Team Talent Rankings

caliGopher

Reaction score
Guys-

If you hadn't noticed, 247sports posted the total team talent before the game. I knew we were done before the game started. They have the 21st best talent in all of the country. We have the 44th. How could we possibly win? It's not like Maryland got stomped by the 127th team in the total team talent ranking the week before. There is no coaching. There is no preparation. I've been told by people who are much, much smarter than I am that the talent on the team is ALL. THAT. MATTERS.

The good news is that we have better talent according to 247Sports.com than Illinois, Purdue and Indiana, so we're guaranteed 6 wins!

It was a bad game. The coaching issues appear to be a trend, and that's a concern. We learned just how good our 6th in the nation defense really is, but we've got a long way to go. The problems with the offense were in the numbers in the first three games, but we were able to overcome them because those teams were not very good. Anyone that hadn't seen this coming when we got to the BigTen wasn't paying attention.

That said, the week off will do the team well. Hopefully Annexstad and Winfield will heal up, and the team will learn from this. I have faith they will get better with experience. The only thing I'm counting on at this point.

Where does Temple rank? They beat this same Maryland powerhouse the week prior. I think there is more than some subjective talent ranking based a lot on previous years wins.

I assume you are being sarcastic on some of your post...or are you feeling grumpy and depressed with the performance? Or both LOL?

I find talent rankings silly, especially when they are based on recruiting rankings. That would be like saying Thielen is not a talented wide receiver for the Vikings because he went undrafted.

How did Maryland's vaunted talent hold up in the B1G season last year?

If I can presume to read Cali's mind -

I think what he is getting at is this: presuming that team A has a talent advantage (real or perceived) over Team B, the question becomes one of coaching. How can the Team B coaches negate Team A's talent advantage by schemes, match-ups and motivation?

If it was as simple as "most talented team wins," there would never be any upsets. since we know that upsets do happen, then we get back to figuring out the anatomy of an upset. What did the underdogs do to pull off the upset? Can it be replicated?

Personally, I am a big believer that match-ups tend to explain a lot. Team A's schemes and personnel may give it a match-up advantage over Team B - but Team A may be a bad match-up against Team C. Short of rolling out an entirely new offensive or defensive scheme from week to week, coaches must look for ways to come up with the most favorable match-ups possible against the opponent. Minimize your weaknesses and maximize your strengths. That's what makes an effective coaching staff in my book.

Guys-

If you hadn't noticed, 247sports posted the total team talent before the game. I knew we were done before the game started. They have the 21st best talent in all of the country. We have the 44th. How could we possibly win? It's not like Maryland got stomped by the 127th team in the total team talent ranking the week before. There is no coaching. There is no preparation. I've been told by people who are much, much smarter than I am that the talent on the team is ALL. THAT. MATTERS.

The good news is that we have better talent according to 247Sports.com than Illinois, Purdue and Indiana, so we're guaranteed 6 wins!

It was a bad game. The coaching issues appear to be a trend, and that's a concern. We learned just how good our 6th in the nation defense really is, but we've got a long way to go. The problems with the offense were in the numbers in the first three games, but we were able to overcome them because those teams were not very good. Anyone that hadn't seen this coming when we got to the BigTen wasn't paying attention.

That said, the week off will do the team well. Hopefully Annexstad and Winfield will heal up, and the team will learn from this. I have faith they will get better with experience. The only thing I'm counting on at this point.

Gee...I wonder how Sconnie has done it all these years with its dearth of talent.

Where does Temple rank? They beat this same Maryland powerhouse the week prior. I think there is more than some subjective talent ranking based a lot on previous years wins.

I assume you are being sarcastic on some of your post...or are you feeling grumpy and depressed with the performance? Or both LOL?

Temple is 127th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one has ever said that.

Are you sure?

The talent gap between Temple and Maryland is twice what it was against the Gophers last year and three times this year. It's just shocking that Maryland could lose to Temple. But totally understandable the Gophers would lose based on the lack of talent.

09-30-2017, 08:33 PM #38
GopherWeatherGuy
GopherWeatherGuy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Some Day...Maybe View Post
You guys ever heard of year 1 vs year 4, 5, or 6? Or no? Too bad we still don't have Claeys, the program would be in such better shape. Darn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was just giving credit to the previous staff who I thought were very good with X's and O's on defense. If you follow my posts at all, I'll take Fleck over Claeys all day everyday. Fleck will get the talent here, it just takes time. The whole basis of this thread was to point out the talent gap between Maryland and Minnesota. The sleeping giant of Maryland is more likely to awaken sooner than Minnesota. But Washington DC is also a talent rich area.

Don't bother trying to convince him, he only hears what reinforces his bias.

not even close to true. Better talent will make a difference. Better coaching will make a difference too. According to the results of 247 Sports, we don't have the talent. Then again, using the same logic, Tom Brady is still just a sixth round pick in the NFL. No "Talent" there.

We need better talent, we need better coaching. Last year's class was a step up in talent, but not a major leap. This year's class, unless there are significant changes, will be a wash vs. where the team ranked relative to historical classes.

If Fleck can maintain higher rated classes, AND prove he can coach in the Big Ten, great. We'll see. Until then, I support the team and the University, then the coach. Always have. Always will.

Top Bottom