What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the Maryland game?

• A

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • D

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • F

Votes: 44 41.5%
  • Prefer not to respond

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score

First action of the 4-th quarter was a time out. Pathetic.

I don't agree, Maryland not a bad team, they beat Texas and have good athletes. Fleck calling timeout after 3rd quarter break not a good sign, should not happen. Three home run touchdowns by Maryland shows they have some skill and clearly have better lineman. Young guys make mistakes, but some of the biggest mikes made by Juniors on team. Disappointing lack of development in offensive and defensive lines. QB looked hobbled all game and throwing poorly because of no time, pressure and bad wheel. No points in red zone twice never good. Hated 3rd down run calls. Only player that had a good game were Bateman, Autum Bell and Herbers.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Whoever voted A needs to be slapped across the face with an oar..

I voted C. What, specifically, did PJ and staff do that irritated folks? Our team got whipped...and it looked like the staff had an idea that might happen, as they came in with a grind it out mentality and not wanting to throw much (which proved correct). Unfortunately, the D which had been pretty solid this year got gashed time and again...and played this game without their best player for the second year in a row. Sucks. Demoralizing. Not all (or even mostly) attributable to coaching IMO.

I voted C. What, specifically, did PJ and staff do that irritated folks? Our team got whipped...and it looked like the staff had an idea that might happen, as they came in with a grind it out mentality and not wanting to throw much (which proved correct). Unfortunately, the D which had been pretty solid this year got gashed time and again...and played this game without their best player for the second year in a row. Sucks. Demoralizing. Not all (or even mostly) attributable to coaching IMO.

If DJ Durkin can be held responsible for not having a medical degree PJ can be held accountable for the product on the field, with the caveats of a few young players. The team looked totally overmatched on offense and defense and right or wrong head man gets the rocks just like he gets the roses when things go well. The Big Ten has not been kind to this staff thus far.

Our team got whipped. This wasn't Notre Dame, but we made them look like world beaters because they had a better plan.

MD has been explosive the past two years and beat TX both years - they have some good athletes. I didn't expect a victory even at the beginning of the season and their loss to Temple made it likely they'd really be up for us. They played harder, had more speed at some positions, dominated the line of scrimmage, and we had nothing new on offense, our best D player out, and an immobile QB. Still, we were in the red zone several times but couldn't get a TD. PJ should have had something new in the playbook, though he did pass at least once to a tight end. Having Smith out really hurts.

I would say a solid D! Maryland did a much better job of game planning then PJ did. They were ready for everything that we threw at them and we were not ready for what they did. Maryland does have some very good athletes, but you could have drove a Mack truck through those holes in our defense! Zack had a bad day with his accuracy and the O line had a very bad day. It should not have been that much of a mismatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I said. It wasn't completely unexpected. We knew they were more talented and we knew they were at home. So our youth and lack of top end talent did us in.

I don't agree, Maryland not a bad team, they beat Texas and have good athletes. Fleck calling timeout after 3rd quarter break not a good sign, should not happen. Three home run touchdowns by Maryland shows they have some skill and clearly have better lineman. Young guys make mistakes, but some of the biggest mikes made by Juniors on team. Disappointing lack of development in offensive and defensive lines. QB looked hobbled all game and throwing poorly because of no time, pressure and bad wheel. No points in red zone twice never good. Hated 3rd down run calls. Only player that had a good game were Bateman, Autum Bell and Herbers.

Sigh, if you call a play in the huddle and they setup in the right defense to depend that play, then you should call a timeout to correct it. That's called good coaching.

I gave the coaching staff a C. I think they tried to adjust but losing Winfield made everything more difficult.

I don't think our DBs should ever be outrun by a RB so that was extremely concerning, but sometimes things just don't pan out.

Looking forward to watching them at home after two weeks to prepare for Iowa.

C.

Youth exposed today.

Hopefully Winfield's back for I-O-W-A and will need to be creative.

There were a few major breakdowns at points today that cost the Gophers dearly and made winning impossible. Otherwise things were closer than the score indicated.

Nobody on this board can be certain whether those diasastrous missed assignments were due to strategic error, the absence of a star safety who might have been there, or player error.

It clearly didn’t go well today, but none of us really know whether those 5-6 killer plays today were the coaches or players fault.

Agree. Seemed like the experienced players had some of the biggest let downs.

Sigh, if you call a play in the huddle and they setup in the right defense to depend that play, then you should call a timeout to correct it. That's called good coaching.

I gave the coaching staff a C. I think they tried to adjust but losing Winfield made everything more difficult.

I don't think our DBs should ever be outrun by a RB so that was extremely concerning, but sometimes things just don't pan out.

Good coaching would have included discussion of which audible to go with in the event they line up in a defense that would hamper your original call. I mean you had 2-3 minutes to discuss the scenario for crying out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was more a reflection of the QB being so frazzled that at 4 seconds head coach had to call time out was the not a good sign or oh bleep moment. Anexstad correctly read the defense and tried to audible, change protections and the call at the line and there was confusion by others. This is where not having Rodney Smith in huddle and for protection would have helped. Would have liked a field goal for that reason to settle down have some reward. The Qb was frazzled because not everyone was reacting to what he was seeing from the D and tryng to change play, Zach had read but others did not catch on. Smith not being back there hurts pass protection dump off chances. They need Brooks for protection and on field leadership, hopefully they pick the right 4 games.

Last edited:

so you get a "C" for game planning that we can't win and trying to lose by less?

Purdue's early season has been a total sh!t show, but instead of trying to lose by less they showed up and played. And beat the 23rd ranked team in the nation. Seems like maybe giving it the "old college try" might mean something. Ask Temple or BYU from last week. Fleck talked about a thought process that the Gophers have a place needs to be eradicated. Coaching like you have no chance before kick-off should be eradicated as well. Getting blown out sucks. Failing to try is ridiculous. And that's what we've gotten in the last three big ten games.

I went D but may have been too harsh.

Depends on how you grade coaching on guys not being in their spots and for missing tackles and dropping passes and not pass protecting well.

PJ took blame for the loss repeatedly, so I'll put it on him with the D.

F

They were not even close to prepared. There was some questionable play calling when the game was still well within reach. I have no idea how Temple was able shut down the Maryland offense while we gave up homerun after homerun.

What pissed me off the most....however....was early in the 2nd quarter (?) on 3rd down when the game was 14-3. A long "completion" down the sidelines into the redzone to CAB. We had all the time in the world to get a play off and there was absolutely ZERO awareness. Play ended up getting reviewed and overturned. We punt and Maryland scores a few plays later. 21-3. Absolute backbreaker. 100% on the coach.

F

They were not even close to prepared. There was some questionable play calling when the game was still well within reach. I have no idea how Temple was able shut down the Maryland offense while we gave up homerun after homerun.

What pissed me off the most....however....was early in the 2nd quarter (?) on 3rd down when the game was 14-3. A long "completion" down the sidelines into the redzone to CAB. We had all the time in the world to get a play off and there was absolutely ZERO awareness. Play ended up getting reviewed and overturned. We punt and Maryland scores a few plays later. 21-3. Absolute backbreaker. 100% on the coach.

Yeah, inexcusable for the offense to not be hurrying to the line to get the snap off there. I was yelling at the TV for them to snap it.

F

I gave an F too. They were unprepared and outcoached. I gave A's in all the previous games, but this one was a stinker. Time to re-group and find ways to fix the problems.

I meant to give him a "C" but accidentally hit "prefer not to answer".

I didn't find anything particularly atrocious about the playcalling.

Maryland played pretty well and we didn't play very well (dropped passes, missing open receivers, bad angles, etc., pick 6, etc.). It's hard to blame PJ for losing on the road when we are playing without our three best players.

I give the team an exemption from any grade. They are grieving.

F

What was the horrible play calls?
Wild cat on 3rd and 11 and what else?

Top Bottom