Coach Fleck Post game press conference Maryland

Who cares? The man is paid to win. I could care less if we have the highest GPA in the country and the best recruits. If we are still losing games and not going bowling, it means nothing to me. I want wins, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I care. If our players had the highest GPA in the country, I would be proud of that accomplishment regardless of the win/loss results. The fact the Fleck cares passionately about academic performance is admirable, and I admire it.

Since you apparently prefer a team that sees its players as disposable tools for winning football games, and not as valuable human beings worthy of broader investment, I suggest you consider supporting another team. The SEC might have one or two that meet your criteria.

:)

Last edited:

I care. If our players had the highest GPA in the country, I would be proud of that accomplishment regardless of the win/loss results. The fact the Fleck cares passionately about academic performance is admirable, and I admire it.

Since you apparently prefer a team that sees its players as disposable tools for winning football games, and not as valuable human beings worthy of broader investment, I suggest you consider supporting another team. The SEC might have one or two that meet your criteria.

I’m glad you’re not the AD. Hell, you’d probably give fleck a lifetime contract already. He could never win a game, but as long as he had a high cumulative GPA, he can stay as long as he wants.

Good grief, no wonder Minnesota sucks. We literally have fans who don’t care about winning.

Hey, guess what? You can have high GPAs and wins. It’s not mutually exclusive. We had that with Claeys, but he doesn’t count because he is fat.

I’m glad you’re not the AD. Hell, you’d probably give fleck a lifetime contract already. He could never win a game, but as long as he had a high cumulative GPA, he can stay as long as he wants.

Good grief, no wonder Minnesota sucks. We literally have fans who don’t care about winning.

Hey, guess what? You can have high GPAs and wins. It’s not mutually exclusive. We had that with Claeys, but he doesn’t count because he is fat.

Go cheer for USC then. We don’t need you.

He jackass, tell me who has come to the University of Minnesota and won in their first year and 4 games the way you expect. That’s what I thought dipsh^t.

Tracy Claeys, dipsh^t. 9 wins first full season as head coach, then gets fired for an “upgrade.” What an upgrade. But hey, we have a high cumulative GPA, so they have won at life and that’s what really matters, right?

Tracy Claeys, dipsh^t. 9 wins first full season as head coach, then gets fired for an “upgrade.” What an upgrade. But hey, we have a high cumulative GPA, so they have won at life and that’s what really matters, right?

Also had a high GPA that year as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well, no. I said that a high GPA is an accomplishment independent of wins and losses. It is. I said nothing about indifference to winning. I said nothing about Claeys, someone I admired, in part because his team performed well academically. You said all you care about is wins. Yes, you said that. I think that is shallow and misguided.

But based on your response, I understand why you might resent those who value academic achievement given rather obvious challenges with reading comprehension. I will follow this with a smiley face to indicate how seriously I really take this. Really, relax, it is just football.

Oh, now it makes sense...

By the way, you are giving the Tracy Claeys fans a bad reputation.

Well, no. I said that a high GPA is an accomplishment independent of wins and losses. It is. I said nothing about indifference to winning. I said nothing about Claeys, someone I admired, in part because his team performed well academically. You said all you care about is wins. Yes, you said that. I think that is shallow and misguided.

But based on your response, I understand why you might resent those who value academic achievement given rather obvious challenges with reading comprehension. I will follow this with a smiley face to indicate how seriously I really take this. Really, relax, it is just football.

Well, my reading comprehension is fine. You stated that I just wanted disposable players. I never said that, so I responded to your point.

Yes, I want wins. The fact that you are debating this is quite astounding. Only in Minnesota would there be a debate about whether winning is what the coach is hired to do. Unreal.

Well, my reading comprehension is fine. You stated that I just wanted disposable players. I never said that, so I responded to your point.

Yes, I want wins. The fact that you are debating this is quite astounding. Only in Minnesota would there be a debate about whether winning is what the coach is hired to do. Unreal.

I am not debating the want of wins. I am debating only wanting wins and caring about nothing else. Not sure why that is so hard to get.

Tried to keep this to words with small number of syllables. Hope that made it easier for you.

;)

I was expecting

1) We are old.
2) We are probably totally screwed at this point.
3) Winfield and Rodney Smith weren't very good anyway.
4) Extremely veteran squad that's used to playing road games and simply didn't perform well.
5) Zack quit.

Really? Ok.

I am not debating the want of wins. I am debating only wanting wins and caring about nothing else. Not sure why that is so hard to get.

Tried to keep this to words with small number of syllables. Hope that made it easier for you.

;)

Listen, I guess I’m talking over your head. I never said that I don’t want a high GPA and a lot of wins. I said that if we are not winning games, but have a high GPA, I don’t care. I want wins.

Of course I want a high cum GPA and a lot of wins. I never said I didn’t. Who wouldn’t. Really, this is what your trying to debate? That is not even worth debating. Who in the world would not want that?

Please review my posts and maybe you will understand my point. I know it is nuanced, so it may be difficult for you to understand.

Who cares? The man is paid to win. I could care less if we have the highest GPA in the country and the best recruits. If we are still losing games and not going bowling, it means nothing to me. I want wins, period.

“I want wins, period.”

That means you don’t care about anything else. Own your words.

That is anything but nuanced.

Last edited:

“I want wins, period.”

That means you don’t care about anything else. Own your words.

That is anything but nuanced.

I’m done. You missed my point. Good night.

;)

These types of posts never get old. Me angry. Me smart.

Maybe get want to listen about what he had to say about Nick Connelly. Might want to see his tone throughout the press conference. He’s a hell of a coach.

Raw and honest truth from a man who understands grief. Anyone who has lost a loved one (I lost my best high school friend to a fast moving cancer when we were 16) knows how hard this was for those kids and coaches. Coach Fleck provide perhaps the best post game press conference I have ever watched. My prayers for every player, coach and friend of Nick Connelly as well as his family. This is painful. Take one step at a time.
This press conference reminded me how meaningless a game is when held up against life and death.
Peace be with everyone.

Well you're the one of the two that gave Fleck an F for his coaching a week ago or so. Your comments don't surprise me.

Really? Ok. What negative comments did I make? Not one. I just thought it was funny that he was right on with Flecks’s comments. Also, as he said, nothing really wrong with them. Get over yourself, if someone isn’t praising PJ it doesn’t mean they are criticizing him. I don’t like him. I also have not said one negative thing about his in game coaching.

Last edited:

Both sides are at least partially correct. GPA is important. values are important. players staying out of trouble is important.

But, in the end, you don't keep a $3.5 million/yr job for GPA, values and behavior. You keep the job by winning more games than you lose. Preferably conference games and rivalry games.

If Fleck's team is winning 8, 9, 10 games in 3 or 4 years, it's a moot point.

But if Fleck's team is winning 5, 6, 7 games in 3 or 4 years with no rivalry wins, and a losing conference record, then it's a very different situation.

No D1 team in history has ever given a losing coach a contract extension because of grades, values and behavior. In the world of D1 FB - at the major conference level - grades, values and behavior are the condiments. Winning is the main course.

Phildo admitting he didn't coach well enough, that they weren't prepared. Admitted the O-line was not up to par, admitted Zack is playing hurt, gladly pointed out missed tackles and dropped balls by Johnson.
To be fair, from the highlight video I saw, it appears there were some no-calls by the referees. That's not to say it changed the outcome, but they were glaring even to a novice.

Trolling? Really? Fleck has proven anything yet and, I, unlike you, am going to hold him accountable. The man is paid $3.5 million a year to coach and he has done a crappy job of it so far. I don’t just blindly follow anyone, especially a cliche machine like Fleck.

Ok. Who should coach the team then? Who would make you happy? Les Miles?

I’m done. You missed my point. Good night.

How about I sum up without any extraneous snark.

You seem to be saying that without wins, a excellent team GPA does not matter.

I just think you have it backwards. We should have an expectation for how student athletes are progressing, and whether they are achieving things in school that will help them prepare for life after they stop providing us entertainment. And being among the best, like having a top team GPA, is worthy of admiration independent of wins and losses. But ultimately failing to win will and should get Fleck or any other coach fired.

So instead of “without wins, nothing else matters,” I am saying, “without a commitment to player’s success outside of football, of which GPA is an example, wins don’t matter.” And no matter how successful that commitment, without enough winning, the coach will still be fired.

I am guessing we might actually agree more than disagree about what matters. I just react to the winning is everything/the only thing mentality because of its implications, which have hardly been theoretical.

Last edited:

To be fair, from the highlight video I saw, it appears there were some no-calls by the referees.

So you didn’t even watch the game and you are calling for the coach to be canned in other threads?

How about I sum up without any extraneous snark.

You seem to be saying that without wins, a excellent team GPA does not matter.

I just think you have it backwards. We should have an expectation for how student athletes are progressing, and whether they are achieving things in school that will help them prepare for life after they stop providing us entertainment. And being among the best, like having a top team GPA, is worthy of admiration independent of wins and losses. But ultimately failing to win will and should get Fleck or any other coach fired.

So instead of “without wins, nothing else matters,” I am saying, “without a commitment to player’s success outside of football, of which GPA is an example, wins don’t matter.” And no matter how successful that commitment, without enough winning, the coach will still be fired.

I am guessing we might actually agree more than disagree about what matters. I just react to the winning is everything/the only thing mentality because of its implications, which have hardly been theoretical.
That's all fine and dandy but the reality is in big time college football winning Trump's all, boosters don't write checks because a great story about a walk on or high GPA gives them the feels, they write checks when you're winning, it's why the rich get richer,, don't get me wrong having model student athletes who go to class is great and I'll even concede that it may even buy you extra year or two, but it won't save you if you don't win

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I love the Gophers and actually like Fleck and think he'll do a good job, but the Fleckster cult on here is just scary. It is getting weird.

It was an OK presser. What are you going to say?

It's going to take a year or two more to see if the program is headed in the right direction. Yesterday's game didn't prove anything, one way or another. But at the same time, it also did nothing to inspire confidence.

I'm hoping the team puts up a better fight in its remaining conference games. I'd like to see PJ succeed. Not because I feel any particular affection for him, but because I've come to believe he's genuine. I appreciate the values he espouses. He puts himself front and center, and asks everyone to follow him. That takes a lot of guts. Hopefully, he knows where he's going.

But in the not-so long run, it's all about the product. Yesterday, the product sucked.

JTG

Top Bottom