Demry Croft

You were the one mentioning scouting reports and Streveler eventually getting a shot at the NFL, I just responded to it. Try to follow your own posts, but I know that's difficult. The scouting report on Streveler is that he doesn't have a strong enough arm for the NFL, that's why he didn't even get a training camp invite.

Pivot. Shorter players from the FCS with questionable footwork may get rookie invitations (which he stated he did receive) but don’t generally get drafted. However, it’s hard to argue with production and he’s likely to get a starting opportunity in the CFL in the next few years which is mainly a passing league. The Big Ten isn’t close to the NFL in terms of defensive ability so I’m not sure where your going with that other than to cloud the fact you’ve stated he clearly can’t play at a lower level like the Big Ten.

Tanner Lee was drafted because of arm strength despite a mediocre college career. That doesn’t bode well for his future in the NFL. I don’t think I’ve ever argued he doesn’t have a good arm. He doesn’t have good judgment or anticipation.
Yes and Riley for all his faults ran a pro style that has put several QB’s on NFL rosters.

Pivot. Shorter players from the FCS with questionable footwork may get rookie invitations (which he stated he did receive) but don’t generally get drafted. However, it’s hard to argue with production and he’s likely to get a starting opportunity in the CFL in the next few years which is mainly a passing league. The Big Ten isn’t close to the NFL in terms of defensive ability so I’m not sure where your going with that other than to cloud the fact you’ve stated he clearly can’t play at a lower level like the Big Ten.

Pivot what? You brought it up. Streveler is taller than Mayfield who was the #1 pick. You continue to grasp at straws to try and prove a point you don't have. There were ~128 QBs on training camp rosters this year and he wasn't good enough to be one. It wasn't his height, strength, athleticism, or decision making preventing that. It was only his arm strength.

huge understatement and it falls on old Snorlax Claeys. We probably wouldnt have skipped much of a beat last year had we actually extend the offer!

Jay Johnson did pull the trigger and offer him. Ole Miss then snagged him up.

We got out recruited for Taamu, not out evaluated.

Pivot what? You brought it up. Streveler is taller than Mayfield who was the #1 pick. You continue to grasp at straws to try and prove a point you don't have. There were ~128 QBs on training camp rosters this year and he wasn't good enough to be one. It wasn't his height, strength, athleticism, or decision making preventing that. It was only his arm strength.

He stated he had invitations but chose to go to the CFL. Yes, shorter QBs can occasionally get drafted when they have exceptional careers. I’ve never said Streveler is an NFL caliber QB. Could he be on an NFL squad? I believe he could but he needs to clean some things up. He’s not there yet.

If a guy with “subpar” (nope) arm strength can set records and succeed on a professional level then I’ll argue he can succeed in the Big Ten. You continue to talk about the NFL. I’m talking about college and specifically MN.

He stated he had invitations but chose to go to the CFL. Yes, shorter QBs can occasionally get drafted when they have exceptional careers. I’ve never said Streveler is an NFL caliber QB. Could he be on an NFL squad? I believe he could but he needs to clean some things up. He’s not there yet.

If a guy with “subpar” (nope) arm strength can set records and succeed on a professional level then I’ll argue he can succeed in the Big Ten. You continue to talk about the NFL. I’m talking about college and specifically MN.

And most successful Big Ten/P5 QBs get a shot at the NFL. Even Leidner had his shot with the Vikings. There's a reason most of the successful CFL QBs are from small schools, like Streveler. If he didn't have the talent to get a shot at the NFL, then I can definitely argue he didn't have the talent to play in the B1G.

And most successful Big Ten/P5 QBs get a shot at the NFL. Even Leidner had his shot with the Vikings. There's a reason most of the successful CFL QBs are from small schools, like Streveler. If he didn't have the talent to get a shot at the NFL, then I can definitely argue he didn't have the talent to play in the B1G.

Virtually all of the CFL QBs have had stints in the NFL either out of college or after a few years up there. The NFL doesn’t have much use for dual threat QBs. The Big Ten does. The larger field of the CFL may open opportunities for guys like Masoli, Manziel, Streveler that don’t really fit the NFL mold. Being a competent passer is a prerequisite.

Would you like to make a friendly wager Streveler will be collecting a nice paycheck long after Tanner Lee packs it in?

Virtually all of the CFL QBs have had stints in the NFL either out of college or after a few years up there. The NFL doesn’t have much use for dual threat QBs. The Big Ten does. The larger field of the CFL may open opportunities for guys like Masoli, Manziel, Streveler that don’t really fit the NFL mold. Being a competent passer is a prerequisite.

Would you like to make a friendly wager Streveler will be collecting a nice paycheck long after Tanner Lee packs it in?

Really? What about DeShaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, and even Baker Mayfield had ~1100 rushing yards in his college career. And those are just a few that come to mind now, there are plenty more. You've suggested repeatedly that Streveler has a great arm, why would it matter if he was also fast and a threat with his feet too?

As for the wager, Streveler may collect a CFL paycheck longer than Lee, but Lee has already likely surpassed the amount of time Streveler will ever spend on a NFL roster.

Rumor has it Tennessee State is a possible makeup team for Nebraska..... Demry gets another shot at them maybe ;)

Dieter Brock was 5'9" tall. The NFL rejected him, but he went on to star in the CFL and parlayed that success into a starting gig with the Rams.
In the second half of his career Jim McMahon struggled to throw a football over 40 yards, but he started almost 100 games in the NFL and won a Super Bowl.
Most shortcomings can be overcome if a player has a compensating talent.

Really? What about DeShaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, and even Baker Mayfield had ~1100 rushing yards in his college career. And those are just a few that come to mind now, there are plenty more. You've suggested repeatedly that Streveler has a great arm, why would it matter if he was also fast and a threat with his feet too?

As for the wager, Streveler may collect a CFL paycheck longer than Lee, but Lee has already likely surpassed the amount of time Streveler will ever spend on a NFL roster.

You repeatedly misstate my positions and continue to talk about the NFL. I’ve said he clearly has a good enough arm for the Big Ten. Why is this difficult for you to admit? It’s obvious and sort of embarrassing for you at this point.

Who cares if Lee made a practice squad? Hes gone from an overhyped projected high pick to a practice squad in the space of one year.

You repeatedly misstate my positions and continue to talk about the NFL. I’ve said he clearly has a good enough arm for the Big Ten. Why is this difficult for you to admit? It’s obvious and sort of embarrassing for you at this point.

Who cares if Lee made a practice squad? Hes gone from an overhyped projected high pick to a practice squad in the space of one year.

Haven't we heard that somewhere else as well?:p

Dieter Brock was 5'9" tall. The NFL rejected him, but he went on to star in the CFL and parlayed that success into a starting gig with the Rams.
In the second half of his career Jim McMahon struggled to throw a football over 40 yards, but he started almost 100 games in the NFL and won a Super Bowl.
Most shortcomings can be overcome if a player has a compensating talent.

Like the best defense in NFL history?

Like I already mentioned, most QBs who have a good enough arm to be successful in the B1G, get a shot in the NFL. Arm strength is Strevelers #1 weakness, according to everyone except you. This is why he didn't get a shot in the NFL, and why he likely would have struggled in the B1G.

Like I already mentioned, most QBs who have a good enough arm to be successful in the B1G, get a shot in the NFL. Arm strength is Strevelers #1 weakness, according to everyone except you. This is why he didn't get a shot in the NFL, and why he likely would have struggled in the B1G.

I’ve heard exactly one person say that he has a weak arm. It’s certainly strong enough for Power 5 level defenses. Would he succeed as wildly in the Big Ten as he did in the FCS? Probably not. But we didn’t need a dominant QB, we needed a competent QB.

Last edited:

And Walter Payton...

Ah, when sports and the NFL were fun. That was such an impressive team.

Can’t let any mention of the 85 Bears get by without bringing this out like a drunk uncle.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/135203185" width="640" height="492" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/135203185">The Super Bowl Shuffle</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user42567871">John Wholespice</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Last edited:

I’ve heard exactly one person say that he has a weak arm. It’s certainly strong enough for Power 5 level defenses. Would he succeed as wildly in the Big Ten as he did in the FCS? Probably not. But we didn’t need a dominant QB, we needed a competent QB.

Wrong, many have said it. If it's not arm strength, name one other reason that would keep him from getting a shot in the NFL. Your failed attempt to work around that question was that dual threat QB's aren't useful in the NFL. Wrong again.

We also needed more than one WR, and an offensive line as much as a competent QB.

He had as shot in the NFL and he declined to go that route. He’s short, he has a wonky delivery, he isn’t good at going past one or two progressions at this point, he didn’t play under center, and his accuracy can be compromised at times by his feet particularly going deep. He wasn’t really ready for the NFL. None of which would have prevented him from possible success at a lower level league like the Big Ten.

It will be interesting to see how he does in the CFL and if he eventually decides to try the NFL when he’s ready. By all accounts he’s smart, he’s competitive, and he’s a hard worker. His incredible success at a lower level indicates he may have success at the next rung up but he needs more seasoning.

I’ll wait for all those scouting reports. We’ve had this discussion already. You have nothing.

He had as shot in the NFL and he declined to go that route. He’s short, he has a wonky delivery, he isn’t good at going past one or two progressions at this point, he didn’t play under center, and his accuracy can be compromised at times by his feet particularly going deep. He wasn’t really ready for the NFL. None of which would have prevented him from possible success at a lower level league like the Big Ten.

It will be interesting to see how he does in the CFL and if he eventually decides to try the NFL when he’s ready. By all accounts he’s smart, he’s competitive, and he’s a hard worker. His incredible success at a lower level indicates he may have success at the next rung up but he needs more seasoning.

He never had an opportunity to sign as a UDFA, just a couple of mini camp invites which isn't saying much. Who knows if those teams wanted to look at him as a QB or another position. The other things you've said are true for many college QBs that are drafted or end up on training camp rosters. You're right that those things wouldn't have prevented success in the B1G, but arm strength would. And that's why he was moved to WR.

It's pretty amazing you think he can pick and choose when to give the NFL a shot. You'll really talk yourself into anything.

He never had an opportunity to sign as a UDFA, just a couple of mini camp invites which isn't saying much. Who knows if those teams wanted to look at him as a QB or another position. The other things you've said are true for many college QBs that are drafted or end up on training camp rosters. You're right that those things wouldn't have prevented success in the B1G, but arm strength would. And that's why he was moved to WR.

It's pretty amazing you think he can pick and choose when to give the NFL a shot. You'll really talk yourself into anything.

It's pretty amazing how you rip endlessly on Kill and Claeys for virtually everything, and yet you dig your heels in and are 100% convinced that moving Streveler away from QB was the right move, and that there's no possibility that they made the wrong choice.

What’s your deal with this kid? Did he steal your lunch, dance with your girlfriend? You’re apparently basing your (flawed) opinion on watching him play when he had an injured hand and was playing with a glove. You’re ripping on a guy playing professional football as if he couldn’t make it in the FBS. Truly laughable.

I’ll wait on those scouting reports.

It's pretty amazing how you rip endlessly on Kill and Claeys for virtually everything, and yet you dig your heels in and are 100% convinced that moving Streveler away from QB was the right move, and that there's no possibility that they made the wrong choice.

Since when do I rip Kill and Claeys on everything? I was a huge Kill fan, and liked Claeys as a defensive coordinator, but not as a head coach.

What’s your deal with this kid? Did he steal your lunch, dance with your girlfriend? You’re apparently basing your (flawed) opinion on watching him play when he had an injured hand and was playing with a glove. You’re ripping on a guy playing professional football as if he couldn’t make it in the FBS. Truly laughable.

I’ll wait on those scouting reports.

I'll wait on you offer one shred of proof that he would have been a successful QB in the B1G. I have nothing against him other than I enjoy scouting and evaluating players in my free time. I've seen him play in person several times (you have not) and it's very easy to see why he would have struggled as a B1G QB, and why the NFL has very little interest.

Our arguments about scouting players go back to before last season. I told you the Gophers didn't have any players who would be drafted before last season. You told me 'I couldn't possibly know that'. I was right and you were wrong. You went on and on about how Tanner Lee was a terrible QB and would not be drafted. I said he was solid, would be the best QB on our team last year, and would be drafted. Once again I was right, you were wrong. So tell me again how my evaluations and opinions are flawed?

Yes,Tanner had a stellar season...scout team arm that will likely never play in real games.

No, you don’t know who will be drafted. You can make guesses about lower round guys. Stop trying to be a junior talent scout.

“Proof” re Streveler would be massive success at a Div 1 football program, a clearly sufficient arm, playing professional football...not many have done what he did.

Do you have any actual scouting assessments, or are you talking out of your posterior? We’re waiting.

Yes,Tanner had a stellar season...scout team arm that will likely never play in real games.

No, you don’t know who will be drafted. You can make guesses about lower round guys. Stop trying to be a junior talent scout.

“Proof” re Streveler would be massive success at a Div 1 football program, a clearly sufficient arm, playing professional football...not many have done what he did.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of QB's in the B1G accomplish that every year. Leidner accomplished far more, and that's who he had to beat out. But he wasn't close to Leidner's level, which is why he was moved to WR.

Top Bottom