Shama: Gophers will make history next year with longevity of Brooks/Smith

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

The Gophers will make program history next season with the longevity and experience of two redshirt senior running backs—Shannon Brooks in his fifth year and Rodney Smith in his sixth. Are they the best running backs in program history to play together? No, that distinction goes to Marion Barber III and Laurence Maroney.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

We will have a four-headed running attack next season with Smith, Brooks, Williams, and Ibrahim.

It does bring back memories of 2003 depth, when both Barber and Maroney went over 1,000 yards, and we had two other backs who a year earlier had either eclipsed 1,000 yards (Terry Jackson) or come awfully close (Thomas Tapeh). Plus, Abdul-Khaliq consistently chipped in 300-400 yards on the ground.

In the column, Shama explains that Carlson never missed an extra point while at Georgia. Unfortunately, Carlson went to Auburn.

Is there a chance that if everyone is healthy that Williams plays in only 4 games?

If Williams continues to progress as he has it’s going to be hard to sit him next year. The funny thing is there’s also Nolan Edmonds who was pretty well thought of when we landed him. Depending on how Brooks looks later this season and Rodney through the Spring and Fall next year, I’d imagine they have those guys on a relatively strict pitch count in the 2019 non conference. Maybe give them a heavier workload out in Fresno but otherwise there probably won’t be much need to. Give a peek into the future with Williams, Edmonds and Ibrahim.

If Williams continues to progress as he has it’s going to be hard to sit him next year. The funny thing is there’s also Nolan Edmonds who was pretty well thought of when we landed him. Depending on how Brooks looks later this season and Rodney through the Spring and Fall next year, I’d imagine they have those guys on a relatively strict pitch count in the 2019 non conference. Maybe give them a heavier workload out in Fresno but otherwise there probably won’t be much need to. Give a peek into the future with Williams, Edmonds and Ibrahim.

If I were him, I wouldn't want to burn a year of eligibility running behind Brooks and Smith.

If healthy Brooks and Smith will be a devastating combo playing in a competent passing offense. It’s a real shame how these guys have toiled in +1 or 2 boxes their entire careers. While promising Williams isn’t at their level yet IMO.

Can redshirt William's next year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm assuming thats the plan now. With three, experienced RBs (Brooks, Smith, Ibrahim) who have used their redshirts, why not only play Williams in 4 games and get him an extra year? Let him play in some games against easier defenses, gain some more confidence and in-game experience, while preserving a year. I think the plan was to redshirt him this year if possible (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but obviously they can't anymore since they don't like something about JFC, so they play Williams behind Ibrahim.

It does bring back memories of 2003 depth, when both Barber and Maroney went over 1,000 yards, and we had two other backs who a year earlier had either eclipsed 1,000 yards (Terry Jackson) or come awfully close (Thomas Tapeh). Plus, Abdul-Khaliq consistently chipped in 300-400 yards on the ground.
Those years are what got me into the u. Remember watching highlights on the schools thin clients like yesterday.

Wouldnt be supprised to see next years duo eclipse them.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

In an ideal world, you redshirt Williams but he’s on pace to rush for 1000 yards. Coaches are always going to play the best guy and if Williams is our third best back next year I have a hard time seeing them limiting him to 4 games but we’ll see.

Nice to see you posting! Haven't heard from you in a while. I have always appreciated your ability to stay above the " I am smarter than you" tone of so many posters on this forum.

In an ideal world, you redshirt Williams but he’s on pace to rush for 1000 yards. Coaches are always going to play the best guy and if Williams is our third best back next year I have a hard time seeing them limiting him to 4 games but we’ll see.

Season injuries happen as we know all to well. But, if he goes over 1000 yards I don't see how Fleck will red shirt him if he is ready. Fleck wants to put the best product on the field even if it is a three or four-headed monster. That will be an interesting decision next season. This season, Femi-Cole and/or London have to try to be productive even it it means to spare Williams or Ibrahim a minute or be an extra blocker on some packages. They have Cameron Wiley and Jason Williams next season if they are to be used as RB. Who knows. So, if Williams can red shirt and go to the strength program, we'd have an extra year.

Top Bottom