Antoine Winfield Jr Injury Watch (Out for the Season)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Any news on Winfield's injury?

Go Gophers!!

What happened to him? I didn't watch the game.

Oh man losing Rodney was bad enough. Hope it’s not too bad

Hard to know, other than it was diagnosed as a left foot injury. Happened on Maryland's second or third offensive play, he went to the locker room and came back out without a helmet the rest of the day. Hope it's not broken, hope it's not a heel or Achilles, but it looked like a non-contact injury. The whole team was deflated after he went down.

And we couldn't decipher much, because BTN was horrible today. Very few if any replays. And they had an embarrassing graphic early on that said Terrell Smith was out indefinitely with a leg injury. It was supposed to be Shannon Brooks. For a network that supposedly brings in millions for each conference school, their broadcast crews and producers regularly embarrass themselves with bad information and not knowing player names other than the 2 or 3 best players. If I wanted to watch amateurs, I would watch high school football live streams.

They taped the crap out of his ankle in a attempt to get him back in.... no doubt it was an ankle. I'm sure you saw him on the sidelines all 2nd half moving about. I believe you will see him in 2 weeks agains Iowa.

Last edited:

They taped the crap out of his ankle in a attempt to get him back in.... no doubt it was an ankle. I'm sure you saw u=him on the sidelines all 2nd half moving about. I believe you will see him in 2 weeks agains Iowa.

Really hope so. When someone mentioned foot earlier I was wondering how one breaks a bone in your foot on a non contact play.

They taped the crap out of his ankle in a attempt to get him back in.... no doubt it was an ankle. I'm sure you saw u=him on the sidelines all 2nd half moving about. I believe you will see him in 2 weeks agains Iowa.

Fingers crossed.

Fleck said he wanted to go in. I think the training staff wouldn’t let him. With everything that is happing to the program on the other side of the fields training staff I hope ours was just using caution. Hopefully they get some X-rays and they come back negative so he is good to go in 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We saw Calvin Swenson 27, but mostly Jordan Howden 23 at safety yesterday. I saw later Howden is a walk-on freshman. There was talk about Benny Sapp playing safety and he’s played in 4 games this season. There is also Josh Aune who played in game 1.

What’s the story on Howden being the backup rather than one of the scholarship players?

Winfield is so good but has to figure out how to stay healthy

We saw Calvin Swenson 27, but mostly Jordan Howden 23 at safety yesterday. I saw later Howden is a walk-on freshman. There was talk about Benny Sapp playing safety and he’s played in 4 games this season. There is also Josh Aune who played in game 1.

What’s the story on Howden being the backup rather than one of the scholarship players?
Howden had a really really good camp. He is a walk-on but not your typical one like Annexstad. There was some question about whether he would qualify and he did so late so teams that had been after him earlier had already filled up. I think Boise State was one, maybe UNLV, and a few other Mountain West teams. He visited this summer with 2019 commit Cam Wiley and the staff tried to keep it kind of quiet to make sure nobody else was able to swoop in with an offer.

A possible angle on this is that Fleck is saving Sapp for a redshirt season and didn't want to use up one of his four games at Maryland.

He didn’t have a great game. You’re hearing he projects higher than the other guys? Of course we’ll suffer growing pains with any of them if Winfield is out for an extended time.

No, trust him. Has to be an Achilles. No other possible explanations.
If he tore his Achilles I do not think he would have been walking around the sideline the rest of the game.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

A possible angle on this is that Fleck is saving Sapp for a redshirt season and didn't want to use up one of his four games at Maryland.
No, Sapp has played in every game so far including yesterday at Maryland. He is definitely on the kickoff team and I believe another special teams unit as well.

Certainly wouldn’t give any one in the defensive secondary a passing grade after that performance. Either our coaching was poor or understanding wasn’t there, but we were out of position on several plays. Sad that Winfield got hurt. Really our only star in the secondary.

Concerned it could be a Lisfranc injury.

Certainly can happen with rotation on a planted foot but would think he wouldn't have been running on the sideline. Really hope not- if it is he's out for the year.

Certainly can happen with rotation on a planted foot but would think he wouldn't have been running on the sideline. Really hope not- if it is he's out for the year.

Please don't be that. If that's the case he's done for sure...sometimes that's a 2 year injury! It's one of the worst ones you can get!

Gophers just announced Winfield is out the rest of the season. Having foot surgery early next week. Dagger. They'll apply for another medical hardship waiver for another year of eligibility. Dude can't catch any good luck.

I would never let AWJr play against Maryland again, under any circumstances!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom