[POST GAME THREAD] - Maryland defeats Minnesota 42 - 13

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
What’d ya think, Gopherhole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll start us off with the obvious: until the defense steps up the run defense and until Annexstad has enough time to throw the ball on a regular basis no game is guaranteed.

I started mowing my yard at 35-13. Deja vu all over again. Defense can’t stop the run. OLine can’t protect the QB. Lost in the trenches and with piss poor tackling.

Can any of you Vegas sharps tell me how we did against the spread?

Rome wasn’t built in a day. They are young. A lot to learn from that game. Still optimistic.

You never know what Maryland team is going to show-up this yeaer...unfortunately for you guys...you got the one that beat Texas a few weeks ago.

The called timeout after the 3rd quarter break, no excuses for that. Coaches had poor preparation this week, GAP discipline by defense atrocious all game, worst game by a Barber, # 41 had an awful game so did the whole defense. Offensive Iine not capable of run blocking in the Big 10. They are totally wasting # 17 Greens talent, if I were him I would go somewhere else that will give him a shot to play on Sundays.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

If fleck and company cant get team win up front they will have short MN careers

Very disappointing to not see improvement from last year

e31.jpg

The called timeout after the 3rd quarter break, no excuses for that. Coaches had poor preparation this week, GAP discipline by defense atrocious all game, worst game by a Barber, # 41 had an awful game so did the whole defense. Offensive Iine not capable of run blocking in the Big 10. They are totally wasting # 17 Greens talent, if I were him I would go somewhere else that will give him a shot to play on Sundays.

Which talent should they be showcasing?

He can throw, and buy time with his feet, which was needed today. He hardly was in the game today. He should touch the ball at QB and play more. He could have helped if he had been a bigger part of game plan today.

Last edited:

He can throw, and buy time with his feet, which was needed today. He hardly was in the game today. He should touch the ball at QB and play more. He could have helped if he had been a bigger part of game plan today.

He couldn't win the starting job in HS and by everyone's report was well below ZA and TM in throwing accuracy. He hasn't been particularly evasive on most of his runs. Why would you have him inserted to play a major role all of a sudden in our passing game as a QB?

Minuses:
Defense was perplexed by the motion all game. Perhaps if we utilized that aspect in our offense the guys could get more comfortable in practice. Seems like shifts and motions should make a come back in the offense (see below).
Awful tackling, guys out of position
Slow recognition
Defensive line is getting no pressure; QB routinely getting 4+ seconds
The ends were roadgraded all day
Winfield injury
Annexstad had an awful game. Played scared. Can’t move. Poor accuracy.
Coaches should have made a change in the third. Sometimes it’s just not your day. Get him healthy and fight another day.
Pass blocking continues to be awful
WR blocking awful
TJs hands are spotty
Sprinting between quarters bothers me (sorry - I don’t get it)
The offense seems a bit predictable for our opponents
Team looked like they took tranquilizers before the game. The energy level, swarm to the ball aspect is really lacking under PJ vs the Kill/Claeys defenses.

Plus:
Bateman is a beast and a future pro
CAB
TJ is really good with caveat about the hands occasionally
Carpenter
Herbers
Ibrahim ran hard
Williams will get better

Last edited:

MAC coaches coaching at a MAC level.

I see a tough season on offense. I think everyone knew the big knock on Annexstad is arm strength. It is apparent that the coaching staff knows this as well as they are throwing nothing long in the middle of the field. That's a sure sign of a weak arm because it is too risky with a safety coming for an INT. Defense will be in the box and pressuring him on passing downs. It's a tough riddle to solve, especially when you don't have a high caliber, big play running back. I think it also hurts not having a proven TE to throw to as well. Annexstad is not capable of beating people with his feet. Makes for an easy offense to defend for a Big Ten defense. Gopher defense is going to have win some games. Every game is going to be a challenge, especially next week against a much better defense in Iowa.

MN has given up over 300 yards rushing twice in the last 5 Big Ten games. That happened 4 times in 2011-2016. Twice in 2011 vs Michigan and Nebraska, vs Wisconsin in 2012, and vs Missouri in 2014.

Concerning, but have to believe better players are coming down the pike.

He couldn't win the starting job in HS and by everyone's report was well below ZA and TM in throwing accuracy. He hasn't been particularly evasive on most of his runs. Why would you have him inserted to play a major role all of a sudden in our passing game as a QB?

Mainly because the way the line was blocking, l thought Greens mobility would have allowed him to extend plays. Green not better than Annexstad as a QB but to me he is better than Morgan. Morgan not a Big 10 level QB, he Morgan, will not be here next year. This is why I am fan and not football coach.

Last edited:

I see a tough season on offense. I think everyone knew the big knock on Annexstad is arm strength. It is apparent that the coaching staff knows this as well as they are throwing nothing long in the middle of the field. That's a sure sign of a weak arm because it is too risky with a safety coming for an INT. Defense will be in the box and pressuring him on passing downs. It's a tough riddle to solve, especially when you don't have a high caliber, big play running back. I think it also hurts not having a proven TE to throw to as well. Annexstad is not capable of beating people with his feet. Makes for an easy offense to defend for a Big Ten defense. Gopher defense is going to have win some games. Every game is going to be a challenge, especially next week against a much better defense in Iowa.

Now you’ve done it.

The Gophers offensive and defensive lines should be embarrassed by their putrid effort today. Both sides played incredibly soft and got pushed around. Barber got completely destroyed on the first touchdown run, that should never happen. Not a ton of room to run on offense today, even less time for Annexstad to throw. And there weren't a ton of blitzes, it was largely the front 3 or 4. That's not acceptable.

O-line was largely awful today and needs to really pick it up. Especially since Annexstad doesn't appear to have much trust in his ankle. He's shaky in the pocket, which I expect from a freshman, and is having difficulty recognizing pressure when it's not right in front of him. I'm a little surprised Morgan didn't play some. Annexstad isn't mobile and is throwing off his back foot, it's a recipe for disaster.

Gophers seemed to be really deflated when Winfield went down and they knew he wasn't coming back. He's a stud, but you've gotta keep playing if 1 guy goes down no matter how talented he is. There's no reason to hold him out in the first Big 10 game, so it must be a serious injury. He would have come back if there was any chance he could have. I hope he didn't break his foot.

We got embarrassed by a team that will likely remove most of its coaching staff after the Jordan McNair situation is over. Play like that and you're not winning a game the rest of the season. Plenty of room for growth, though.

Just brutal all around. Got smoked at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. I like the WR screen usually but today it wasn’t obvious it wasn’t going to work, yet we still kept running it. The 3rd down run plays in the redzone in the 2nd half were ridiculous.

Good:
>Bateman is a stud. Finds space on almost every route, draws flags, great body control. Star in the making.
>Herbers with another VERY nice game. Punting game much more solid than many had feared.
>Ibrahim is very shifty and a definite upgrade from Williams at this point. Doesn't seem like a HR threat, but he makes 4 yards out of 2.
>Coughlin did a great job rushing the passer. He's really our only threat if we don't bring creative pressure...which sucks.
>CAB made a couple extremely impressive catches. Kid has great body control.

Bad:
>Pass protection. Wow. Maryland does have a couple explosive players on D, but there ain't a Bosa over there. Zack was getting crushed.
>Gap discipline on D. Barber especially was extremely undisciplined, but a lot of DL were getting washed out of their gaps as well.
>Zack throwing off his back foot constantly. Many of us have been talking about this since game 1. I don't know if he's just freaked out because the rush is getting to him so often, but he needs to figure this out. That pick 6 was like a textbook bad play.

Ugly:
>Tyler "blocking" on the tunnel screens. My goodness. Talk about wasted plays. Also keeps his "horrible drop" streak alive at 4 games.
>Pass rush. This has concerned me since game 1 and I was afraid it would only get worse. It did and will. No pressure aside from Coughlin (but it takes him 3 or 4 seconds to create it) and exotic stunt packages which then leaves us out of position.
>Winfield going out early in the 1st quarter of the MD game two years in a row! Why God, why?!

Being a Gophers fan is tough. I was getting optimistic this might be a surprisingly special year, but this is a 6-win team at best. A lot of folks here thought that at the beginning of the year, but I think our expectations were raised with a fairly impressive OOC performance.

We knew before the season that it was going to be tough this year. Yes we had a tough game in all facets today as I understand it. In addition I knew we were going to have some rough games. I also remember in the past this would happen and the trolls and all the negative people would come out of the woodworks to completely trash the program. Despite losing a conference game early in the past we would bounce back somewhat despite people saying that we wouldn't win another game.

I believe we are in a better situation than in the past. PJ isn't going to burn redshirts even though he is tempted to and would like to. This would be a band aide approach that wouldn't help us in the long run.

I'm still on board with the team. Hoping for the best this year and better results next year. That was always a given. Ok negative guys, come after me.

The defense couldn’t stop the run, the offensive line stinks, Annexstad is clearly hurt, too many injuries and turnovers.

Punting and place-kicking is good.

Well, we are not Nebraska.

Pretty embarrassing performance. Most discouraging was that there was no improvement compared to last year when we played them. Is this what we waited 200+ days for? The game could be an anomaly, so I'll wait to despair until we play Iowa.

I'm just glad I had this on DVR and didn't watch live.

A repeat of last year. Gophers were gashed on the ground (~300 yards to ~80) and I think it will take 2 seasons to have a legit Big Ten d line.
Hopefully between Howden and Swanson the safety position will be okay.
Neither offensive tackle had good games. I think Donnell is usually really good but he got burned on at least two plays.
I think the book will be out now on how to bother the gopher receivers. They were mugged and many penalties called but the strategy still paid off. Tyler never got into a groove at all.
Annexstad right now cannot read past his first progression so if the first read is covered he is in trouble.
I think our running backs are okay but Maryland really has some talent at the skill positions.
Still excited for the season but I’m sure many are off the bandwagon now.

Good news though. We'll paste them in Volleyball tonight.

Re: the timeout after the qtr break — this isn’t as big a deal on Fleck and coaches as people are making it out to be.

Rewatch it ... Zach was panicking. He couldn’t figure out what audible or call to make. He started flailing his arms and Fleck simply hit the pause button.

Yes I get that it shouldn’t have been needed. But I’d rather try to get the play right than have a broken play.

Top Bottom