Durkin is done. Maryland staff on way out.

Isn't there another hearing/review forthcoming about the toxic culture allegation?

Isn't there another hearing/review forthcoming about the toxic culture allegation?

yep. Then they'll all get fired. Well the head coach will and the trainer will. They'll have a whole new staff next year.

Is Durkin from the Urban Meyer coaching tree?

yep. Then they'll all get fired. Well the head coach will and the trainer will. They'll have a whole new staff next year.

Don't be jumping the gun, yet. There are other reports that stress no personnel decisions have been made. They probably won't be until a second report is issued probably by month's end. No coaching changes or announcements are likely before tomorrow's game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...773aa1e33da_story.html?utm_term=.a95aa491d7ba

Don't be jumping the gun, yet. There are other reports that stress no personnel decisions have been made. They probably won't be until a second report is issued probably by month's end. No coaching changes or announcements are likely before tomorrow's game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...773aa1e33da_story.html?utm_term=.a95aa491d7ba

They need to dot the i's, cross the t's, read through contracts to make sure people are fired correctly (with cause, without cause, etc.,).

It's just a matter of time really.

What parent would let their kid play for Durkin after that report?

Sounds like the training staff was hired by the university and DJ had no direct oversight. They screwed up, apparently didn’t take his temp until 50 minutes into the episode. Still some unanswered questions though on why it happened. Apparently the sprints were the first exercise on a relatively temperate albeit humid day (low 80s). They found the gallon of water each player was directed to drink before practice unopened in his locker. He took a stimulant medication for ADHD which among other things can cause elevated temperature.

The next report on the “toxic climate” is the one that will probably get him fired. If there’s any fire with the smoke in that ESPN hit piece there no way they can keep them even if it didn’t directly result in McNair’s death. The optics are bad and it becomes easier to move on from a mediocre coach.

Not too many parents would.

Durkin is a tarnish to the program that will cost Maryland millions. IMO, the delay and the other hearing is about being thorough and fair. There is no way I see Durkin survive. But, strangest things happen.

Whether they find culpability or not, he death of someone's son occurred under his watch.

I wonder if there is tension and stress within the current team. There were players who backed Durkin and others who are in the other camp.

Last edited:

Is Durkin from the Urban Meyer coaching tree?

Yes. Durkin worked for Urban at Bowling Green after he graduated from there, but he didn't play for Meyer. Then he also worked one year with him at Florida

I agree that the S&C coach and Durkin should/will be fired.

I disagree that the rest of the staff should automatically get canned. I think the new AD should absolutely see what happens for the rest of the season, and seriously consider Canada to be the new HC. That is what happened at Indiana.

I don’t think we have enough information to make a judgment on DJ but it won’t be a great loss to move on to the next guy. It’s the easier choice for the admin.

Top Bottom