Gophers coach P.J. Fleck sees need for clarity in NFL's roughing-the-passer rules

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Late in the first half, Vikings linebacker Eric Kendricks was called for the same infraction for his hit on Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, and the penalty helped set up a Green Bay field goal.

The Matthews play caught the attention of Gophers coach P.J. Fleck, who had the game on TV in the background while breaking down film and taking notes for Minnesota’s Big Ten opener at Maryland on Saturday. He'd like to see penalties called when the infraction is clear but sees confusion because officials are asked to make too many judgment calls.

“I’m always for making the game safer for everybody, no matter who it is. I think, too, though, what we are doing is making it harder, and it’s becoming more judgment calls,’’ Fleck said Monday. “It’s not like, ‘That’s [obviously] a foul.’ It’s more like, ‘Was that or wasn’t it? Was that body weight, was that not body weight?’

“You can see why the flag was thrown and you can see why people are arguing why it shouldn’t have been,’’ Fleck added. “If it’s a foul, it should be very clear, and it should be for the protection of the players. Again, I’m for keeping everybody safer, but then all of the sudden you are putting a lot more power in just the [official's] judgment. It should be very clear, no matter what, that it’s a foul.’’

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...in-nfl-s-roughing-the-passer-rules/493521021/

Go Gophers!!

I don't watch much pro football anymore (the spectacle has really gotten old) but I was visiting a friend in the hospital and he had the game on, but I agree with Fleck here (and not because I grew up a Packer fan--the Kendrick call was as ridiculous). It's funny that the NFL is going to use clips of the Kendrick and Matthews plays as an instructional tool for players and this is after the season has started. One would think they would have filmed examples prior to the season and had them played in training camps so that there would be a basis for the rule in the players' minds.

Grant it the players make a lot of money. But to be fined for these questionable calls I believe is not right.

Goodell has made watching NFL games extremely frustrating. I never thought there would be a worse league commissioner than Bud Selig, but I was very wrong.

Goodell has made watching NFL games extremely frustrating.

I'm not the only one apparently. I used to never miss a Vikings game, but over the past 2 or 3 years I find myself turning the TV off after the 1st half. Just way too many penalties in the NFL. Between all of the presnap illegal formation calls, defensive holding/pass interference, now making it illegal to sack a QB and landing on top of him, or making every hit after the throw a late hit.

Well the have outlawed hitting the QB low below the knees, the will not tolerate hitting them high shoulders and above, and now you cannot hit them in the middle. Clay Matthews tackle was text book. I would say thats the way to tackle. But the NFL is choosing to send the same tape around the league as a instructional video of why it is wrong. The NFL has gone off the rails with these calls.

Well the have outlawed hitting the QB low below the knees, the will not tolerate hitting them high shoulders and above, and now you cannot hit them in the middle. Clay Matthews tackle was text book. I would say thats the way to tackle. But the NFL is choosing to send the same tape around the league as a instructional video of why it is wrong. The NFL has gone off the rails with these calls.

Before long, QBs will be wearing redshirts during games.

Top Bottom