ESPN: South Dakota State coach apologizes for running up score

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

South Dakota State football coach John Stiegelmeier says he regrets allowing his team to pile up 90 points against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

SDSU set a school record for points in its 90-6 victory Saturday night. The Jackrabbits had 926 yards of total offense -- just shy of a Football Championship Subdivision record.

Stiegelmeier in remarks after the game said he was excited about the win but disappointed in how he managed the game. He said he should have slowed his team down earlier and taken out all passing plays.

Stiegelmeier said he should have been more respectful toward Arkansas Pine-Bluff and apologized.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...h-dakota-state-coach-apologizes-running-score

Go Gophers!!

Ark Pine Bluff and some of their conference mates should not be allowed to stay in Div I. They fund their athletics at a DII level. Their schools are more similar to DII schools in size, budget, enrollment, etc.

NCAA is scared to tell them otherwise, because of the race circumstance.

Pine Bluff should apologize for doing their best matador impression.

Ark Pine Bluff and some of their conference mates should not be allowed to stay in Div I. They fund their athletics at a DII level. Their schools are more similar to DII schools in size, budget, enrollment, etc.

NCAA is scared to tell them otherwise, because of the race circumstance.

The SWAC does get some pretty big attendance. The SWAC is #1 in FCS attendance at 13,694. That's about 3000 more than the second place MVFC.

The SWAC does get some pretty big attendance. The SWAC is #1 in FCS attendance at 13,694. That's about 3000 more than the second place MVFC.

What's the attendance for Ark Pine Bluff, though? And the bottom dwellers in the SWAC? Miss Valley St, comes to mind.

EDIT: in APB's two home games so far this season, it had attendance of 5734 and 2326.

Last edited:

What's the attendance for Ark Pine Bluff, though? And the bottom dwellers in the SWAC? Miss Valley St, comes to mind.

EDIT: in APB's two home games so far this season, it had attendance of 5734 and 2326.

I looked at last year's attendance. In true home games, it's as about 6000. If you count games at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, it comes to just under 7000. I wasn't sure of those counted as home or neutral site games. It's better than I would have thought. I've never looked into SWAC attendance before, but it's interesting.

You would think if they can draw those kind of numbers the SWAC could be more competitive on the field.

Pine Bluff should apologize for doing their best matador impression.

I was just thinking that if I were a pine bluff fan, I'd be more interested in an apology from my coach for surrendering 90 points than I would be from a coach whose offense is working.

It'll be all the sweeter for Pine Bluff when they beat the Jacks 54-21 thirty years from now

Top Bottom