to withhold a ruling on his case

Marcus just liked my tweet when I asked if him if the NCAA denied his waiver.... He's not eligible this year

That’s an odd thing to say, because White did have to sit a year, and beyond that we have no say in him playing there. There was no waiver (and no waiver request that was ever reported).

White applied for a waiver to play in the 2010-11 season for Iowa State, and his request was denied. That part I'm sure of.

Grimm alluded to how some waivers are granted if the school that the player is transferring from agrees to it. Didn't outright say that Pitt was refusing to do that, but it was certainly implied. Then he said we did something similar to Iowa State when White transferred. I don't know if he's right about either one of them, but that's what he said.

This is bullsh!t. The rules should be black and white not grey. Moreover the NCAA should have a time deadline to rule. Say September 15. Some people get bent out of shape on how corrupt the NCAA is, my issue is how incompetent they seem.

or Locked In

They did not even have the guts to go after UNC and their complete academic fraud cause. They did get Louisville for all the scum there but let Duke skate for all the financial garbage with Magette and others. This is a organization that the presidents want but they let the cheaters go too often.

Go Gophers!!

These ruling seem so arbitrary and inconsistent, that said we should be fine with out him this year. It will be nice for him to sit and watch a year come in for the 2019 hungry. Carr/Washington/Gabe/Willis should be fine for 2019.

These ruling seem so arbitrary and inconsistent, that said we should be fine with out him this year. It will be nice for him to sit and watch a year come in for the 2019 hungry. Carr/Washington/Gabe/Willis should be fine for 2019.

Why is everyone so confident we don't need Carr this year! This is a team thats consistently on the bubble with not many as a LOCK! Sure we have talent and are deeper, but when i read in pitino's blog that Carr is a game changer, he competes on both ends, is a confident guy on court, battle tested and a flat out WINNER, who doesnt need a guy like that in your lineup? I hope he gets to play this year. Ill worry about 3 years from now at a later date.

Jay Bilas, Jeff Goodman and Dick Vitale all bringing a lot of attention to this ruling on twitter today.

Hopefully they can maybe apply enough pressure on the NCAA for the appeal to be successful. Long shot I know.

Dick Vitale chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Good! Need these guys to call them out on their BS.

Sidenote: Dick V gave Jordan Muphy some love during the Duke vs. Kentucky, Michigan State vs. Kansas double header.

Go Gophers!!

This is a smart tactic by the U. Stop messing around with this play nice stuff, and demand a waiver for the sake of the student's well-being. Let's see them deny that!

per Marcus:

No Carr waiver update

Sophomore guard Marcus Carr filed an appeal last week after his waiver to play this season was denied by the NCAA, but he hasn’t heard back about the second go round.

Carr was a starting point guard for the Panthers last season and led the team in assists, but he decided to leave the program after second-year coach Kevin Stallings was fired. Stallings received a $10 million buyout.

“I think it’s challenging for him with the process,” Pitino said about Carr. “He was recruited by a coach and staff who assured him they would be there. In sports, we understand things can change. But to go to a place and after a year the coaches he went to the school for are gone — that’s a big deal. People have got to understand a lot of these kids choose it for the head coach and the staff. That’s hard on young people. That’s why we think he should play right away.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-pitino-scheduled-utah-with-gophers-fans-in-mind/500336602/

Go Gophers!!

Souhan chimes in:

NCAA blows decision on Gophers' Marcus Carr

It can be difficult to remember why the NCAA exists. So I checked. I went to NCAA.org, and the mission statement is right there, in white type on orange background:

“Creating a pathway to lifelong success.’’

What could be better than that, other than a reverse mortgage that gives you whiter teeth in 30 days?

The problem is that the NCAA’s pathway to lifelong success is a lot like highway travel in the era of nonstop construction in the Twin Cities. You may think taking 35W North will get you to your destination, because that’s what it was designed to do. You would be wrong.

After this week, even the world’s most sophisticated GPS would be confused by the NCAA’s pathway.

The NCAA has always been a broken, hypocritical organization. What’s amazing is that it has never reformed itself, never made progress toward getting at least the small, obvious decisions right.

Who benefits from Carr sitting out a season?

No one.

Who is hurt by Carr being forced to sit out a season?

The Minnesota basketball program and Carr.

What did Minnesota do to deserve this?

Nothing.

What did Carr do to deserve this?

Nothing.

What is achieved by forcing Carr to sit out a season?

Nothing.

Making a random example of Carr, who has the same résumé as many athletes who were allowed to compete after transferring, does not set a precedent that will keep athletes from transferring in the future.

Nor should it. Athletes should be able to transfer freely, no matter how you view them.

If they are truly viewed as students first — which has always been the NCAA’s winking stance — they should be able to transfer like any other students.

http://www.startribune.com/ncaa-blows-decision-on-gophers-marcus-carr/500648251/

Go Gophers!!

ask vanderbilt & syracuse how to get a waiver done....Matthew Moyer already redshirted at syracuse just got a surprise approval.

They did not even have the guts to go after UNC and their complete academic fraud cause. They did get Louisville for all the scum there but let Duke skate for all the financial garbage with Magette and others. This is a organization that the presidents want but they let the cheaters go too often.

They did have the guts to go to small potatoes like the Gophers after the Gangelhoff-gate. They vacate the wins and almost gave the death penalty. This one set of rules for the big moneymakers for the NCAA, and another set of rules for bottom tier teams. The UNC classes after all where all available to the general population.

Just like the perception of poor criminals who robbed a bank are prosecuted and convicted get longer prison terms, but rich white collar criminals who stole millions/billions they'd say these folks made an error in judgement. They get a slap in the wrist short sentence in a prison that looks like a country club.

Top Bottom