Worse Game? Gophers or Vikings?

Vikings by a mile. A team with Diggs, Theilen, Barr, Kendricks, Rhodes, Smith and Cousins tossing the ball can't get the job done against Buffalo?

The Vikings game was worse, but they were both pretty awful performances. Hope both teams do some soul-searching in the coming days. Can't bring those kind of efforts on gameday and expect to go anywhere.

The one similarity between the games: In the Gopher game, the Gophers seemed flat, while Maryland was jumping around and enthusiastic. In the Vikings game, the Vikings were incredibly flat, while Buffalo was fired up, with their QB setting the tone.

In each case, the team that showed more emotion won the game. Now, some of that has to come from the players, but the coaches also play a role in getting teams mentally ready for a game.

Certainly, the Vikings game is a bigger surprise. As I have said, given the Gophers' youth, it's next to impossible to predict what is going to happen from week to week. They could come out and beat Iowa in two weeks, or get run off the field, and neither outcome would surprise me. It's impossible to be surprised when you have no expectations.

Man, what a depressing weekend for a Minnesota football fan, lol. Hopefull your favorite HS team won on Friday!

Man, what a depressing weekend for a Minnesota football fan, lol. Hopefull your favorite HS team won on Friday!

The team I cover for my radio station lost 51-0 and finished with 53 yards total offense. Does that answer your question?

The Vikings took Buffalo lightly. Any other team, Cook and Griffen both play. Zimmer sent the wrong message.

The Vikings game was a disaster of epic proportions, whereas the Gophers were merely disappointing.

Just look at the odds. A close game was predicted at Maryland. Well, the Gophers failed to keep it close. The Vikings, on the other hand, were favored by a point spread seldom offered in the NFL ... and lost the game in the first quarter! After kicking away their chances to win last week!

Man, what a depressing weekend for a Minnesota football fan, lol.

On the contrary, I found myself with some extra time to handle outdoor chores on a beautiful fall weekend! Yep, I was a bit disappointed the Gophers didn't provide a better showing, but I learned 30 years ago to never invest hope in the Vikings.

JTG

Vikings have averaged 29 points per game in their last 4.5 games.
And they are supposed to be Super Bowl contenders.

Minnesota State Moorhead beat University of Mary in Bismarck, so there's that.

Really? Vikings and it’s not even close. Favored by more than 2 TD’s.

Not even close Vikings. They didn't even bother to show up for the game.

Vikings hands down. Being paid millions to stink in every aspect of the game is brutal.

Vikings by a mile!! Terrible League Terrible Team Terrible Stadium Terrible fans

Vikings and it is not close in any way shape of form. Both games were similar in that the Minnesota team got down quick but that is where the similarity stops.

The Gophers are a young team that was playing on the road against what is probably going to turn out to be a solid opponent. The Gophers were slight favorites but this game was at best a tossup on paper. This is supposed to be a building year for the Gophers with little to no expectations on being able to compete for the Big Ten or division title.

The Vikings are a team with Super Bowl aspirations playing at home against an 0-2 team which had been blown out in their first two games of the season. They were also huge favorites, I think I heard them say it was one of the biggest lines in the NFL in a long time with the Vikes favored by over 2 TDs (might be wrong on this but the Vikings were huge favorites). Hopefully this just turns out to be one of those "trap" games that went sideways early on the favorite and blew up on them. Because it is hard to feel good about their Super Bowl prospects at the moment after getting destroyed by what is supposed to be one of the worst teams in the NFL this year.

Both games sucked but the Vikings game was far far worse then the Gophers when you look at the big picture of where the programs are at right now.

The one similarity between the games: In the Gopher game, the Gophers seemed flat, while Maryland was jumping around and enthusiastic. In the Vikings game, the Vikings were incredibly flat, while Buffalo was fired up, with their QB setting the tone.

In each case, the team that showed more emotion won the game. Now, some of that has to come from the players, but the coaches also play a role in getting teams mentally ready for a game.

Certainly, the Vikings game is a bigger surprise. As I have said, given the Gophers' youth, it's next to impossible to predict what is going to happen from week to week. They could come out and beat Iowa in two weeks, or get run off the field, and neither outcome would surprise me. It's impossible to be surprised when you have no expectations.

Not surprising the Gophers played flat. Their friend and teammate died on Thursday, they flew out Friday and played their first road game Saturday. They were in a daze and it showed. Not an excuse, just a good reason for those young lads. Vikings had no reason for their poor play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Who cares? Both suck and hockey’s starting.

Beginning of the season and you're bailing out. Curious as to which hockey team you're supporting. You haven't liked anything in Minnesota yet.

They are equal on the scale of being horrific. The game loss was far worse for the Vikings; but the Gophers lost AND lost their best player, for the rest of the season, in the process.

In both cases, seasons that still brought excitement and hope just prior to their respective kickoffs now feel heavily damaged.

What you're experiencing is the typical life of a Minnesota sports fan.

Last edited:

Vikes not even close, gophs looked bad, but it was a pickem game on the road, Vikes got shelled at home against the worst team in the league as two TD favorites

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Dumb question. The Gophers aren't even close to being mentioned as a possible champion. If the Viking loss caused Paul Allen to be miserable, it's worth it.

No compaison. Gophers lost to a decent team with a quality win and the vikes lost to the laughing stock of the nfl thereby becoming a laughing stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The team I cover for my radio station lost 51-0 and finished with 53 yards total offense. Does that answer your question?

Ouch
I watched two games in person. HS team lost 42 13, college team my son plays on lost 31 0 to go along with Gophers and Vikings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be the dumbest question asked on GH in some time. Vikings and it's not even in the same stratosphere.

The Gophers weren't even favored, so obviously the worse game was the Vikings.

My favorite stat from the Vikings was 55 pass attempts vs. 6 rush attempts (2 of those by Cousins)

Dumb question. The Gophers aren't even close to being mentioned as a possible champion. If the Viking loss caused Paul Allen to be miserable, it's worth it.

That's sort of the consolation prize with each loss.

Top Bottom