PP: Blaise Andries from southwest Minnesota learning that perfection isn't paramount

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gophers offensive lineman Blaise Andries took a few days off from practices last spring. The self-described perfectionist said he was being too critical of himself, and the U suggested he rest and clear his head.

"It was just becoming too much," the redshirt freshman said.

The top-ranked recruit from the state of Minnesota in the 2017 class caught up on sleep and talked with the U's sports psychology staff. The Marshall, Minn., native was able to reset and put mistakes into perspective. He soon returned to practices and played in the spring game in April.

"It's nice to have such a positive environment, but even sometimes you can get caught up in your mind," Andries said. "Everything turned out well, and I was able to get the help needed. We are good to go."

Andries has been a cog on the right side of the Gophers' offensive line through nonconference play. He is expected to make his fourth career start when Minnesota (3-0) opens the Big Ten season against Maryland (2-1) at 11 a.m. Saturday in College Park, Md.

"I've seen a lot of growth from him," Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck said. "I think the biggest difference for him is mentally. Emotionally, he's grown. Physically, he's grown. He's only going to get bigger, stronger, but I think mentally he has grown tremendously. You've got to give him a lot of credit. It is difficult to do, what a lot of our team is doing, and that is playing as a freshman."

http://www.inforum.com/sports/footb...-southwest-minnesota-learning-perfection-isnt

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom