In replacing Winfield Jr., Gophers coach Fleck turns to freshmen and Shenault

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

With safety Antoine Winfield Jr., the Gophers’ top playmaker on defense, out for the season because of a left foot injury suffered Saturday at Maryland, P.J. Fleck and his coaching staff had to adjust quickly. True freshman walk-on Jordan Howden stepped in to replace Winfield, and on Tuesday Fleck said Howden and true freshman Benny Sapp III are taking practice repetitions and that senior Antonio Shenault is a possibility to move from cornerback to safety.

“He’s played some safety for us last year,’’ Fleck said during the weekly Big Ten teleconference. “We worked on it today. We’re coaching the young guys up, giving for a lot of young guys to play. We have a plan.’’

Fleck also said redshirt sophomore defensive back Kiondre Thomas didn’t accompany the team to Maryland because of a violation of team a rule. “If you don’t do the right things, you’re not going to play,’’ said Fleck, who didn’t say how long Thomas would be out.

As for Winfield, Fleck said Winfield underwent surgery on Monday and is in good spirits.

“He’s doing really well, recovering well,’’ Fleck said. “He’s going to spend some time at home [in The Woodlands, Texas] for a while and get back here.’’

http://www.startribune.com/in-repla...s-to-freshmen-and-antonio-shenault/494276761/

Go Gophers!!

per Randy:

With safety Antoine Winfield Jr., the Gophers’ top playmaker on defense, out for the season because of a left foot injury suffered Saturday at Maryland, P.J. Fleck and his coaching staff had to adjust quickly. True freshman walk-on Jordan Howden stepped in to replace Winfield, and on Tuesday Fleck said Howden and true freshman Benny Sapp III are taking practice repetitions and that senior Antonio Shenault is a possibility to move from cornerback to safety.

“He’s played some safety for us last year,’’ Fleck said during the weekly Big Ten teleconference. “We worked on it today. We’re coaching the young guys up, giving for a lot of young guys to play. We have a plan.’’

Fleck also said redshirt sophomore defensive back Kiondre Thomas didn’t accompany the team to Maryland because of a violation of team a rule. “If you don’t do the right things, you’re not going to play,’’ said Fleck, who didn’t say how long Thomas would be out.

As for Winfield, Fleck said Winfield underwent surgery on Monday and is in good spirits.

“He’s doing really well, recovering well,’’ Fleck said. “He’s going to spend some time at home [in The Woodlands, Texas] for a while and get back here.’’

http://www.startribune.com/in-repla...s-to-freshmen-and-antonio-shenault/494276761/

Go Gophers!!

Doesn't he still have to go to class?

He didn't come here to play no school.

Doesn't he still have to go to class?

I knew a guy who played at two B1G schools. He was a high grades kinda dude so he kept the average up for everyone ;) He said he'd go to class on the last day and some players would show up to take the final who he didn't even know were in the class ....

It all depends on the classes you have.

I knew a guy who played at two B1G schools. He was a high grades kinda dude so he kept the average up for everyone ;) He said he'd go to class on the last day and some players would show up to take the final who he didn't even know were in the class ....

It all depends on the classes you have.

With them all having to sit in the first row, I doubt that is happening here.

Most likely having surgery and recovering is a circumstance that gets him out of sitting in the front row at class for a little while. I'm sure he's still getting all of his classwork sent to him and stuff. Like someone else said, he might have a light semester after taking summer courses, so he won't fall behind.

If he's not sitting in the front row of a class, but rather studying from his home in TX, does he still need to wear a collared shirt?! ;)

I’m not sure why most lecture classes can’t be done remotely. Inertia?

I’m not sure why most lecture classes can’t be done remotely. Inertia?

I would bet inertia too. Lecture wise, the only complication is not being able to ask questions as a student, but there is technology to circumvent that if the Professor wanted (lecture may have to be structured a bit differently). Heck, with all the video call software we have now, just use that, and record the call. Those who may want to ask questions can join the call and those who just need the lecture can watch on their own time. I know some of the classes I took a few years ago had the lectures recorded and put online...but it was like a 10 day delay, which heavily discourages using it as a source for your lectures.

There's probably some that are worried that students wouldn't watch the lectures and then do poorly...but at that point I feel like its the student's responsibility to make sure they do what they need to learn.

With them all having to sit in the first row, I doubt that is happening here.

I hope so, but there is Winfield, going home, I doubt classes were canceled.

Not to say exceptions can't be made, but front row isn't happening there.

I would bet inertia too. Lecture wise, the only complication is not being able to ask questions as a student, but there is technology to circumvent that if the Professor wanted (lecture may have to be structured a bit differently). Heck, with all the video call software we have now, just use that, and record the call. Those who may want to ask questions can join the call and those who just need the lecture can watch on their own time. I know some of the classes I took a few years ago had the lectures recorded and put online...but it was like a 10 day delay, which heavily discourages using it as a source for your lectures.

There's probably some that are worried that students wouldn't watch the lectures and then do poorly...but at that point I feel like its the student's responsibility to make sure they do what they need to learn.

I've taken some graduate level courses recently as online classes and it's just not the same. It is better than nothing, but it's hard to replace face-to-face learning.

I've taken some graduate level courses recently as online classes and it's just not the same. It is better than nothing, but it's hard to replace face-to-face learning.

Absolutely. I did some job pivoting recently, paid a lot more and did some in person learning compared to the folks who chose cheaper online routes.

The difference between their abilities and those who did in person work, could ask questions at the time it was needed, work with a knowledgeable instructor is night and day.

If he had surgery in Texas, it makes sense for him to recover at home, and withdraw for the semester. I believe NCAA only requires that you make a certain % progress towards the total number of credits you need to graduate, each year. So you have summer and spring to make those credits.

As far as replacing him for this season, as I posted in the other thread: all of our DB seem to be around 5-11/6-0 and 190ish pounds (minor variations only, for some players) .... I wonder if we should just pick the best pure, overall DB as the replacement?

And what about Williamson? Still hurt?

Top Bottom