No line on Gophers - MD; Annexstad questionable?

Nebraska - Michigan also has no line, so I wouldn't read into it too much

The NE QB is a big question mark...NE may have some internal year zero player issues to deal with as well as Frost alluded too post-game...Annexstad is a huge question mark and swing factor...he is that good...Maryland had some surprise late scratches that are worrisome to bettors...the Regents at Maryland expected to announce this week another red flag for bettors.

Last edited:

I think you got the idea ... they're waiting. If he wasn't going to play, that is a massive, massive shift in the Gophs winning chances.

Would honestly expect SG/wildcat to be the starter, in that case.

0 chance. Tanner would start and they would keep the Green line packages intact. Morgan had a bad game but we need him and his better accuracy throughout the course of a game.

Utilizing Green the way they are now is perfect. The defense is back on their heels and aren't sure what to do. That would change if green were the starter.

0 chance. Tanner would start and they would keep the Green line packages intact. Morgan had a bad game but we need him and his better accuracy throughout the course of a game.

Utilizing Green the way they are now is perfect. The defense is back on their heels and aren't sure what to do. That would change if green were the starter.

You might end up being correct. I hope we won't have to find out.

So, is Annixstad and like Cashman, etc. questionable? Or was that just speculating for why there was no odds?

I'll be pretty surprised if Annexstad doesn't play. He didn't seem to aggravate it after the initial injury.

So, is Annixstad and like Cashman, etc. questionable? Or was that just speculating for why there was no odds?

Speculating for why there is no line yet. There is no news/announcement I'm aware of that ZA is questionable. There isn't really such a thing as "questionable", officially, for college football. That's a term from the NFL injury reports that teams are required to disclose. College teams don't have to disclose jack. And often won't. Fleck is among the "worst" (depending on how you look at it) on disclosing.

Huh?

rwNqqt7.gif

If ZA isn't practicing by Wed, word will definitely get out. That doesn't mean he won't travel, and doesn't mean they (coaches) wouldn't throw him in last second Saturday morning if he's reasonably close to full go.

This is all based on whims at this point, of course. He could be practicing just fine even today. We don't know

As someone who has severely sprained his ankles several time in his life (many years of basketball and soccer), I can vouch for the fact that sometimes the ankle can be worse off a week later than it was during the game it happened. I have finished off games on sprained ankles many times but then been out for a week or two afterward. Having said that, I don't really know the severity of Zach's injury and we have to remember he has access to top-notch medical care that can potentially help the situation.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I had a sprained ankle years ago where I didn't think it was bad. I thought it'd go away quickly, but a couple of days later the swelling was worse. It took a week for it to feel better once the swelling was down.

Questions: What if Annexstad through the magic of the PTs and trainers are able to get the swelling down by Friday? Do the Gophers want to play Zack knowing that the following week is a Bye Week before the Iowa game?

As much as we want to win against Maryland, do we want to risk Annexstad being out for several games should he aggravate his injury further?

I had a sprained ankle years ago where I didn't think it was bad. I thought it'd go away quickly, but a couple of days later the swelling was worse. It took a week for it to feel better once the swelling was down.

Questions: What if Annexstad through the magic of the PTs and trainers are able to get the swelling down by Friday? Do the Gophers want to play Zack knowing that the following week is a Bye Week before the Iowa game?

As much as we want to win against Maryland, do we want to risk Annexstad being out for several games should he aggravate his injury further?

I wouldn't be as worried about making the sprain worse as I would other types of injuries arising due to lack of mobility (getting sacked more). A lot of people were thinking Aaron Rodgers would stay out vs the Vikes for those reasons.

If they can knock off Maryland, that will be sweet going into the Bye Week before facing Iowa.

Have we heard anything about Zack to indicate that he has anything more than a rolled ankle? Wouldn't be surprised if they hold him out until Wednesday to let him rest and ice it, would be very surprised if he's not practicing by Wednesday if that's all it was.

A couple of early lines leaking out that are floating around Maryland favored by 1.5 - 2.5

A healthy Zack combined with at least one or both of Maryland's starting OT's that missed the Temple game would make me take the Gophers HUGELY at this spread.

A couple of early lines leaking out that are floating around Maryland favored by 1.5 - 2.5

A healthy Zack combined with at least one or both of Maryland's starting OT's that missed the Temple game would make me take the Gophers HUGELY at this spread.

That would be a very interesting line but I would not be shocked to see people take MD en masse after Texas winning and MD beating Texas by just saying, "it's Minnesota and they destroyed them last year and they beat Texas this year". Just my guess. Interested to see the Iowa-WI line as well

update: saw WI-Iowa line is WI -3.5. Very very interesting with the tale of the 2 seasons thus far imo.

Last edited:

In his radio show Sunday, Fleck said that Annexstad was examined by the trainers and cleared to return to the game. I have to think (and hope) that if it was a more serious injury, he would have been held out of the game. Yes, his mobility was impacted. But, that could also be due to ZA being a young guy who may - or may not - have a lot of experience in playing through injuries. How many times do we see a player go down, acting like he or she has been shot, and a few minutes later, they're up and walking.

as other noted during the in-game thread, you can learn to play through minor pain/discomfort - but it takes a while to figure out what is minor pain, and what is a real injury - and learning how far you can push the limits.

Fleck also said he pulled ZA from the game so that he could start getting treatment sooner. After a full week of treatment, I would put the odds of ZA starting at about 80%. He'll start unless the injury was worse than reported, or unless he has some kind of a setback during practice.

What this does tell me - the gap between ZA and TM is wider than we were led to believe. If the two were as close as Fleck indicated, then there should not be any hesitation about putting TM in a game.

In his radio show Sunday, Fleck said that Annexstad was examined by the trainers and cleared to return to the game. I have to think (and hope) that if it was a more serious injury, he would have been held out of the game. Yes, his mobility was impacted. But, that could also be due to ZA being a young guy who may - or may not - have a lot of experience in playing through injuries. How many times do we see a player go down, acting like he or she has been shot, and a few minutes later, they're up and walking.

as other noted during the in-game thread, you can learn to play through minor pain/discomfort - but it takes a while to figure out what is minor pain, and what is a real injury - and learning how far you can push the limits.

Fleck also said he pulled ZA from the game so that he could start getting treatment sooner. After a full week of treatment, I would put the odds of ZA starting at about 80%. He'll start unless the injury was worse than reported, or unless he has some kind of a setback during practice.

What this does tell me - the gap between ZA and TM is wider than we were led to believe. If the two were as close as Fleck indicated, then there should not be any hesitation about putting TM in a game.

ZA will be "able to" play, it's more a matter of effectiveness as I don't think he can hurt it further. Might make it take longer to heal, but there's nothing I saw that is an injury he cannot play through. Just a matter of how good he is.

I think you got the idea ... they're waiting. If he wasn't going to play, that is a massive, massive shift in the Gophs winning chances.

Would honestly expect SG/wildcat to be the starter, in that case.
If I had to guess, there's a plan to play to Morgan's strengths. There are some things he does better than ZA, such as looking off the primary receiver

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Andy Greder @andygreder @andygreder

#Gophers starting quarterback Zack Annexstad “seems OK” after injuring left ankle early in 26-3 win over Miami, coach PJ Fleck said Monday. Annexstad stayed in game, but eventually left because he wasn’t 100 percent. Fleck said he’s “hopeful” for Annexstad to play in #B1G opener.

100 percent he plays in that scenario

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Treatment methods have improved greatly for sprains and ZA will receive great care. As many have observed, he needs better pocket awareness. He will get that through reps, he seems like a kid who wants to be the best. He will play against Maryland, book it.

Top Bottom