Recently retired Gophers football player Nick Connelly dies at 22

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
“On Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018, Heaven needed a right tackle and Nick Connelly got the call,’’ Chuck Connelly’s statement read. “Nick was diagnosed with Burkitt’s lymphoma in June 2018. Burkitt’s is a very rare, aggressive cancer. Nick was winning the battle through aggressive chemotherapy until the cancer became resistant to all chemo regimens. Nick was a beautiful big strong young athlete with a very kind heart and a great smile.’’

:(

thoughts and prayers to the Connelly family. shocking how fast this happened.

All thoughts to the family. So sorry to hear.

Very sad. Our sympathy is with his family.

+1-Very sad. I remember meeting him at the Recruiting social the year he committed to Minnesota. I remember the smile Chuck Connelly was talking about. Wow! Too young and way too fast.

Wow, diagnosed in June, dead in September. Cancer sucks. RIP Nick!

bummer. was so excited for him when he signed as an OL who stayed home, only to have his career cut short from injury, and now this. May he rest in peace, forever a gopher.

WTF?? I just saw the thread the other day about his diagnosis.

Awful. Terrible.

Thoughts and prayers to the Connelly family and friends, Gopher FB team and Red Wing community. Very sad.

Life is not fair. Death in this case is way too sudden. Sad, horrible, terrible, frustrating. My prayers are with his family and friends. This just shouldn't be. So many highs and lows in such a short time from earning a scholarship until today. Rest in peace Nick.

Awful. I figured he was in bad shape based on the timing and type of article that was written about him. The subject of the article usually passes away not long after. Awful.

So sad. I hope his family finds a way to cope with this loss.

Sucks.

Why does this happen?! So sad. I remember watching him in his last game at Purdue. I feel like there was something with his injury in that game - like a bad hit or something that had me riled up, and recall being so disappointed for him when he announced his retirement. Prayers for peace and comfort to his family and friends.

Very sad. This shouldn't happen to young people. My sympathy to family and friends.

What horrible news to hear. This goes to show that, though we have made great strides in cancer research and treatment, we still have a long way to go. My prayers and well-wishes to the Connelly family.

Cancer sucks. Thoughts go out to the family.

I remember him being recruited-he was just a big kid with a big smile and now gone way too early...breaks my heart to hear this after just learning about it. I'd love to see the Gophers dedicate this weekend's game to him, wear a patch or # or something...it's all about family and they/we all lost a good one in Nick. #NC74

Sad news indeed. I saw tweet he needed prayers, but didn't realize he was that far gone

I cannot even begin to imagine what this poor family is going through. There really are no words.

This is the press release from the U:

Minnesota Mourns The Loss Of Nick Connelly

The University of Minnesota football team mourns the loss of former offensive tackle Nick Connelly. The Red Wing, Minn., native succumbed to Burkitt's lymphoma, which is a rare and aggressive form of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Connelly, 22, passed away on Sept. 19, 2018. His father announced the news on Twitter.

Connelly was a member of the Gophers from 2015-17. He redshirted in 2015, but then played in 14 career games over the next two seasons. He started the first five games at tackle for Minnesota last season before injuries forced him to retire.

"We are devastated to learn of the passing of Nick Connelly," said Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck. "He was an amazing young man who took exceptional pride in playing for his hometown Gophers and loved wearing the maroon and gold. Nick's family and friends are in our thoughts and we will honor him this Saturday at Maryland."

Minnesota plays at 11 a.m. on Saturday at Maryland and the Gophers will wear a helmet sticker and wristbands to honor Connelly.

Very sad and way too young. Just another reminder that life is short, live everyday to its fullest.

Top Bottom