Page 77 of 83 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1245

Howl Wolves!!

Timberwolves got f'd last night on a bad call against a bad team. Wiggins sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Timberwolves got f'd last night on a bad call against a bad team. Wiggins sucks.
    That very clearly sums it up.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

per Hine:

If there’s anybody in the NBA who knows what Timberwolves interim coach Ryan Saunders is going through, it’s Memphis coach J.B. Bickerstaff.

Bickerstaff, a fellow former Gophers player, had the interim tag attached to his name last season before the Grizzlies lifted that designation in the offseason.

Bickerstaff said being an interim coach brings a lot of challenges that aren’t easy to navigate, especially if you want to install changes.

“The timing of it all, the lack of preparation time, trying to figure out how to make a shift if you’re trying to make a shift, how you get it in with practice days … so few and far between,” Bickerstaff said. “When you are an interim, you think you have an idea of what you want to do, but in the middle of the season flipping the switch to that is unfair to the guys you’re coaching.”

Bickerstaff, the son of former NBA coach Bernie Bickerstaff, got to know Saunders around the time Saunders was at the University of Minnesota and said a paper Saunders did about being the son of a coach helped the pair bond. They have stayed in touch since.

One of the most important pieces of advice Bickerstaff gave Saunders was to “stay true to yourself.”

“Whatever your style is, you have to be true to that,” Bickerstaff said. “There’s so many things coming at you, so if you’re trying to navigate things that aren’t necessarily true to you, it makes it even more difficult. So whatever situations come your way, trust your gut.”

The hectic schedule doesn’t make that easy, Bickerstaff said.

“Everything is on the fly,” Bickerstaff said. “You got to coach on the fly, teach on the fly, what you decide to do as far as your daily routine, what time you do shootaround, what time you have your meetings, what type of film do you watch before the game? All those things are decisions you have to make now.”

For Saunders, it’s a little surreal seeing his longtime friend on the opposing sideline and he caught himself appreciating the moment last week when the Grizzlies were at Target Center on Wednesday.

“J.B. is a close friend, seeing him down there — we both have a lot of love for the University of Minnesota,” Saunders said. “For that reason, having two guys on the sideline, it’s a cool thing when you take a step back.”

http://www.startribune.com/timberwol...ram/505396932/

Howl Wolves!!

STrib: Timberwolves looking to trade Jeff Teague, Gorgui Dieng as deadline nears

The trade deadline of 2 p.m. today is fast-approaching and the Wolves have remained quiet, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t been checking to see what deals might be out there to make.

Specifically, the Wolves are looking for a way to move on from the contracts of point guard Jeff Teague and center Gorgui Dieng, according to league sources.

Teague signed a three-year, $57 million contract in July 2017. He has a player option for $19 million next season that he might take, given he has been injured for most of this season. Dieng has two years remaining on a four-year deal worth nearly $63 million. One source said interest has been soft so far for those players, given their high salary cap hits.

The Wolves have other, more desirable trade chips if they want to cash some in — potentially at the cost of making a playoff push. They have multiple veterans on expiring contracts who might attract interest from teams contending for a title. Among them are guard Derrick Rose and forwards Taj Gibson, Anthony Tolliver and Luol Deng. After rarely playing earlier this season, Deng has shown in recent weeks he still has something left in the tank.

After owner Glen Taylor fired Tom Thibodeau as coach and president of basketball operations on Jan. 6, he left basketball-related roster oversight in the hands of General Manager Scott Layden. Layden has been in communication with interim coach Ryan Saunders on what might be available in the marketplace.

http://www.startribune.com/timberwol...ars/505475732/

Howl Wolves!!

Sid: Timberwolves' injuries add up, but Ryan Saunders shows he can lead

Permanent coach?

Still, even while dealing with those injuries, there is no doubt Saunders is showing he should be given the permanent head coaching job.

The biggest difference under Saunders, the youngest coach in the NBA at 32, is that he has turned around the energy at Target Center in a hurry. Does he have confidence he could do this job for the long run?

“I do have confidence,” Saunders said. “The players make it easier on me, but I have prepared for this for a long time. I didn’t think I would get it at this age or in the middle of the season, but I feel confident and positive about how things have gone so far.

“Like anybody, people have things they want to improve upon, as every professional should, so I’m really looking forward to getting that opportunity.”

He still utilizes many things learned from his father, former Wolves coach Flip Saunders, but has enjoyed setting up his own playing style and system.

“I use a good amount of my father’s plays, but I have a good amount of my own plays. It’s not all just stuff he ran,” Ryan said. “I do a lot of different things. But I think one of the biggest things I do take from him is how he deals with people and how he deals with players and communicates. I think that’s important and he always did a great job of that.”

http://www.startribune.com/timberwol...ead/505482832/

Howl Wolves!!

Wovles lose by 10 to Orlando, we've now lost 3 straight games:

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071485

Howl Wolves!!

This is actually a funny, truthful and well written column:

Souhan: Worse ordeals could be ahead for Glen Taylor and his Wolves

Remember, Timberwolves fans, when Tom Thibodeau stalked the sideline, cursing at everyone on the court except for Jimmy Butler, who was ripping his teammates and pondering his escape, and the Wolves gave up 50 points in a quarter to the Rockets while getting blown out of their only playoff series since 2004?

Prepare to celebrate those as the good ol’ days.

After doing nothing before Thursday’s trade deadline, the Timberwolves are now thusly constructed:

The owner has produced one playoff victory in 15 years. Not series victory. Single-game victory.

The acting general manager was hired to be the consigliere of the now-fired coach, has given no indication he can be taken seriously when he says so little in public, and has no reason not to pack now that the trade deadline has passed.

The coach is a 32-year-old with the word “interim” attached to his title whose team, entering Thursday’s game at Orlando, had lost four of five, with the only victory coming in overtime against a Memphis team that might as well be tanking.

The roster features a maximum-contract player, Andrew Wiggins, who seems to suffer from Intensity Deficit Disorder; an expensive point guard, Jeff Teague, who can’t stay healthy; and a can’t-move contract attached to Gorgui Dieng.

If you thought the days of David Kahn and Kurt Rambis were bad … well, you were right. They were bad.

This is a different predicament. In their attempts to turn the corner, the Wolves ran into a wall. However this season ends, and it will likely end without a playoff berth, the Wolves will need to find a general manager who can properly assess Saunders, gain Glen Taylor’s confidence and make trades that will rid the Wolves of problematic players and contracts without precipitating another decadelong rebuilding project.

Once again, the Wolves will seek a miracle worker, even though their former attempts to find one have backfired.

Here’s where this gets tricky:

The public will beg Taylor, who also owns the Star Tribune, to dent his bank account and exhaust his options while seeking the best operator available. The public will beg him not to settle for hiring someone he knows, someone who makes him feel comfortable and doesn’t mind playing golf with the owner.

Sounds logical. But none of that has worked for Taylor.

He has produced one highly successful season, and it was orchestrated by Kevin McHale and Flip Saunders, two University of Minnesota guys he liked.

The best part of the current team — Karl-Anthony Towns — was drafted by Flip, after Taylor brought him back to resurrect the franchise.

It’s trendy to blame Taylor’s hire-who-you-know mentality as the downfall of the Wolves. It’s also true that his circle has produced his best moments.

When Taylor hired Rick Adelman, the Hall of Fame-caliber coach went 97-133 over three seasons without making the playoffs. Can’t blame Adelman for failing to work miracles. Can’t blame Taylor for hiring a great coach. When it comes to the Wolves, even that might not be enough.

When Taylor hired the most accomplished coach on the market, Thibodeau, and gave him personnel power, Thibodeau brought him to the playoffs in his second season and got fired in his third after Butler crushed his dreams. Can’t say that Taylor was cheap or controlling. Still didn’t work in the long run. Or the medium-short run.

Now Taylor has a great young player in Towns, and a problematic young player in Wiggins and a roster filled mostly with bad and mediocre contracts. He has a coach he likes who may not be ready for this kind of challenge. And he has a void at the general manager position, and a history of choosing poorly to fill it.

These are scary times for already-weary Wolves fans. They waited for Towns and Wiggins to develop, had their hopes lifted by the Butler trade, finally got to see a playoff series, and then were presented with this déjŕ vu dystopian hellscape of a season.

The Minnesota mantra is: “Could be worse,” and the Wolves seem to take that as a challenge.

http://www.startribune.com/worse-ord...ves/505540962/

Howl Wolves!!

No trades for the Wolves means they didn't capitalize on any of the expiring deals. More ineptitude.

Also, Saric is rumored to have asked to be traded before the deadline. This is the translated quote, "This is a team without a head and tail, there are too many individuals who pull each one on their side, and Dario is not used to such a basketball."
    Aloha Mr. Hand

RandBall: Kevin Garnett wants to 'light fire' under Andrew Wiggins, tells him he's mad at him

*Timberwolves legend Kevin Garnett recently returned to Minnesota for a TNT feature in which he sat down with Karl-Anthony Towns, Andrew Wiggins and Ryan Saunders.

It was an interesting segment touching on several key areas, and it perhaps also signaled a thawing out of the relationship between KG and the Wolves that turned icy in recent years. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that the renewed warmth is happening now that Tom Thibodeau — who played a role in KG’s departure from the Wolves before the 2016-17 season — is gone and Ryan Saunders is the coach. Maybe not.

Regardless, here are some key takeaways from the segment:

*KG, who played with both guys when they were younger, prodded Wiggins and Towns about their relationship with Jimmy Butler. Wiggins said he has “no beef” with Butler, while Towns tried to explain what happened when the Wolves were routed by the 76ers in January when the players were reunited. “Too much emotion,” KAT said. “We went in with a mindset of ‘oh, we want to go show something.’”

*Towns expanded on earlier thoughts as to why his all-star selection this year meant so much to him. “I’ve been putting emotions and feelings into a box for a while,” he said. “When that moment came up it was like the box opened up.”

*Off-camera, Garnett said he was happy for Towns but also said he hopes KAT’s second consecutive all-star berth will “light a fire” under Wiggins’ posterior. On-camera, KG told Wiggins that he’s mad at him for not being an all-star yet. “Next year is a motivation. Next year, that’s what I’m aiming toward,” Wiggins said.

*Towns on how Ryan Saunders is different from Thibodeau; “He’s more of a father that says something lightly, but he’s more disappointed. And you don’t want to disappoint your father. It gives you a different drive.”

*The segment ended with KG and Saunders chatting in the Target Center seats — interwoven with footage of KG and Saunders as a young boy playing around before a game back when Flip Saunders, Ryan’s dad, was the coach.

“Sitting there, it was very hard talking to him,” Garnett said later, off-camera. “I see a lot of his father in him. … I can hear his father in just how he talks and presents himself.”

You can watch the entire segment here:

http://www.startribune.com/kevin-gar...him/505566872/

Howl Wolves!!

Wolves lose by 5 to New Orleans, we've now lost 4 in a row. I believe the ESPN telecast said that Wiggins had 10+ rebounds for only the 8th time in his career. Is that possible?! Geez.

KAT had 32 & 8. Davis didn't even play in the 4th quarter and finished with 32 points on 11/15 shooting.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071496

Howl Wolves!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    *Off-camera, Garnett said he was happy for Towns but also said he hopes KAT’s second consecutive all-star berth will “light a fire” under Wiggins’ posterior. On-camera, KG told Wiggins that he’s mad at him for not being an all-star yet. “Next year is a motivation. Next year, that’s what I’m aiming toward,” Wiggins said.
    Another reason to not like Wiggins. What a tool.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

Agree with the Wiggins will to win is lacking.
    This team is in limbo

Quote Originally Posted by tikited View Post
    Another reason to not like Wiggins. What a tool.
    So Wiggins shouldn’t feel that way or he shouldn’t have responded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiggins still has the potential. But he needs the right coach and the right system. In my opinion, he has to do too much dribbling. He needs to be put in positions that are closer to the basket.