Last 4 years Gophers are 12-1 in nonconference; 0-4 in BT openers, outscored 129-63

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

• We should have learned this collective lesson by now: Nonconference victories over inferior opponents in college football have little bearing once the competition gets better — particularly when the team in question is the Gophers.

Minnesota started this year 3-0, leading to optimism heading into Maryland on Saturday. That quickly dissipated in the wake of a 42-13 defeat.

In the past four seasons, spanning three head coaches — Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys and P.J. Fleck — the Gophers are 12-1 in nonconference play. And they are 0-4 in Big Ten openers, losing by a combined score of 129-63.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-season-could-get-ugly-fast/494087261/

Go Gophers!!

5b0481d21b027.image.jpg

But non conference wins over inferior opponents give us one week to have multiple threads about how we will win 12 games etc etc etc

Don't go spoutin' facts around here! They're too depressing.

I need to at least be able to fantasize about a life that less closely resembles hell.

JTG

Speak English Randball! Are you saying the Gophers have been good in non conference and not so good in Big Ten openers? Geesh

Doesn't diminish the OP a single iota ...... but I'd be curious to know what the stats are over that same time period, for all the "non top 25 type" Big Ten programs. Guessing it's the exact same story.

Doesn't diminish the OP a single iota ...... but I'd be curious to know what the stats are over that same time period, for all the "non top 25 type" Big Ten programs. Guessing it's the exact same story.

Maybe but some of the Big Ten West teams have struggled in non conference. I think most except Wisconsin have lost to teams they shouldn’t have lost to and Wisconsin did that this year.

I mean, UCLA is 0-3 right now with losses to two G5 teams so I prefer this to that.

Clearly, not all FBS teams are created equal. Can you schedule yourself to 12-1? Yes, yes you can, although there are some good OOC wins there, like Fresno this year. No surprise to anyone, schedule 3 wins and try to get to a bowl. Nothing wrong with that, but just be real about it.

Last edited:

Geesh, it is hard to row the boat when someone keeps constantly yells the boat has leaks LOL!

We could just go back to the Brewster years and get pasted by non-conference foes as well.

Top Bottom