The Daily Gopher Ski U Pahdcast: Ski-U-Pahdcast - 2.05 - Bring on the Big Ten season!

hungan1

Reaction score
Lots of Gopher tidbits in approximately the first 3rd of the podcast. The rest are about Gopher non-revenue sports and B1G tidbits.

I am not going to go through the whole detail of the 37+ minutes podcast. Read at your own peril. I take responsibility for any errors relying on my hearing them correctly.

Here is what I caught:

Gophers medical staff did tremendously in Miami OH game in preventing leg cramps and injuries. Kept team hydrated throughout the week leading up to game.

Critical to winning at MD: ZA's injury status and the OL must not get ZA killed.

Noncons open huge possibility of bowl game appearance - hinges on ZA's health.

Discussions about Maryland Terps:

DJ Durkin's toxic culture assertions and player death - fate awaits Friday that may affect which MD team shows up.

Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde noncon for MD. MD beat Texas 29-34 and Bowling Green 45-14. Then fell flat on their face losing to Temple 35-14 - to a team that lost to Villanova and Buffalo.

Their (passing?) offense against temple produced no TDs against Temple Defense. MD Defense intercepted a Kasim Hill pass that was returned for a TD. Later on, Temple returned the favor and also returned one for a TD against MD.

MD secondary had a few blown coverage that resulted in long yardage or a score. MD passing game is an issue. Fans wanting Tyrell Pigrome instead of Hill to start?

You think the Gophers have an Offensive Line problem? MD is missing 3 starters on their OL - their starting RT & RG, and the starting LT. Passing game is an issue with OL situation and losing their superstar WR from last year.

Uncertainty of coaching hangs in the balance that may inspire team or deflate team against Gophers.

Passing game went nowhere because they never got their rhythm. MD killed the Gophers with their passing games last year? They have a deep ball threat in FR Jeshaun Jones who can pose a real problem. Mentioned three other WRs?

MD has 4 good RBs that may give Gophers challenge - Ty Johnson, Lorenzo Harrison III, Tayon Fleet Davis, and Anthony McFarland. They had one good rushing performance against Bowling Green where they amassed 400+ yards combined rushing. The other two games they had a combined rushing production of @ 180 total yards(?).

Gophers not setting the world on fire. Repeated - If they kill ZA, MD will stop MN.

MD pass rush struggles. Their best pass rusher is LB Isaiah Davis, but most of his stats came against Bowling Green.

My lights flickered. I am submitting what I jotted down even though I am not done in case I lost power.

Temple had a 2nd string QB playing, and MD did not get a sack against him. If pressure is non-existent against MN, ZA will have a better time.

MD has an experienced secondary. Their achillis heel is the big plays (most it from blown coverage in the Temple game). For MN to win, they have to have ZA play and kept healthy, and he has to throw the long balls. TM preview appearance against Miami-OH not very encouraging.

If ZA is healthy, maybe he can take advantage of MD's vulnerabilities. The Offensive Line must protect ZA.

What will keep ZA healthy is a balanced offense. Bryce Williams and Mo Ibrahim must be available. Must have at least two healthy backs.

Last year, Maryland Rush Defense ranked in the bottom of B1G. This year their RD has taken a step forward. In the first two games, they allowed 78.5 yard rushing per game. A lot of credit goes to IL Grad transfer Troy Watson. He leads the team with 28 tackles.

Their Defensive Line is a little green. They lost most of their starters from last year.

The Gopher running game needs to get going. Rushing Defense is Maryland's strength.

I caught some of the discussion in the tail end of the podcast.

What stood out is NW Coach Fritz comparing Akron's RPO to Communism after their lost. There where talks about Nebraska blues which I didn't catch.

Finally, I don't know who where all in the podcast. Blake was the one doing an assessment of Maryland. Anyways, here are the participant's predictions: Gophers win 24-21, 27-21, 21-17, and 20-17.

So bottom line: Zack Annexstad must be healthy, stay healthy. The Offensive Line must do their job and not allowed ZA to get killed. The Gophers must somehow figure out a balanced attack. Get a rushing game going against a good MD Rushing Defense to open up the passing game. ZA must take advantage of the long ball in addition to the surgical short to middle distance passing game.

Which Maryland football team will show up? An inspired team (maybe from effect of DJ Durkin decision). Maryland has talent. They just don't seem to have their rhythm.

This is a game that may go either way with a huge impact for the Gophers on the line. At least going into the Iowa game after the Bye Week. If will be a big deal for the Gophers if they can be 4-0.

https://soundcloud.com/the-daily-gopher/tracks

Last edited:

Top Bottom