Gophers' P.J. Fleck will coach against his former offensive coordinator as a player

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Fifteen years ago, Matt Canada couldn’t stop calling P.J. Fleck’s number.

Canada, then a 31-year-old offensive coordinator for Northern Illinois, had lost his big-play receiver, Dan Sheldon, to injury during the undefeated Huskies’ game against Ohio University in 2003. In stepped the 5-9 Fleck, who caught 14 passes for 234 yards, including the tying touchdown on a 15-yard, fourth-down grab late in the fourth quarter in Northern Illinois’ 30-23 overtime victory.

“I remember him telling me after the game, ‘Yeah, I knew you had it in you, so I threw you the ball,’ ” Fleck said. “He was one of the coaches when I was playing that instilled a ton of confidence in me. He made me feel like I was a better player than I actually was.”

Fast forward to Saturday, and Fleck and Canada will be on opposite sides of the field. Fleck’s Gophers open their Big Ten season at Maryland, where Canada is the interim head coach and offensive coordinator. It’s a rare reunion of teacher and pupil, who mutually admire each other, and it comes with much on the line. Fleck is seeking a 4-0 start for his youthful Gophers, while Canada will try to rally his Terrapins (2-1) after a puzzling 21-point loss to Temple last week.

“They’re playing very, very hard and doing a tremendous job playing as a team,” Canada said of the Gophers. “That’s the best compliment you can give any team, but they’re very sound in all three phases of their game.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...oordinator-as-a-player-on-saturday/493793961/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom