STrib: Kill the kickoff? Football may face that one day, but not without a fight

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Zgoda:

So indispensable for so long it became part of a nation’s vocabulary, football’s kickoff isn’t about beginnings anymore.

From preps to pros, the game’s guardians are asking themselves how they make such a tradition safer from collision and injury — particularly concussions — and still save a play that is alternately deemed football’s most dangerous and exciting.

This season, the NCAA and NFL each changed their rules in attempts to do just that. The Minnesota State High School League has modified kickoffs since 2014, and venerable Brainerd High School coach Ron Stolski says his sport has “never been safer.”

In the NCAA, receiving players can now create a touchback by fair-catching kickoffs inside their 25-yard line.

“I like the new rule,” Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said. “It protects our players. That’s the most important thing.”

http://www.startribune.com/kill-the...at-one-day-but-not-without-a-fight/493913441/

Go Gophers!!

I don't mind the fair catch inside the 25 is a touchback. Adds some strategy to it. Plus a lot of teams still are running kicks back because it can be such a huge swing in momentum/field position if you get a long return

We have punt returns for that kind of excitement. That is plenty of risk, and plenty of excitement for fans, and plenty of opportunity for special teams to radically alter the field position.

After scores, the opposing team should simply get the ball at their 25.

I do like the fair catch inside the 25 rule. I'm wondering if they will advance that more and make a fair catch even on the bounce inside the 25 rule. I can see teams trying to get kickers to squib the ball inside the 10 to force the return...

Greg Schiano suggested making it 4th and 15 from your own 30 so you still had a chance to either try to maintain possession (just like an onside kick) or punt the ball away. Supposedly punts are significantly safer than kickoffs, so this could be a safer option. My only real issue with it is I'd hate to see a defensive holding or pass interference be an automatic 1st down on something like that. I think they'd have to figure out a different way to apply those penalties (move the ball but maintain down and distance?).

Also not sure if 15 to go is the right number. I wonder what the conversion percentage of that down and distance is vs. an onside kick. Probably higher, I'd think. Might need to be 20, 30 yards...

A few years ago I thought ideas like this were blasphemy. Now I'm starting to question whether they're necessary to try to preserve the sport as something that we recognize.

Greg Schiano suggested making it 4th and 15 from your own 30 so you still had a chance to either try to maintain possession (just like an onside kick) or punt the ball away. Supposedly punts are significantly safer than kickoffs, so this could be a safer option. My only real issue with it is I'd hate to see a defensive holding or pass interference be an automatic 1st down on something like that. I think they'd have to figure out a different way to apply those penalties (move the ball but maintain down and distance?).

Also not sure if 15 to go is the right number. I wonder what the conversion percentage of that down and distance is vs. an onside kick. Probably higher, I'd think. Might need to be 20, 30 yards...

Very interesting. Yes, I don't like the idea that a team with a really good offense could just keep the ball almost the entire game, by converting a 4th and 15 every time. The on-side kick seems to be much lower percentage than that. And also potentially a very dangerous play, head trauma wise. Perhaps worse than regular kickoffs.

Steps to protect players have been taken. The kick-off will always be in the game, but - with a few exceptions, like Camille Paglia - feminists in academia don't like football (women generally don't play it, not even in their own leagues) and its inherent aggressive virtues and skills run counter to the goals of organized feminism.

Changes to make the game safer should be applauded but at some point the sport will become unrecognizable. Ultimately appeasement of detractors will fail. The attorneys will never stop. The players and the fans will eventually need to acknowledge football (and many other sports) is inherently dangerous, accept it, and carry on.

Believe it or not, many people are willing to take on some level of risk (arthritis, CTE) to live a full, well rounded life doing all sorts of risky activities. For some the competitive drive, public acclaim and monetary rewards at the college and professional level is enough to take risks. College players are at the level of consent, while younger players are not and that may be where a lot more changes occur under legal pressure. Everyone is aware of the risks of soft tissue injury, broken bones etc but we still don’t know how common CTE is in former high school or college players. As those studies come in we can make more informed opinions and decisions.

Changes to make the game safer should be applauded but at some point the sport will become unrecognizable.

Removing kickoffs entirely, but keeping everything else as is, wouldn't even be close to that point, though. Kickoffs simply don't add that much to the game. Punts, field goals, and of course regular LOS plays are what's important.

If you're worried that would be the start of a slippery slope, then I hear you.

I think, at times, more information is good while at other times ignorance is bliss. This is not one of those times. Parents may not understand the risk of participating in a great many activities. What are the odds of dying from hyperthermia, TBI; risk of paralysis, risk of CTE, risk of joint damage, eye injury. Put some actual data out there rather than sensationalized tragedies. Parents may find out the greatest risk of long term death and disability from these activities is driving to and from school/practice each day.

I think, at times, more information is good while at other times ignorance is bliss. This is not one of those times. Parents may not understand the risk of participating in a great many activities. What are the odds of dying from hyperthermia, TBI; risk of paralysis, risk of CTE, risk of joint damage, eye injury. Put some actual data out there rather than sensationalized tragedies. Parents may find out the greatest risk of long term death and disability from these activities is driving to and from school/practice each day.

It can't simply just be about death. Quality of life, is far too important to sweep under the rug.

Frankly, I don't care about living to 100, if my last 25 years are spent in pain, limited vision, couple marbles rolling around, etc. Would rather be fully heathy, pain-free, still traveling, etc. at 75, and then hit by a bus.

My $0.02

It can't simply just be about death. Quality of life, is far too important to sweep under the rug.

Frankly, I don't care about living to 100, if my last 25 years are spent in pain, limited vision, couple marbles rolling around, etc. Would rather be fully heathy, pain-free, still traveling, etc. at 75, and then hit by a bus.

My $0.02

I think you’re misunderstanding the reality of growing old. All those things happen to people that never left the safety of their couch.

My $0.02

That's quite a stand you're taking against suffering.

Let us know when you run into some of those people who have spent the last years of their life "in pain, limited vision etc." who want to keep on living thru it for another 25 years.

Talk to some of their survivors and see how happy they were with having to watch their loved ones endure that torment. Maybe you can find some who want to go through it themselves.

Yeah, tough stand you're taking.

The subject matter keeps changing and Idiot_4life stays just that...

Top Bottom