Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Default The 10 Biggest Questions of the 2018-19 NBA Season - The Ringer

The saga unfolding in Minnesota could eventually put the team in a situation similar to L.A.’s now. If Butler does go, the Wolves will avoid re-signing an oft-injured 29-year-old who is outspoken in the locker room. Butler is the instigator in your group chat; he’s the one who brings up politics at Thanksgiving. Offering him a five-year maximum contract locks in Minnesota and stunts Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins.

Before this season, I thought Butler was the fire Towns and Wiggins needed to drive them to bring it every night. Now, it’s clear that the Thibodeau/Butler approach of screaming obscenities where inspirational quotes should be is outdated. If Towns and Wiggins are “soft,” as they’ve been labeled, maybe that only means they respond better to a different style of coaching.

Yes, Minnesota would be worse this season without Butler. But it’d be opening doors in the future to add players who fit better behind them. Most importantly, the locker room wouldn’t be Fight Club anymore. (Though it never really was, because everyone broke the first rule of Fight Club—you don’t talk about Fight Club—because everyone talked **** about everything and everyone to everyone, such as the lovely Rachel Nichols. Keep it in house, like Lob City did.)

What I’m saying is, the team that’ll miss its superstar most is Portland and that superstar is Ed Davis.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...ons-nba-season
    Last edited by Iceland12; Today at 02:58 PM.

Butler is going to be here longer than Thibs. I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJamesMD View Post
    Butler is going to be here longer than Thibs. I guarantee it.
    Id take that trade.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

Quote Originally Posted by tikited View Post
    Id take that trade.
    Me too. I just think Thibs aint going to trade him.

Interesting in an interview with Taylor that they would have to get rid of other players in order to keep Butler. Does that mean now due to cap space or next season due to Glen not wanting to pay the tax? If that's the case, I'd want to get traded too if I was Butler. That's going to cost him 50 to 80 million ( I can't remember what the amount is a team can sign him for without bird rights)

click on the picture for the quote I was referring to

quote.jpg

click on the picture for the quote I was referring to

quote.jpg
    Letting go of Gibson at $14 mill and Tyus at $2.4 mill and adding it to Butler's $20 mill would get Jimmy his money next year. That's why Taylor must have been talking about the situation last summer. That's when Jimmy was demanding all his money now rather then next summer.

That's what Butler's slime ball agent and Butler himself were referring to when they said that they warned the Wolves "earlier that he wanted to be traded."

Can't blame the Wolves for ignoring such an outrageous, narcissistic demand. Particularly coming from a guy who was "all about winning".

How about Thibodeau, Butler and Dieng for Whiteside and Richardson?

Wolves will even throw-in a 2nd Round pick and pay most of Thibs contract?

Let's see how much Miami really wants Jimmy...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceland12 View Post
    Letting go of Gibson at $14 mill and Tyus at $2.4 mill and adding it to Butler's $20 mill would get Jimmy his money next year. That's why Taylor must have been talking about the situation last summer. That's when Jimmy was demanding all his money now rather then next summer.

That's what Butler's slime ball agent and Butler himself were referring to when they said that they warned the Wolves "earlier that he wanted to be traded."

Can't blame the Wolves for ignoring such an outrageous, narcissistic demand. Particularly coming from a guy who was "all about winning".

How about Thibodeau, Butler and Dieng for Whiteside and Richardson?

Wolves will even throw-in a 2nd Round pick and pay most of Thibs contract?

Let's see how much Miami really wants Jimmy...
    Butler is the only agent of that slime ball.

I have no problem letting go of Tyus and Gibson next summer to keep Butler. But doesn't Kat's contract kick in next season? Wouldnt that put them in the tax?

Butler is the only agent of that slime ball.

I have no problem letting go of Tyus and Gibson next summer to keep Butler. But doesn't Kat's contract kick in next season? Wouldnt that put them in the tax?
    Not sure. Salary Cap stuff is way beyond me. This year the cap is at $101,869,000 with the Luxury Tax at $123 million. Wolves are $1.5 million below the Luxury Tax.

Going forward:

"The National Basketball Association reached out to teams to confirm the projected salary cap and point where luxury tax will kick in. For the 2019-20 NBA season those markers are $109 million with a luxury tax of $132 million.

In addition the numbers currently projected for the 2020-21 season were also passed along. The salary cap is reported to be $118 million with the luxury tax reportedly be fixed at $143 million."

https://thunderousintentions.com/201...ry-tax-levels/

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

From a story in The Athletic:

2019 Power Index – Low in terms of new additions but potentially high if current players become available for trades. Minnesota owes Towns, Wiggins and Gorgui Dieng a combined $71 million for 2019-20 so it would take massive departures beyond Butler to generate meaningful cap space. Furthermore, any Butler trade will presumably add committed salary for at least next season even if it comes in the form of players on team-friendly contracts. One key number to watch is $34 million, which is approximately the amount the front office will have to spend outside of Towns, Wiggins, Dieng, Teague and their recent draft picks if they want to stay under the luxury tax threshold. Retaining Taj Gibson, Tyus Jones or any other pending free agents counts against that number as well as any 2019 draft picks, new signings or trade acquisitions. It is possible owner Glen Taylor will be willing to take the plunge for one year before Teague’s contract expires but it works well as an estimated limit, at least for the time being.

https://theathletic.com/586151/2018/...l&redirected=1