Which direction will this team take into the rest of the season?

Rog

Reaction score
There could be a complete bust and many on this board will be asking for another change in coaching -

A B10 win or two but not making anyone happy.

Not many wins but last 4 games brighten things up when we can us red shirt players and not lose their red shirts.

GROWING PAINS are tough to go through.

I don't even know how to react after this first road game.

After seeing Wisc and Iowa game last night, we have a long way to go to be in that league!

I think it could be a combo of any of the choices up there with the exception of the first. Anyone who wants to start over again after just two seasons is delusional. Love him or hate him you have to give Fleck some time to try and do things his way and make it work. This team has a ton of youth in key places so there are going to be ups and downs. Yesterday was disappointing all the way around but especially on the part of the defense as they put the offense behind the eight ball early and forced them to play catchup.

Good time for a bye week. Take a little time to regroup and get back at it and try to fix the things that went wrong yesterday without having to worry about prepping as much for a next opponent right away.

6 very winnable games left. Win just three and we’re bowling with a shot at 7 wins.

Realistic goal was always just to get to bowl eligibility. Did I want more, yes! But now after that game I'll settle with reaching the realistic goal, get the players the extra practice and experience that comes with a bowl game, any bowl game. Come back next year with a more experienced offense!

6 very winnable games left. Win just three and we’re bowling with a shot at 7 wins.

I'd say we have 5 winnable (not "very" winnable) games left. Based on what I've seen so far this season, I think Iowa is a bridge too far for this team. They don't have an explosive offensive team, but their tall receivers will be a handful for our short DBs. And I don't think our offense is capable of scoring enough against their defense to win.

I do agree that we can still win 7 but I think that's our ceiling. The 2013 and 2016 teams lost their first two conference games and then proceeded to win four straight but those were veteran teams.

I'm hoping the team shows some resiliency and gets back to being competitive.

Unfortunately, if this year's conference season mirrors last, there are going to be a lot of people ready to jump ship if the 2019 campaign doesn't show marked improvement. You can't keep selling recruits and fans on being elite when you're constantly getting your ass kicked.

The Maryland game was a huge disappointment. The Gophers don't have to win to make me happy, but they have to provide entertainment value. Yesterday, I switched the TV off early in the third quarter.

I don't expect this squad to be capable of hanging with the powerhouse programs, but Maryland is no powerhouse, regardless of how good we made them look. I would have been satisfied to see the squad put up a good fight, but fall short. Instead, I saw the Gophers outplayed (and, at least by extension, outcoached) to the point where I could no longer stand to watch.

The eye test tells me the Gophers have upgraded their talent level. And I'm also on board with the notion that kids 18 and 19 years old are going to have a tough time matching up physically with guys who are a few years older. BUT, if this team isn't capable of at least hanging in there against run-of-the-mill conference competition, I have better things to do.

JTG

A bowl game is my hope for this squad too. However, the performance yesterday minimized the likelihood that will happen.

BIG games are usually won or lost in the trenches and we really lack what it will take.

Winnable games? Probably Illini, If we split against NU, IU, PU and Neb we will be fortunate.

A bowl game is my hope for this squad too. However, the performance yesterday minimized the likelihood that will happen.

BIG games are usually won or lost in the trenches and we really lack what it will take.

Winnable games? Probably Illini, If we split against NU, IU, PU and Neb we will be fortunate.

Every week can completley change the outlook/feeling of a team. This loss made me feel like the team is light years behind the rest of the BIG. A good game against Iowa could make me feel like a bowl game is totally expected. I really hope this was just a bad game and that was all there was to it.

as someone whose glass is always half full, it is very difficult for me to find anyone we can beat. Indiana, Illinois were two that I thought were sure wins. After yesterday’s performance I am not sure we can scrimmage ourselves and win. Without question our offensive and defensive lines were no shows. Our coaching staff were out coached — who has to call time out before a play is run after the quarter break simply because we didn’t have the right personnel in the game to run the play called in the time out. Someone questioned our weight program. I was under the impression that we had taken a step forward from the Klein era. Not sure now. As you can see, I need someone to cheer me up. I have experienced days like this before after a poor performance but not in recent memory. We didn’t win very many individual battles against at best, an average team. The future doesn’t look very bright.

as someone whose glass is always half full, it is very difficult for me to find anyone we can beat. Indiana, Illinois were two that I thought were sure wins. After yesterday’s performance I am not sure we can scrimmage ourselves and win. Without question our offensive and defensive lines were no shows. Our coaching staff were out coached — who has to call time out before a play is run after the quarter break simply because we didn’t have the right personnel in the game to run the play called in the time out. Someone questioned our weight program. I was under the impression that we had taken a step forward from the Klein era. Not sure now. As you can see, I need someone to cheer me up. I have experienced days like this before after a poor performance but not in recent memory. We didn’t win very many individual battles against at best, an average team. The future doesn’t look very bright.
It’s so easy to feel this way after a bad performance like yesterday but I need to see more conference games before I go into depressed mode. We won two conference games last year and I’m convinced we’ve improved so I still expect at minimum three more wins. Purdue Indiana and Northwestern are all at home. Win just two of those and one of Iowa Nebraska and Illinois.

Realistic goal was always just to get to bowl eligibility. Did I want more, yes! But now after that game I'll settle with reaching the realistic goal, get the players the extra practice and experience that comes with a bowl game, any bowl game. Come back next year with a more experienced offense!

Minimum expectation IMHO. Blown out. Yes. Does one game make a season? No.

Yesterday was a learning experience. Depends on what the coaching staff does with it (they needed to learn as well IMO).

Unfortunately, if this year's conference season mirrors last, there are going to be a lot of people ready to jump ship if the 2019 campaign doesn't show marked improvement. You can't keep selling recruits and fans on being elite when you're constantly getting your ass kicked.

The Maryland game was a huge disappointment. The Gophers don't have to win to make me happy, but they have to provide entertainment value. Yesterday, I switched the TV off early in the third quarter.

I don't expect this squad to be capable of hanging with the powerhouse programs, but Maryland is no powerhouse, regardless of how good we made them look. I would have been satisfied to see the squad put up a good fight, but fall short. Instead, I saw the Gophers outplayed (and, at least by extension, outcoached) to the point where I could no longer stand to watch.

The eye test tells me the Gophers have upgraded their talent level. And I'm also on board with the notion that kids 18 and 19 years old are going to have a tough time matching up physically with guys who are a few years older. BUT, if this team isn't capable of at least hanging in there against run-of-the-mill conference competition, I have better things to do.

JTG

Not trying to say Maryland is a powerhouse but they may be better this year than a lot of us are giving them credit for. They laid a massive egg last week against Temple but they also beat a Texas team that has now knocked off 2 straight ranked opponents and is being talked about as a potential championship team in the Big 12.

Maryland played well yesterday and we dug a huge hole right off the bat which took our offense out of its comfort zone. Getting blown out is always disappointing but I think there is a solid chance that Maryland might not be viewed as the pushover many of our fans want to see them as when it is all said and done.

Down. 6 wins looks more like a pipe dream now. 4-5 seems realistic.

I'd say we have 5 winnable (not "very" winnable) games left. Based on what I've seen so far this season, I think Iowa is a bridge too far for this team. They don't have an explosive offensive team, but their tall receivers will be a handful for our short DBs. And I don't think our offense is capable of scoring enough against their defense to win.

I do agree that we can still win 7 but I think that's our ceiling. The 2013 and 2016 teams lost their first two conference games and then proceeded to win four straight but those were veteran teams.

ESPN FPI agrees with you. Here are the win percentages for the remaining games according to their computer:

vs Iowa 33.6%
@ #4 Ohio State 3.7%
@ Nebraska 59.5%
vs Indiana 57.2%
@ Illinois 65.9%
vs Purdue 54.3%
vs Northwestern 54.0%
@ #15 Wisconsin 12.4%

The injury to Winfield was catastrophic and ZA is an injured, immobile, inexperienced tackling dummy. Get those two back close to 100% and we improve significantly. I have to believe they will get the blocking schemes figured out. The individual talent may remain an issue but at least unblocked guys coming free may get better. Defensively, I don’t know if there are easy answers on the defensive line and the back 7 had trouble staying in their lanes, poor recognition, poor tackling at times. I have to believe that can/will improve as time goes on.

Due to the youth on the squad the team should improve at a better clip than our more experienced foes. Yesterday was a Hindenburg-type moment but let’s see how much they improve. Maryland smacked us and may be better than we think.

If anyone asks for a coaching change based upon this game has no clue. You have to give him 4 years of his recruits. I would argue all coaches should get 6 years so that they can have 4 years of their guys (5 if they redshirt them) and an extra year to make sure you balance out the potential attrition from the previous regime (year 0 if you well but I hate that term). It's just the way it has to be when you have had a program mired in mediocrity (at best) like the Gophers.

If anyone asks for a coaching change based upon this game has no clue. You have to give him 4 years of his recruits. I would argue all coaches should get 6 years so that they can have 4 years of their guys (5 if they redshirt them) and an extra year to make sure you balance out the potential attrition from the previous regime (year 0 if you well but I hate that term). It's just the way it has to be when you have had a program mired in mediocrity (at best) like the Gophers.

I don’t think anyone has even suggested that? We’re just a bunch of dudes talking about the game. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad. I would argue, though, that sometimes there are red flags pretty early on. Many here had Claeys pegged as a failure halfway through his first season due to in game issues, slow recruiting, and likely some prejudice about his appearance and dislike of his personality.

I don’t think anyone has even suggested that? We’re just a bunch of dudes talking about the game. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad. I would argue, though, that sometimes there are red flags pretty early on. Many here had Claeys pegged as a failure halfway through his first season due to in game issues, slow recruiting, and likely some prejudice about his appearance and dislike of his personality.

P.E.: I was referencing the first line of the O.P., but I certainly agree with you.

Sad but true - the rest of this season is going to be nail-biting and stomach-churning time. There may be a couple of more losses like Maryland ( I hope not too many)- but I also expect several games that will literally go right down to the wire. I would not be surprised if at least 3 or 4 games are not decided until the final drive, or even the final play.

Keep the Tums and the Maalox handy. Or the beer of your choice. As a non-drinker, I just swear a lot. (I could teach sailors how to curse......seriously - I got fired at a job once, and one of the reasons they gave for firing me was excessive profanity.)

Not trying to say Maryland is a powerhouse but they may be better this year than a lot of us are giving them credit for. They laid a massive egg last week against Temple but they also beat a Texas team that has now knocked off 2 straight ranked opponents and is being talked about as a potential championship team in the Big 12.

Maryland played well yesterday and we dug a huge hole right off the bat which took our offense out of its comfort zone. Getting blown out is always disappointing but I think there is a solid chance that Maryland might not be viewed as the pushover many of our fans want to see them as when it is all said and done.

You could be right. As with all things, time will tell.

JTG

Sad but true - the rest of this season is going to be nail-biting and stomach-churning time. There may be a couple of more losses like Maryland ( I hope not too many)- but I also expect several games that will literally go right down to the wire. I would not be surprised if at least 3 or 4 games are not decided until the final drive, or even the final play.

Keep the Tums and the Maalox handy. Or the beer of your choice. As a non-drinker, I just swear a lot. (I could teach sailors how to curse......seriously - I got fired at a job once, and one of the reasons they gave for firing me was excessive profanity.)

That’s ******* hilarious. I suppose if this was a community reporter type position, dealing with the public/juveniles etc then excessive swearing is probably not acceptable, but OTOH my imaginary impression of an editor (behind closed doors) is nonstop profanity (and cigar smoking).

JTG

This is a very good post that sums things up pretty well. Not close to panic time, but you can't have too many stinkers like that and keep people caring.

Seems like we have 5 games left that are either toss ups or where we are slightly favored. I doubt we'll win all 5 but we have a good enough chance to make a bowl game and have the potential for a very nice season if things go right.

Iowa we have only a slight chance and Ohio State and Wisconsin are pretty much hopeless.

My fear is that we could get blown out by Iowa and OSU and then sit around the rest of the season feeling sorry for ourselves and not doing much. Seems like we gave up pretty quickly yesterday and I'm afraid we do the same with the season. If the team doesn't stay focused, 3-9 isn't out of the question either.

I originally thought we would beat Iowa. Now I’m expecting to get routed. Considering the last 3 Big Ten games we were outscored 112-13, things could get ugly with two more blowouts to follow.

I originally thought we would beat Iowa. Now I’m expecting to get routed. Considering the last 3 Big Ten games we were outscored 112-13, things could get ugly with two more blowouts to follow.

I’m shocked you think we’ll get routed considering your normally rosy outlook on things.

I've always thought that this season, my expectations are the Gophers are going to finish the season anywhere from a record of 8-4 (5-4 B1G) and 4-8 (1-8 B1G). Potentially, a minimum low expectation of another 5-7 finish after a Maryland, Iowa, and tOSU losses and almost certainly going 0-3 at the start of B1G play.

This factors in the potential to win two against the following: Nebraska, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern. Wisconsin will out class them again this year.

But, we all know they have a lot of work ahead with youth and inexperience. Now, injuries exposed the lack of team depth and experience in almost all aspects of the game.

They were outclassed by a Maryland team with better overall talent, more experience, depth, and team speed.

The biggest glowing deficit to me as exposed by the nonconference games is the Offensive Line. They were getting pushed around especially on the tackle spots. I remember thinking this is not going to work in the Big Ten.

Talent-wise, they are not there yet as Maryland has proven the leaks on the LT and RT on the O-Line to be legit. The TEs, FB, and RB not blocking or missing assignments aren't helping make the situation better. They need to help block successfully.

Watch Wisconsin's and Iowa's offense work on Youtube. They really execute their protection schemes well compared to the Gophers. Each player not running or catching the ball rarely miss blocking assignments.

The Gophers can't win many games with their QB hobbling and under constant relentless pressure. They will fix this in time with experience and maturity in the strength and conditioning program.

Compare the Gophers starting Offensive Linemen against Iowa's and Wisconsin's (See attachment), and we know the Gophers truly are are out-classed for Big Ten play. The Wiscy OLs looked bigger, tougher, stronger, and leaner on TV. But, the day will come when the Gophers will get to that level. PJ Fleck and his Gophers staff are paying attention to details.

Right now, there are just so many things to fix and not enough scholarships to give out in one year to address all their needs.

This season, they just need to play more underclassmen to give them the experience. The caliber of the OL as a unit is disappointing compared to their competition. They have a total of 18 Offensive Linemen 2 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 3 Sophomores, and 10 Freshmen. Senior Donnell Greene is getting beaten at the tackle spot. Jared Weyler plays solid at Center.

Of the Juniors, Dickson is red shirted (academics?), I don't know how effective Dovich and Oseland are. Sophomore Davis haven't shown much, and I don't know how Schlueter and Olson are doing.

They have 10 Freshmen. I think Andries is going to be a future star. I don't know which FR also played or whose red shirts will be burned. The Gophers have no choice but to play several. Hopefully, they red shirt Dunlop and Faalele. The foundation is there for a strong Offensive Line. IMHO, they need to recruit two or three each year.

The recent history of Gopher linemen is that they have a high attrition rate with people like Stieber, Moore, Connelly, Wright, and Calhoun gone through graduation, health, or other reasons. Now, I understand why PJ Fleck normally don't want to recruit JC players. The simple reason is the JC route is a quick fix. The penalty is you don't have them for four years. The Gophers did not have any choice due to the serious class imbalance. If Wright and Calhoun were still around, we would have felt better with the Gophers' chances.

If you look at Wisconsin and Iowa - we know the Gophers have long road to go reach their level of success with their Offensive Line. It starts with the hope of the strong FR class. I am not pleased that in 2019, the Gophers have only one commit - JJ Guedet. It is not over yet and maybe PJ Fleck will pull a late surprise with the two remaining scholies.

Take Wisconsin. They only have 17 Offensive Linemen listed. They have 3 Seniors, 4 Juniors, and 3 Sophomores. They are massive at 305 to 325 lbs. They have 3 solid Seniors, 4 solid Juniors, and 3 solid Sophomores. The remaining 7 are Freshmen. They have a balance in their Offensive Line. Their numbers seem to indicate program stability at this position class. They recruit well into their system with mostly 3 Stars who are developed in their program.

Iowa is taking their OL seriously as they have 21 on their roster: They have 3 Seniors, 3 Juniors, and 3 Sophomores. They have 12 Freshmen. Their starting lineup is not as big as Wiscy's on average, but IMO they have a very strong OL program. Now, maybe of the current 12 Freshmen there may be 3 or 4 left by the time they are seniors. I would expect that they must have a strong program with a high attrition rate due to the toughness of their program. Right now, it seems like the Gophers are just trying to put enough bodies on the line without sacrificing the long term development by burning too many red shirts.

The talent level for Minnesota in 2018 according to 247 Sports is #44. Their opponents: Maryland #21, Iowa #37, Ohio State #1, Nebraska #23, Indiana #54, Illinois #52, Purdue #67, Northwestern #39, and WI #30. This isn't the entire story because they are only going by recruiting ranking. Purdue, Illinois, and Indiana have shown improvements beyond their rankings.

In all seriousness, making it to a bowl this year will do wonders for the team going into 2019.

O-LINE COMPARISON 2018 -MN-WI-IA.jpg

Last edited:

We will see the toughness of this team in the next game against Iowa. Still a lot of season left, but this team can still get 3-4 more games. They need to make a bowl this year. I don't care if it's the Quick Lane Bowl or what we need the extra practice and opportunity to go bowling.

Top Bottom