Fleck sees signs that Gophers have traded 'want to win' for 'refuse to lose'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Overheard comments from some Gophers football players made P.J. Fleck's skin crawl last year.

" 'Oh, it's just this opponent,' " Minnesota's head coach recalled, leaving out the name of the Big Ten Conference foe. "You hear that in the hallway and you're like, 'What?!' That's a want-to-win, almost a cocky way of thinking."

The root of such comments: a belief that Minnesota's program held a certain spot in the league's hierarchy, a perch above the likes of, say, Purdue, Illinois or Maryland — the Gophers' opponent in Saturday's Big Ten opener in College Park, Md.

In Fleck's second season, the Gophers have worked to eradicate perceptions like that inside the new Larson Football Performance Center. "I wanted to make sure that they were incredibly humble," Fleck said. "You need to be humble or you will be humbled."

At Big Ten media days in Chicago, Fleck shared how the biggest objective with this year's team is to ditch the "want-to-win" approach and replace it with a "refusing-to-lose" edge.

Through nonconference play, Fleck saw that switch flipped in a 21-14 win over Fresno State on Sept. 8, which required a late touchdown and game-saving interception. In his postgame comments, Fleck said the victory over a veteran team that won 10 games in 2017 could be a turning point for the program.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...igns-gophers-have-traded-want-win-refuse-lose

Go Gophers!!

Bleedgopher is the best. So nice to have all articles shared on here! Saves a lot of time and ensures I miss nothing.

Bleedgopher is the best. So nice to have all articles shared on here! Saves a lot of time and ensures I miss nothing.

Thanks. It sure is a lot more fun to find and link articles when we're winning!

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

Overheard comments from some Gophers football players made P.J. Fleck's skin crawl last year.

" 'Oh, it's just this opponent,' " Minnesota's head coach recalled, leaving out the name of the Big Ten Conference foe. "You hear that in the hallway and you're like, 'What?!' That's a want-to-win, almost a cocky way of thinking."

The root of such comments: a belief that Minnesota's program held a certain spot in the league's hierarchy, a perch above the likes of, say, Purdue, Illinois or Maryland — the Gophers' opponent in Saturday's Big Ten opener in College Park, Md.

In Fleck's second season, the Gophers have worked to eradicate perceptions like that inside the new Larson Football Performance Center. "I wanted to make sure that they were incredibly humble," Fleck said. "You need to be humble or you will be humbled."

At Big Ten media days in Chicago, Fleck shared how the biggest objective with this year's team is to ditch the "want-to-win" approach and replace it with a "refusing-to-lose" edge.

Through nonconference play, Fleck saw that switch flipped in a 21-14 win over Fresno State on Sept. 8, which required a late touchdown and game-saving interception. In his postgame comments, Fleck said the victory over a veteran team that won 10 games in 2017 could be a turning point for the program.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...igns-gophers-have-traded-want-win-refuse-lose

Go Gophers!!

Michigan has had this attitude of it's just Michigan State, our little brothers. How has that worked out for them?

Thanks BleedGopher for all your interesting posts and elucidations. You write better than some of our local rag sports columnists.

Last edited:

Every time I hear “refuse to lose” I cannot help but recall Little Miss Sunshine.

Here are Richard’s 9 Steps to success:

1. Leaving Loserhood: Finding a New Address in a Winner-Takes-All World

2. Aspiration, Inspiration, Perspiration

3. No Hocus Pocus, Just Focus

4. Say No to the Negheads

5. Good Enough is Never Good Enough

6. Trust and Be Trusted

7. Think Big. Act Big... Be Big.

8. Reject Rejection.

9. REFUSE TO LOSE.

With the "Refuse To Lose" mentality, I think the Gophers will be an exciting team to watch this season win or lose.

Top Bottom