Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061

Default Covington expected to play for Wolves at Golden State - Strib

Good news.

SAN FRANCISCO — It appears as if the Timberwolves will have Robert Covington back in the lineup against the Warriors.

Covington, who missed Saturday’s loss to Portland because of right knee soreness, said the plan is for him to play Monday against Golden State.

Covington and coach Tom Thibodeau said Covington’s absence Saturday was precautionary and Covington mentioned he was able to get a lengthy rehabilitation session Sunday and was “feeling great” after shootaround Monday.

“It was kind of last minute (Saturday) but I feel good,” Covington said. “We’re going to sit up here, keep staying on my rehab.”

Covington added that he wouldn’t be playing unless he could be at full strength and give maximum effort on the floor.

“If you’re going to go out and play, you’re going to go out and play,” Covington said. “If you can’t, you can’t. If you’re going to be out there, you have to be out there. Not half and half. You have to really be engaged.”

Thibodeau didn’t say if Covington would have a minutes restriction in his first game back, just that he would monitor how Covington felt.

Thibodeau mentioned that Covington is among the best players in the NBA in a proprietary stat he uses to evaluate players: net plus-minus per 48 minutes.

http://www.startribune.com/covington...ate/502379031/

I watched the game off and on as I was watching the Queens and kicking stuff around the house after the vikings game.

So my one observation is this: the Warriors are so good, they mess around a lot and have a lot of really dumb turnovers. So instead of the Wolves taking advantage, they too decide to have a bunch of stupid turnovers, taking away any advantage the wolves had

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJamesMD View Post
    I watched the game off and on as I was watching the Queens and kicking stuff around the house after the vikings game.

So my one observation is this: the Warriors are so good, they mess around a lot and have a lot of really dumb turnovers. So instead of the Wolves taking advantage, they too decide to have a bunch of stupid turnovers, taking away any advantage the wolves had
    I only saw the first half, but it was good to hear Jim Peterson finally call out Thibs for not playing Okobie and Rose for shooting too much.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

Quote Originally Posted by tikited View Post
    I only saw the first half, but it was good to hear Jim Peterson finally call out Thibs for not playing Okobie and Rose for shooting too much.
    Good for Jim Pete.

Default Ice, ice, baby: Wolves playing through pain in loss to Warriors - The Athletic

The rest is behind a paywall.

OAKLAND,​ Calif.​ –​ Robert Covington​ slipped​ a sleeve​ on over​ his sore right knee​ before pulling​ his​ pants​ on​​ and departing Oracle Arena for the night.
    Karl-Anthony Towns iced his bothersome left foot and Derrick Rose, well everything hurts. And as the saying goes, whatever doesn’t hurt, doesn’t work.

The aches and the pains were evident for the Timberwolves on Monday, and the sloppy play that gave the Golden State Warriors more help than they ever need stung just as much. The Wolves committed 16 turnovers that led to 27 points for the Warriors and also gave up 14 offensive rebounds and 20 second-chance points in a 116-108 loss to the champs.

“I liked the resiliency and the fight. But a team like that, you can’t give them a second and third crack at it,” coach Tom Thibodeau said. “If you do that, they have arguably three of the best shooters in the history of the game. They’re going to make you pay.”..

“When they shoot 3s the way they shoot, obviously you can’t give them any unnecessary chances,” said Towns, coming off of yet another strong game against the Warriors with 31 points, 11 rebounds and four assists. “We gave them a little bit today. But I thought all in all, with all the mistakes and everything, we played pretty well tonight. Forty-one percent, losing by a small margin, when you play the defending champions like that, it’s the small mistakes, the little things that really add up.”

That’s not sugarcoating things. The Wolves were down 12-0 before they could even blink, gave up 19 3-pointers and made only seven, and had four traveling calls in the second half, but did find a way to hang around for most of the game.

Rose scored 21 points on 8-for-18 shooting, Andrew Wiggins scored 20 and Dario Saric had 13 points and eight rebounds. But Minnesota could never get closer than eight points and dropped its second straight game to start the road trip.

“They’ll kill you off of turnovers,” Covington said. “They hit a lot of dagger 3s that really hurt us. That was stopping our momentum from getting back into the game.”...

https://theathletic.com/706519/2018/...s-to-warriors/

I didn't think they called traveling in the NBA anymore. What did our guys do to get called 4 times for it?
    Who hates iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    I didn't think they called traveling in the NBA anymore. What did our guys do to get called 4 times for it?
    They traveled.

Sadly the ref's only call it against non-superstars and Towns apparently.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

Quote Originally Posted by tikited View Post
    They traveled.

Sadly the ref's only call it against non-superstars and Towns apparently.
    Can't remember which call but it seemed marginal. Next time down the court Curry practically ran while carrying the ball.

That group of Jones, Jimmy Butler, Andrew Wiggins, Taj Gibson and Karl-Anthony Towns outperformed opponents (in terms of net-rating) by 24.3 points per 100 possessions.

Pretty misleading. Butler was and Towns is their leading score. Tyus himself is way down the list in Player Efficiency Rating. Haven't really been a fan of Teague since...well forever. However Tyus certainly isn't any better.

I give Teague credit for playing on a bad ankle/leg this year. I give Tyus credit for hustle, leading the break and playing the passing lanes very well.

That said they really need to upgrade the PG position.

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/min

Interesting; Joel Embiid is complaining about having to play on the perimeter since the 76’ers acquired Butler?

“He blamed his role, criticizing the coaches for slotting him on the perimeter too often.”

“I haven’t been myself lately. I think it’s mainly because of the way I’ve been used, which is I’m being used as a spacer, I guess, a stretch-five, which I’m only shooting [29] percent [from three-point range]. But it seems like the past couple games, like with the way I play, our setup, [coach Brett Brown] always has me starting on the perimeter … and it just really frustrates me.”
    https://thesixersense.com/2018/12/12...ut-proportion/

I guess he doesn’t like clearing out for Jimmy’s one on ones’s? Jimmy got soul!
    https://youtu.be/53o7_NqrTQA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk