Maryland injuries, Regents meeting

swingman

Reaction score
Some things to watch this week:

1) The Terps played without both starting tackles, redshirt seniors Damian Prince and Derwin Gray, and junior guard Terrance Davis missed the game as well. Junior running backs Lorenzo Harrison III and Jake Funk also didn’t play because of injuries.

2) This week could start to bring some clarity to Durkin’s future in College Park, with the findings of an external review into the circumstances surrounding McNair’s death in June because of heatstroke expected to be announced after a meeting of the Board of Regents on Friday in Towson.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...rps/bs-sp-maryland-temple-20180915-story.html

Last year Maryland brought their unused 3rd string QB to the bank and curbstomped the Gophers.
The Gophers are underdogs in this upcoming game no matter the injuries at Maryland.

Last year Maryland brought their unused 3rd string QB to the bank and curbstomped the Gophers.
The Gophers are underdogs in this upcoming game no matter the injuries at Maryland.

Ah...what?

They won by a TD, 31-24 and they did their damage mainly on the ground.

Did you get too much sun yesterday or just shooting in the dark? :D

That was a back and forth game that the Gophers just came up short. PJ Fleck: "We're not there yet".

He wasn’t there. He was in Madison.

Ah...what?

They won by a TD, 31-24 and they did their damage mainly on the ground.

Did you get too much sun yesterday or just shooting in the dark? :D
Admittedly I was out in the sun for 8 hours at a kids tennis tournament, and my memory is from the disgust I have from being at last year's game.
My point is that we are underdogs in all our away games for the rest of the season until proven otherwise.

If Winfield stays healthy, we win that game. Croft, McGhee, maybe some others were dealing with some issues. Weyler, Craighton, Douglas all out.

Olson was in his first Big Ten game.

We have got a secondary that can cover what they have this year...

Pulling for DelMarVa area guys DeLattiboudere and Ibrahim to have big games.

Gophers will have a great crowd for a road game...Temple loss and noon start will kill what could have been a somewhat hostile environment...

..If no Annexstad, may see power run game with Seth with Kieft and Beebe.

100% agree with you guys. Winfield's hammy injury was too much to overcome last year vs Maryland.

If Winfield hadn't gone down in that game then I'm pretty sure we would have won it.
I'd be surprised if the Gophers didn't open favored.
Maryland just lost to Temple. Temple was 0-2 with a loss to Buffalo to start the season.

Admittedly I was out in the sun for 8 hours at a kids tennis tournament, and my memory is from the disgust I have from being at last year's game.
My point is that we are underdogs in all our away games for the rest of the season until proven otherwise.

Wow...really positive there bro...you must be a grump all-around. Be happy man!

You have to think that the Gophers have a good chance against Maryland. They have a much improved personnel over last year.

Last edited:

100% agree with you guys. Winfield's hammy injury was too much to overcome last year vs Maryland.

Playcalling and inability for the coaching staff to make any in game adjustments lost that game.

If Winfield stays healthy, we win that game. Croft, McGhee, maybe some others were dealing with some issues. Weyler, Craighton, Douglas all out.

Olson was in his first Big Ten game.

We have got a secondary that can cover what they have this year...

Pulling for DelMarVa area guys DeLattiboudere and Ibrahim to have big games.

Gophers will have a great crowd for a road game...Temple loss and noon start will kill what could have been a somewhat hostile environment...

..If no Annexstad, may see power run game with Seth with Kieft and Beebe.

I know he twisted his ankle, but he continued to play. Why would he be out for this game?

Playcalling and inability for the coaching staff to make any in game adjustments lost that game.

Or player execution lost that game considering Rhoda threw a pick in the red zone and Carpenter missed a 42 yarder.

Well, a true scoundrel throws his family under the bus.

I know he twisted his ankle, but he continued to play. Why would he be out for this game?

Swelling might've started to build up after the initial injury, more pressure, more pain. Can swell up worse overnight. He'll be with the trainer all week I'm sure.

SG and Morgan taking reps with #1 O while he rehabs during the week?

https://twitter.com/ap_top25/status/1043254880356524032?s=21

BREAKING: Independent investigation finds University of Maryland culpable in death of Terrapins football player Jordan McNair

Via Yahoo CFB twitter:

Maryland is announcing the findings of the investigation into Jordan McNair's death. Airing on Big Ten Network.

Dr. Rod Walters, the man who led the external investigation, said it was 99 minutes from the onset of Jordan McNair’s symptoms to when he went to the hospital.

“There was a failure to identify escalating symptoms associated with exertional heat illness including assessing vital signs, identifying the condition and aggressively treating the patient’s elevating core temperature."

The review has led to some recommendations for oversight of player health and wellness as well as action plans.

Cold water immersion is part of a best practice for helping combat heat stroke. “That didn’t happen that day and that’s all I can say,” Walters said. “You just wouldn’t think heat stroke when he’d only run 10 110s, but at the same time that’s what developed. And that is concerning.”

DJ Durkin was on the field but did not provide any care, per Walters. He said he interviewed all the coaches. When asked if he would make the determination between an unfortunate accident and negligence, Walters said he would not make the determination

Last edited:

So basically what happened was, the player had done some amount of conditioning, which was a decent amount but not an extreme amount. An amount that would not normally result in heat stroke, and perhaps had never before in this player, and didn't for all the other players.

And thus the S&C coach(es) assumed that he was "faking it" and/or "mentally weak", rather than dying.

I can see that, and can have a little bit of sympathy for it being an extremely unusual medical condition. But there was also clearly negligence involved. UMD is definitely going to reach a settlement with McNair family.

Top Bottom