Week 3 Big Ten Power Rankings Thread

Hoosiers getting some love. Is it deserved?

Sagarin ratings for Big Ten teams:

2) Ohio State
4) Penn State
12) Michigan
13) Iowa
14) Wisconsin
22) Michigan State
40) Minnesota
55) Indiana
60) N’western
64) Maryland
66) Nebraska
79) Purdue
91) Illinois
129) Rutgers

31) Fresno State
133) Miami-Ohio
171) NMSU

Iowa takes on top 20 Wisconsin, Indiana takes on top 25 MSU, Minnesota could move up in power poll with a win.

Purdue gets new to the top 25 Boston College...Nebraska gets top 20 Michigan...Illini get top ten PSU, Big Ten West could have bunch of demoralized teams after week four.

NJ.com chimes in with Gophers at 8:

8. Minnesota (3-0)
The Golden Gophers haven’t exactly been tested en route to their 3-0 start. But credit P.J. Fleck’s squad for winning the games they’re supposed to win. Unlike Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois and Maryland — which all lost to Group of 5 foes — Minnesota has taken care of business against Fresno State and Miami-Ohio the past two weeks.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...wer_rankings_can_the_b1g_get_a_team_in_t.html

Go Gophers!!

Omaha World Herald chimes in with Gophers at 8:

8. Minnesota (3-0)
Last week: Beat Miami (Ohio) 26-3

This week: at Maryland, 11 a.m. (BTN)

The Gophers have completed the pillowy-soft non-conference portion of their schedule, but give them credit: Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue and Illinois would have loved to beat their mid-major opponents in September.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/bigte...cle_fde68537-7794-52dc-a4ed-eb80e2a72a9c.html

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is where the Gophers have historically struggled. 3-0 start to the season, casual fans start to get excited then they usually find a way to lose a very winnable game.

They need to change that this year and find a way to beat Maryland on Saturday. That would put them at 4-0 heading into their bye week with a homecoming game against Iowa in 2 weeks. Losing to Maryland at home last year was a very disappointing loss.

This is where the Gophers have historically struggled. 3-0 start to the season, casual fans start to get excited then they usually find a way to lose a very winnable game.

They need to change that this year and find a way to beat Maryland on Saturday. That would put them at 4-0 heading into their bye week with a homecoming game against Iowa in 2 weeks. Losing to Maryland at home last year was a very disappointing loss.

As Fleck has stated, this teams has to do more than want to win...they have to REFUSE TO LOSE. Row the boat, baby!

Omaha World Herald chimes in with Gophers at 8:

8. Minnesota (3-0)
Last week: Beat Miami (Ohio) 26-3

This week: at Maryland, 11 a.m. (BTN)

The Gophers have completed the pillowy-soft non-conference portion of their schedule, but give them credit: Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue and Illinois would have loved to beat their mid-major opponents in September.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/bigte...cle_fde68537-7794-52dc-a4ed-eb80e2a72a9c.html

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, the Fresno State squad that went into the Rose Bowl and knocked the snot out of UCLA is a real creampuff.

Iowa takes on top 20 Wisconsin, Indiana takes on top 25 MSU, Minnesota could move up in power poll with a win.

Purdue gets new to the top 25 Boston College...Nebraska gets top 20 Michigan...Illini get top ten PSU, Big Ten West could have bunch of demoralized teams after week four.

Yikes! Just for the heck of it, I looked at Purdue's schedule. It might be pretty unlikely but there's a chance they don't win a game. I don't see any gimmes on that schedule from here on out, like at all. Their best chance at a win will probably be either AT Illinois or AT Nebraska.

ESPN Ranks Them 8th

8. Minnesota Golden Gophers (3-0)

Speaking of true freshmen, young Gophers like QB Zack Annexstad and RB Bryce Williams got a chance to build confidence during an undefeated run through an uninspiring nonconference schedule.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...wer-5-conference-power-rankings-week-3#bigten

One of those "uninspiring" opponents got a lot of play from ESPN after that victory at UCLA.

Sagarin ratings for Big Ten teams:

2) Ohio State
4) Penn State
12) Michigan
13) Iowa
14) Wisconsin
22) Michigan State
40) Minnesota
55) Indiana
60) N’western
64) Maryland
66) Nebraska
79) Purdue
91) Illinois
129) Rutgers

31) Fresno State
133) Miami-Ohio
171) NMSU

This must be partially based off of the previous year's rankings, no? I see NDSU is at 33 and they have only played against Cal Poly and North Alabama. There's no way that should get them to 33.

This must be partially based off of the previous year's rankings, no? I see NDSU is at 33 and they have only played against Cal Poly and North Alabama. There's no way that should get them to 33.

But Carson Wentz tho.

Just wait for Herd, they'll let you know why

I believe it says some where that the ratings aren’t considered fully accurate until after week 4, as a calibration needs to be made up until then.

Just wait for Herd, they'll let you know why

Yeah - kind of sorry I brought it up. I really was just curious from a mathematical standpoint how it was done this early in the season. There certainly isn't a big enough sample size yet to make any worthwhile predictions (mathematically). I don't want this to turn into a debate about the validity of the Sagarin ratings.

BTN chimes in with Gophers at 7:

7. Minnesota (3-0). The Gophers are 3-0 for the third consecutive season and own the Big Ten’s longest non-conference winning streak. The youth movement continued to impress Saturday vs. Miami (OH). Sophomore WR Tyler Johnson caught a trio of touchdown passes, and freshman Bryce Williams, filling in for injured Rodney Smith, had 176 total yards.
Last week: 8
Up next: at Maryland

http://btn.com/2018/09/17/big-ten-power-rankings-3-0-indiana-ascends-in-post-week-3-list/

Go Gophers!!

Daily Gopher:

6. Do I really think Minnesota is better than Wisconsin. No probably not. But these rankings are more of a weekly look at things and frankly the Gophers are 3-0 and looking better than many may have thought. The big question will be if they can keep it going at Maryland and go into the bye at 4-0?

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...ose-ohio-state-buckeyes-on-top-gophers-rising

Also mentioned Purdue has good chance to be 0-4.

Did the big ten just give Tyler another year of eligibility?
BTN chimes in with Gophers at 7:

7. Minnesota (3-0). The Gophers are 3-0 for the third consecutive season and own the Big Ten’s longest non-conference winning streak. The youth movement continued to impress Saturday vs. Miami (OH). Sophomore WR Tyler Johnson caught a trio of touchdown passes, and freshman Bryce Williams, filling in for injured Rodney Smith, had 176 total yards.
Last week: 8
Up next: at Maryland

http://btn.com/2018/09/17/big-ten-power-rankings-3-0-indiana-ascends-in-post-week-3-list/

Go Gophers!!

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Yikes! Just for the heck of it, I looked at Purdue's schedule. It might be pretty unlikely but there's a chance they don't win a game. I don't see any gimmes on that schedule from here on out, like at all. Their best chance at a win will probably be either AT Illinois or AT Nebraska.

And Purdue-Illinois is a big rivalry game. (one of he reasons Purdue lobbied to be put in the West)

If Nebraska had a 3-0 or 2-0 record right now, they'd be in the top four of power rankings across the board (knocking out Wisconsin or Michigan probably). :rolleyes:

If Nebraska had a 3-0 or 2-0 record right now, they'd be in the top four of power rankings across the board (knocking out Wisconsin or Michigan probably). :rolleyes:

And if my aunt had different plumbing she’d be my uncle. Nebraska isn’t 3-0 or 2-0 so its irrelevant.

And if my aunt had different plumbing she’d be my uncle. Nebraska isn’t 3-0 or 2-0 so its irrelevant.

I think he was pointing out the bias of the authors of these rankings, not saying he believes they should be there if they were 2-0 or 3-0. Like you said, irrelevant, but I think it's also a valid point if he's pointing out bias. Because Neb's schedule wasn't any better than ours.

Top Bottom