Fleck on Donnell Greene's unsportsmanlike penalty

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Etc.

• Offensive tackle Donnell Greene was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct in the first quarter, a penalty that pushed the Gophers from the Miami 27-yard line to the 42 and out of field goal range. Fleck said Greene was dealt with internally. “Whatever the act is, when it’s unsportsmanlike, then you’re putting everything on yourself,’’ Fleck said. “It’s also football. It’s a very emotional game, and at times things like that happen. But in our program, it’s unacceptable.”

http://www.startribune.com/zack-ann...e-ready-for-gophers-big-ten-opener/493516001/

Go Gophers!!

The penalty kept the defense on the field in that heat for another series.... no good....

As with many call. He retaliated with with a punch or a puck after getting hit late. Have to play smarter.

As with many call. He retaliated with with a punch or a puck after getting hit late. Have to play smarter.

If I remember correctly the guy was about half of his size and either swung or pushed him first, after the play was over. I might have retaliated too but it hurt us for sure. Since he threw a punch, I am actually surprised that he was not thrown out of the game. Actually both of them could have been thrown out. I don't want to see any more momentum changing ref replays, but if they did review this, probably both of them would have been thrown out.

It seems our discipline has decreased from last year. I expect Fleck will get this under control.

My only problem with it is that he didn't land a better punch. ;)

Kidding. Yes, a dumb penalty.

JTG

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Gotta save the retaliation for later when it isn't so obvious.

Why not just let the Adrenalin help you pancake the next guy?

I was glad to see the other linemen consoling / helping him after his mistake / I presume telling him to take it easy.. That's team stuff we haven't always seen.

It was one of those instant reaction moments that I am sure he wishes he could take back. I think Green was punishing that kid all day. On that play the kid looked upset with Green for being on top of him on the ground and took a swing as Green got up, Green instinctively swung back. But you have to learn to control yourself.

I didn't view it as a 'punch'...maybe by the standards for disqualification it is though. I thought it looked like he was b!tch slapping his little bro :p

It was one of those instant reaction moments that I am sure he wishes he could take back. I think Green was punishing that kid all day. On that play the kid looked upset with Green for being on top of him on the ground and took a swing as Green got up, Green instinctively swung back. But you have to learn to control yourself.

It is a boitch to be a small defensive lineman.

The toughest guys in sports are the ones who can absorb a cheap shot and not react in a way that hurts their team.

Good coaching moment.

The Miami player clearly acted first...in the heat of the moment, it's understandable why Greene reacted...but to make the team better, he can't do that.

Don't completely throw Greene under the bus, but use that as an example for the whole team of how much something like that can hurt the whole team.

Top Bottom