STrib: Lessons of success, failure keep Gophers kicker Emmit Carpenter on his toes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

This season, Carpenter has made five of six field-goal attempts, including bombs of 50 and 53 yards against Fresno State. He is 41-for-50 on field-goal attempts in his career, an 82-percent success rate that ranks best in Gophers history.

“He’s been exceptional,” coach P.J. Fleck said.

To keep doubts from entering his head, Carpenter has a routine that has teammates looking on in puzzlement.

“When I go out to kick a field goal, I talk to myself out loud. I’m sure [holder] Jake Herbers thinks I’m crazy,” Carpenter said. “… He’s like, ‘What are you talking about, man?’ In my own way, if I can talk to myself out loud and give myself some positive reinforcement, that’s how I can keep negative thoughts from coming into my head.

“Little things like that can make a difference,” he added, “and confidence is everything as a kicker.”

http://www.startribune.com/lessons-...kicker-emmit-carpenter-on-his-toes/493663131/

Go Gophers!!

Thought about Carpenter quite a bit when the Vikings were having their issues. I'm sure all these kickers throughout the nation were watching the Browns and Viking situation.

Top Bottom