Gophers receivers have heightened pressure of playing. Fleck's old position

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

P.J. Fleck will buzz around Gophers practices, checking in on different position groups during individual drills. But he often can be found with his eyes glued on the wide receivers, sharing details on the position's finer points.

In daily staff meetings, sometimes 90 percent of the notes scribbled in Fleck's legal pad pertain to the wideouts.

That's the gravitational pull Fleck feels from the position. He set a receiving record at Kaneland High School in Maple Park, Ill., then became a plucky overachiever with Northern Illinois and, briefly, the San Francisco 49ers.

"I think it's difficult for me not to coach the receivers all the time," Fleck said. "(But) what I've really learned is the qualities of being a head coach, at least for me, my own opinion on what a great leader and a great head coach can do is empower his people to be great coaches."

Gophers wide receivers coach Matt Simon has heard from colleagues that his role is the toughest on the staff. "They know it's 'Hey, Matt, wide receivers, wide receivers, wide receivers,' "Simon said.

And he replies?

"Yes, yes, yup, yup."

https://www.wctrib.com/sports/footb...ightened-pressure-playing-flecks-old-position

Go Gophers!!

I love it. Eventually, Minnesota will be known as Wideout U.

Top Bottom