Haven't read all the threads, but I have a question: Wildcat broke, in dog house or..

imthewalrus

Reaction score
in the third and 4th quarters in the RED ZONE, did the coaches just forget we have a WILDCAT FORMATION? Our young qb has a gimpy leg. Things happen really fast inside the RED ZONE.

Please tell me that the coaches didn't just forget the Wildcat. The coaches with their calls came out of two red zone situations in the second half with ZERO points. The coach called the wildcat in just one time in the first half for a ball carry or pass. What happened in the 2nd half?
Did the coaches lay down and die? Did they just forget? The coaches call the shots.

Please tell me that our WILD CAT was merely hurt and unable to go. If so, maybe his injuries will heal. If not, I don't know if this staff knows how to play Big Ten Football and give their players a chance to win.

So, please fill me in IF this issues was addressed elsewhere in some long thread.

What I saw in the RED ZONE in the 3rd and 4th quarters was NOT GOOD at all. I think maybe I just missed some comments about the situation...If it hasn't been mentioned...it NEEDS to be discussed. Maybe the coaches are just "saving" it for some important situation later in the season. As for me, I think the ONLY way this team gets a bowl invitation is for the coaching staff to use ALL the talent that it has at it's disposal. THAT would include the GOPHER WILDCAT.

Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER!

Last edited:

The wildcat doesn't work when your not getting any push from the O-line.

The wildcat doesn't work when your not getting any push from the O-line.

This might have something to do with it, but they could have tried the Seth Green passes when everyone else thinks he will run wildcat.

+
This might have something to do with it, but they could have tried the Seth Green passes when everyone else thinks he will run wildcat.

+1. You have the ability to see the OPTION that the wildcat presents, WorkingMyTailOff. Poor ZA doesn't even walk very quickly now and things in the RED ZONE move very quickly for a gimpy true freshman once BIG TEN play starts.

Otherwise, the minute the team hits the RED ZONE just line up and kick the field goal and at least get some points in the RZ.

Love THE semi-random (I hope) capitalization IN these POSTS.

The whole WHY DIDN'T WE DO THE OTHER THING!?!?! is a common thread in all of sports.

Either the coach's actually forgot the playbook and / or us fans all know better, or there's something more to it....

Outside of specific cases where data shows coach's are sometimes too conservative (NFL going for it on 4th and etc), I'm going with the there is something more to it...

Never thought I'd be in the position to back up our favorite town lunatic, the legendary ol' wramblin' wren.

But he's right, I was shocked at the lack of Wildcat useage in the red zone on Saturday, made zero sense.

Didn't you listen to Fleck's post game press conference?

Someone asked about using the wildcat and his reply was, "Dammit, I knew I forgot something!!!"

Someone asked about using the wildcat and his reply was, "Dammit, I knew I forgot something!!!"

We need more fans screaming play calls from the stands.

Yeah that got me too! At least he admitted it. I think it was at the 4:19 mark

+

+1. You have the ability to see the OPTION that the wildcat presents, WorkingMyTailOff. Poor ZA doesn't even walk very quickly now and things in the RED ZONE move very quickly for a gimpy true freshman once BIG TEN play starts.

Otherwise, the minute the team hits the RED ZONE just line up and kick the field goal and at least get some points in the RZ.

Agreed! Tikitied thought it was game over in the second quarter but the Gophers left a lot of points on the board.

Forget, of course not. Every modern O coordinator these days has a giant, color coded, laminated sheet sitting in front of him, the whole game, with ALL the plays. Broken up into every possible situation (short yardage, 3rd and long, pass, run, etc etc etc).

But what CAN happen is the following: coach dials up a play early, we run it, it gets crushed, and he puts a big "X" by that play, signalling not to run that again any time soon. Well, after not running it for a while, he can forget to come back to it to try it again. That type of thing does happen.

Actually, the coaching staff could use all the help they can get and Big Ten wins...

We need more fans screaming play calls from the stands.

There is nothing more to say in response to a " slab's" pithy comments. However, I agree, more butts in the seats at the home games would be a positive thing though Slab. Yes, we need MORE fans screaming anything from the stands!

Last edited:

Forget, of course not. Every modern O coordinator these days has a giant, color coded, laminated sheet sitting in front of him, the whole game, with ALL the plays. Broken up into every possible situation (short yardage, 3rd and long, pass, run, etc etc etc).

But what CAN happen is the following: coach dials up a play early, we run it, it gets crushed, and he puts a big "X" by that play, signalling not to run that again any time soon. Well, after not running it for a while, he can forget to come back to it to try it again. That type of thing does happen.

A fair point and a possible partial reason for not using the Wildcat option in the RZ in the 3rd and 4th quarters when the Gopher might have been able to climb back into the game by scoring some points. Thank you.

At the risk of sounding cynical - if the play-caller checks off every play that doesn't work, and at some point, he runs out of plays, then what do you do?

FWIW, our WR's may not be ultra-fast (with possible exception of Bateman), but I wouldn't mind seeing some jet sweep action - if for no other reason than to give the defense a different look.

And (time to beat the dead horse), in college FB, I think you NEED to have a dual-threat QB. I'm not saying the QB has to be Superman, but he should be able to run the occasional option, or QB draw, or scramble out of the pocket and turn a loss into no gain, or a short gain. Right now, the Gophers are playing a QB who can barely walk, let alone run. That takes a lot of options away from the offense. If Morgan and Annexstad were really as close as Fleck said, then Morgan should be playing over a QB with no mobility. the fact that the Gophers would rather play a guy on one leg tells you what they really think of the backup QB.

We are running the innovative FLAMINGO offense. Nektons require no legs.

They didn't just forget the wildcat.

I think Fleck overplayed his hand with the wildcat during the non conference portion of the schedule. Every team in the Big Ten will be ready. He should kept it in his back pocket a little more.

More Seth Green please. RELEASE THE BEAST!

I think a lot of the reason is that without blitzing they were getting enough pressure to put Green in a really bad spot - he either would have nowhere to run or too much pressure to pass. While he may be more agile than Annexstad, his passing game is not as advanced, and putting him under the kind of pressure ZA was facing is a recipe for disaster.

I think a lot of the reason is that without blitzing they were getting enough pressure to put Green in a really bad spot - he either would have nowhere to run or too much pressure to pass. While he may be more agile than Annexstad, his passing game is not as advanced, and putting him under the kind of pressure ZA was facing is a recipe for disaster.

Glad they avoided that.

Blitzing? They got pressure rushing 3 guys

So...then just poor play selection by the OC. Seem to remember a short pass play he frequently ran unsuccessfully. Got it, thanks.

So...then just poor play selection by the OC. Seem to remember a short pass play he frequently ran unsuccessfully. Got it, thanks.

You got me there!! That bubble screen simply did not work. I think I recall it at least three times.

Hey, the Vikings even tried to run it once last night (that I recall). And Thielen blocked for it about as well as Tyler Johnson blocked for it. If the DB shoots it ... the play is deader than a doornail.

I think Fleck overplayed his hand with the wildcat during the non conference portion of the schedule. Every team in the Big Ten will be ready. He should kept it in his back pocket a little more.

I disagree, I think our OL just got overpowered and the wildcat wasn't likely to do much anyway....

We're not good enough yet to hide a lot of plays IMO.

Top Bottom