STrib: In Richard Pitino, Lindsay Whalen finds a key ally

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Lindsay Whalen didn’t know Richard Pitino well.

Whalen’s husband, a top amateur golfer, had a good impression from meeting Pitino on the course a few years ago. And Whalen attended some games at the Barn, but that was the extent of their paths crossing.

That changed quickly when Whalen was hired to coach Gophers women’s basketball. And in the five months since she moved into the basketball facility, Whalen has found the coach who occupies the floor below her to be a valuable supporter.

“He’s been really good for me,” Whalen said. “The first day I got hired, we talked and have since. I was so overwhelmed the first few days. He was there to kind of calm me down a little bit.”

Pitino is helping Whalen navigate the behind-the-scenes minutiae of running a college program. They exchange text messages and show support for each other’s programs, and Whalen has been soaking up tips as she transitions from legendary Gophers and Lynx player to coach.

Pitino, who turned 36 on Sept. 16, is five months younger than Whalen, but he’s entering his 14th season coaching Division I basketball, seven of those as a head coach.

“There’s coaching, and then there’s running a program,” Pitino said. “There’s no doubt in my mind she’s going to be a terrific coach and terrific recruiter. It’s just all those other things as a young coach I learned every single year that I might not have thought of the year before. Those things I helped her with.”

After attending the April 12 news conference announcing Whalen was taking over at her alma mater, Pitino walked up and asked Whalen how he could help.

“One of those coolest things he told me was ‘just remember, you’re always selling and always promoting the program,’ ” Whalen said. “He said, ‘The program is first. Always keep that in mind. Everywhere you go and every time you speak in public you want to put your program in the best light.’ That was probably some of the best advice I got throughout this whole process.”

http://www.startribune.com/in-richard-pitino-lindsay-whalen-finds-a-key-ally/494006651/

Go Gophers!!

Cool! What better person to give advice to a novice coach than someone who was himself a novice basketball head coach for Gophers.

I like that advice about being an ambassador for the program 24/7 out in public.

She might as well be taking advice from Tim Brewster.

She is taking advice about the operations part. "Don't forget to top out your gas tank!"

All kidding aside, if she keeps her eyes on the prize and if she gets in sync with her DOBO and her staff she will do fine.

There is budgets, one on ones with players to meet their emotional and academics needs, handling discipline, team building like what PJ Fleck does with outings for the team as a group, charitable work and community involvement of players, outings with her staff as a group, learning to face time with donors, etc...

One important facet of leadership is showing empathy on the players and her staff and creating a happy fun environment while maintaining a high expectation of excellence in the classroom, practices, and performance.

She has to lay out her vision like PJ Fleck does. Be out front in public with press conferences and other media communications opportunities in a positive vein. Media communications about Gopher Women's Basketball will keep the public interest on the program in one form or another like her own show and having the players engage in the community for worthwhile causes.

Maybe it is time for her to have a "Lindsay Whalen" show. Her recognition and likability index is high. She should also be learning from PJ Fleck the master communicator.

Top Bottom