Gophers vs. Miami (OH) Film Thread

DanielHouse

Reaction score
After going through film this week, I picked out a few plays that caught my eye. The main key takeaway was the play-design and route concepts the Gophers' offensive staff used to create successful plays.

Wide receiver Tyler Johnson has significantly improved the technical aspects of his game to get separation. Outside of a couple concentration drops, he was excellent within a variety of different positions in the route tree. The offense has been doing a fantastic job of using the playmakers they have at their disposal. Whether it's Johnson, Rashod Bateman or Chris Autman-Bell, there is more flexibility from a scheming standpoint. Quarterback Zack Annexstad has been accurate and is taking care of the football in the short-to-intermediate passing game. This offense prioritizes getting into a rhythm and setting up favorable down situations to take more chances downfield. They haven't needed to move the ball as much vertically, but you'll likely see a blend of it entering Big Ten play. Annexstad has a 55.5 percent completion percentage through three games. If he can hover around this number during the conference slate, the offense should be in a favorable rhythm.

I think the main question on the offensive line will be how the team handles more dynamic edge rushers with physical profiles. There were moments where the right side of the unit was struggling to adequately hold up, but several of these issues appeared to be the result of missed pressure checks. However, a handful were technical errors with footwork and hands at the tackle spots. Also, some tight ends missed chips and assignments on the edge, too.

Defensively, the clips highlight the potential options when scheming, such as Double A-gap blitzes, delayed pressures and stunts/twists on the DL. The biggest question mark is how this team will hold up on the edge. When Big Ten play started last year, the strength component at defensive end was noticeable. As teams scheme to run power and counter looks to the edge, will the physical changes the team made pay off? We're about to find out. In addition, they must manage to rush the passer better with four rushers. It is impossible to send pressure all the time. It really limits what defensive coordinator Robb Smith can do with the scheme. The defensive line is the main question mark for this defense, especially as the competition bar is raised. Future recruiting classes are adding the necessary injections up front, but for now, they'll need to get by with what they have and see younger players step up at depth spots.

Here's a little more in the videos:

Last edited:

Good stuff, thanks Dan. I also noticed Annexstad doing a subtle but effective shoulder/head fake on at least one or two of the passes you highlighted.

Ha yeah, I noticed that double-a gap play too. Pretty funny to see that get replicated in Minnesota :)
Especially given what our defense looked like a couple of years ago where it seemed like we barely ever had true 4 man fronts.

I don't have videos of this weeks game but Re: Williams vision, he had a huge miss at one point in the game where he tried to turn up-field way too early.
He's young but that's a critical mistake on a team that depends so heavily on the run.
Vision really needs to improve a lot. Would be good to get him a season worth of work then redshirt him next year so he can come into 2020 experienced, strong, and ready to tear up the field.

Last edited:

The team has come along ways during the first three games. Hoping that we get through this game on top and be better prepared for the rest of the season.

Awesome stuff, thanks!

Good stuff, thanks Dan. I also noticed Annexstad doing a subtle but effective shoulder/head fake on at least one or two of the passes you highlighted.

I've seen the same thing in each of the three games. I like it.

At Western Michigan Fleck did tutor their wide receivers based on his experience at the position. I figure he's doing the same here.

Top Bottom