Poll - What Grade Do You Give Fleck for Coaching in the Miami Univ Win

What Grade Do You Give Fleck for Coaching in the Miami Univ Win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Poll - What Grade Do You Give Fleck for Coaching in the Miami Univ Win?

I'm a bit torn on it this week. Team played well against a weaker opponent on a trap weekend for so many other Big Ten teams. The win is good. I can't think of any coaching blunders, but I can't think of anything that was phenomenal.

The Seth Green package worked well early while the game was still early. I question running the freshman over 30 times when Femi Cole could have taken a couple carries.

With the win, nothing bad, and a couple small good things, I went B.

I don't quite get these threads. Isn't it more of a pass/fail kind of thing?

Two key Fleck decisions with mixed results:

- Declining a 5-yard penalty on 3rd down which upheld Miami's gain into a 4th-and-a-few + solid field goal range position. Kick was converted and it cost us 3 points (and shutout). With our defense, I'll take my chances with a 3rd and 15(?) just inside our midfield. I think we would have forced a punt. Maybe we thought their kicker was suspect enough to gamble?

- Punting instead of taking a Carpenter 52-yard field goal. I think we ended up forcing a safety after a good punt. We probably kick the FG against a better team.

I give him a four stars out of five (B).

Last edited:

Unimaginative play-calling outside of a couple of plays, many little mistakes, there were some (major) lingering issues from last week, but I have a feeling that this week was used to build toward something a little bigger so I went with no-vote.
I'm starting to get very concerned about the right side of our o-line.

I don't quite get these threads. Isn't it more of a pass/fail kind of thing?

When I created the first one, I was debating if i should do a percentage, a grade, or a simple approve or disapprove.
I went with grade since that seems to give a couple choices in case there's a mix of good and bad.
Interpret it how you will. If you want to go pass /fail, then do so, but try to stay consistent week to week.

As a whole I'm going to chart it as an on-going trend to see end of season where he peaked or hit low spots.

- Declining a 5-yard penalty on 3rd down which upheld Miami's gain into a 4th-and-a-few + solid field goal range position. Kick was converted and it cost us 3 points (and shutout). With our defense, I'll take my chances with a 3rd and 15(?) just inside our midfield. I think we would have forced a punt. Maybe we thought their kicker was suspect enough to gamble?

- Punting instead of taking a Carpenter 52-yard field goal. I think we ended up forcing a safety after a good punt. We probably kick the FG against a better team.

Good points.

If I was a reporter, I would have asked why Femi Cole didn't get a couple more carries rather than weigh down Bryce.
I also would have asked why he didn't do the 52 yarder. (I assume during warmups the ball either wasn't traveling or he was worried about wind). Or he just wanted to keep playing field position assuming the defense would get the ball back soon.

I'm with you on the penalty decline, I don't know why we opted to give them that shot at the points. As for the fg/punt, I wasn't happy with the decision at the time, but if the punter can pin them back like that and the defense can get the safety, its tough to argue with results.

At the end of the day, this one is similar for NMSU for me. We thunked a team we were supposed to thunk, so I give an A in an easy class.

I went with a B.
Elite = Extra ordinary.

Not exactly Fleck issues, but a of costly penalty (unsportsmanlike conduct), a couple of longer 3rd down conversions given up that kept our defense on the field... Im reaching.

If there were pluses/minuses, I'd have gone B+.

I'm fine with declining the penalty and with opting to punt in those two cases. Keep things conservative and don't allow any big momentum swings against an inferior opponent. Against a stronger opponent I would like to see a more aggressive approach typically.

As a whole I'm going to chart it as an on-going trend to see end of season where he peaked or hit low spots.

Good idea! Sounds interesting.

I was tempted to go with a B, but couldn't come up with any sound reason not to give an A to the staff for preparation. Like others, I wonder why FC didn't get a few more carries, but that's the only big question I have.

I really like what I've seen from this team over the first three weeks. The "feel" has changed considerably. The execution isn't always perfect (because that's impossible), but the speed, knowledge, intensity and desire have all -- apparently -- been upgraded. (I say "apparently" because there are limits to what we can observe as outsiders.) Looking forward to seeing if we can maintain this during conference play.

JTG

Good points.

If I was a reporter, I would have asked why Femi Cole didn't get a couple more carries rather than weigh down Bryce.
I also would have asked why he didn't do the 52 yarder. (I assume during warmups the ball either wasn't traveling or he was worried about wind). Or he just wanted to keep playing field position assuming the defense would get the ball back soon.
The 52 harder would have been against the wind, wind was at his back in the 53 Vs Fresno

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

52 yards un that heat and humidity is like at least a 57 yarder on a normal day. Would have been a silly choice.

Declining that penalty was a bad call, regardless of the opponent. The odds of a team picking up 15 yards and getting the first down is pretty small and they were out of field goal range.

I didn't mind the punting at all. If anything, on one of them, they maybe should have went for it on fourth, but I didn't mind the punt either.

I was glad to see Tanner Morgan get into the game. He looked pretty jumpy and I'm glad that happened in meaningless snaps. Zack is the clear cut starter, but Tanner isn't as bad as he looked today.

I actually don't mind the amount Williams got the ball. There won't be many more games like this.

Essentially, we have Mo coming back (taking caries). I'd guess Nolan Edmonds takes carries for 4 games. I'd guess Brooks takes carried for 4 games. Ideally, the Edmonds/Brooks games are going to be different games. My point, we actually have quite a bit of depth coming.

As far as JFC, he has looked good in some spring games, but he did not run hard, at all, in his one attempt yesterday.

Last edited:

I'm fine with declining the penalty and with opting to punt in those two cases. Keep things conservative and don't allow any big momentum swings against an inferior opponent. Against a stronger opponent I would like to see a more aggressive approach typically.

I'm never fine with giving a team a chance at points. Have some faith in a D who had been playing well up to that point, that they can get a stop, a sack, maybe an offensive penalty or even a pick. Declining penalty was not the right move regardless of opponent. Points were not automatic had they taken the penalty and held on 3rd down.

C. I mean, MN won in convincing fashion but like others I don’t understand declining the penalty. The odds of converting a third and fifteen are really, really low. Maybe he just wanted to hasten the end of the game.

Didn’t like Annexstad getting pounded on while on an obviously bad ankle and a suspect protection scheme (at the moment). The right side and the RB in particular seemed confused at times. Give Morgan more reps.

Didn’t really like our new bell cow getting hits in meaningless reps. What was the point of the last 8-10 carries? Give them to JFC. Obviously JFC isn’t rowing the boat to PJ’s satisfaction. Ibrahim isn’t going to be 100% for a long time.

OTOH continue to like our new passing game. It isn’t the coach’s fault or Zack’s fault or Tanner’s fault the receivers can’t always catch or the blockers block. The talent on the team is noticeably better. The defense played pretty well overall IMO. In that brutal heat they deserve a medal for sticking it out.

Team is trending up. Good things on the horizon,

Never can figure out the D's and the F's.

A 1422.95%
bacon_and_kegs, bleedsmaroonandgold, dbaldrich1, GlyndonGopher, gopherfannnn, Johnny Olson, MplsGopherFan, MrC, patrick08, PlayRoyce, pwmass, rockford, SDR, Unregistered User
B 3354.10%
#2Gopher, arborlax, beavergopher, BeenHazy, bfast, BilldGopher, BleedGopher, Bob_Loblaw, BroncoRedux, carh1981, cjbfbp, Com_Cool, dalostpinoy, diehard, everybody knows my name, Face The Facts, fmlizard, GopherHole Staff, GopherSteak, GopherWeatherGuy, harrys ghost, Iceland12, jimbo morgan, pharmacygopher, proudgopher, RodentRampage, row19gopher, sodakgopher, tikited, UpAndUnder43, Vandy, Waffle, young935
C 914.75%
Bnk, Buck_Buchanan, caliGopher, GFBfan, Go Gophers Rah, Mick Turition, Pompous Elitist, Sparlimb, Stuff
D 11.64%
Haze0010
F 11.64%
LesBolstad
Prefer not to respond 34.92%
hello-world, TruDomGopher, West Fargo Gopher Fan

How are you seeing the names? I don’t care as I’ll publicly state my opinion but I’m not able to see the names. Click on view results?

How are you seeing the names? I don’t care as I’ll publicly state my opinion but I’m not able to see the names. Click on view results?

Click on the number of people voting for a particular grade.

B. As others have stated, declining the penalty that led to the Miami FG was inexcusable. Giving Williams 30+ carries in hot weather was strange as well. If Femi-Cole isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing, fine, but there's literally no one else? What happened to London? He can't take a half-dozen relatively meaningless carries in a game that's sewn up? He's already redshirted, so that's not it. I get the value of making guys earn their chances, but this is less about him and more about not putting wear on your true freshman lead back for no real reason.

Never can figure out the D's and the F's.

A 1422.95%
bacon_and_kegs, bleedsmaroonandgold, dbaldrich1, GlyndonGopher, gopherfannnn, Johnny Olson, MplsGopherFan, MrC, patrick08, PlayRoyce, pwmass, rockford, SDR, Unregistered User
B 3354.10%
#2Gopher, arborlax, beavergopher, BeenHazy, bfast, BilldGopher, BleedGopher, Bob_Loblaw, BroncoRedux, carh1981, cjbfbp, Com_Cool, dalostpinoy, diehard, everybody knows my name, Face The Facts, fmlizard, GopherHole Staff, GopherSteak, GopherWeatherGuy, harrys ghost, Iceland12, jimbo morgan, pharmacygopher, proudgopher, RodentRampage, row19gopher, sodakgopher, tikited, UpAndUnder43, Vandy, Waffle, young935
C 914.75%
Bnk, Buck_Buchanan, caliGopher, GFBfan, Go Gophers Rah, Mick Turition, Pompous Elitist, Sparlimb, Stuff
D 11.64%
Haze0010
F 11.64%
LesBolstad
Prefer not to respond 34.92%
hello-world, TruDomGopher, West Fargo Gopher Fan

LesBolstad is obviously not Rowing the Boat™ yet. I voted C because I am still waiting for a higher level of competition to truly grade this team and the coaches.

LesBolstad is obviously not Rowing the Boat™ yet. I voted C because I am still waiting for a higher level of competition to truly grade this team and the coaches.

You're going to use the Maryland game to answer the question What Grade Do You Give Fleck for Coaching in the Miami Univ Win?

You're going to use the Maryland game to answer the question What Grade Do You Give Fleck for Coaching in the Miami Univ Win?

Disclaimer: This poll is not scientific as some responders may not understand the intent of the poll.

My original post was poorly worded. Let me elaborate.

I am using the Maryland game as a better indicator to the overall performance of the coaches.

My reason for giving a C is I thought the Oline played pretty sloppy in pass protection. Zack plays quarterback like a gamer would play a madden game and sinks 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Williams had a fumble which I don't believe was even caused by a defender. The offense looked pretty rough with Tanner Morgan out there. Morgan threw an interception and fumbled the ball. Wide receivers are still dropping easy passes. A group of 5 team (Cincinnatti) had an as convincing win over Miami (OH).

Last edited:

I went B because I felt like ZA should have been pulled earlier being banged up and JF-C should have gotten more carries (BW getting less). But they played well enough and seemed prepared so thought it was good.

My original post was poorly worded. Let me elaborate.

I am using the Maryland game as a better indicator to the overall performance of the coaches.

My reason for giving a C is I thought the Oline played pretty sloppy in pass protection. Zack plays quarterback like a gamer would play a madden game and sinks 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Williams had a fumble which I don't believe was even caused by a defender. The offense looked pretty rough with Tanner Morgan out there. Morgan threw an interception and fumbled the ball. Wide receivers are still dropping easy passes. A group of 5 team (Cincinnatti) had an as convincing win over Miami (OH).

You have to remember that Fleck is working with what players he has. Perhaps he should be given an A for getting these players to play up. If the quality isn't there why should he be given a low grade for working with what he has? Hopefully next year the players will be stronger etc.

I also didn't like Zack staying in that long after limping.... he may not have been seriously hurt, but he kept taking hits... I'm all for practice time if he is protected, but he was already not that mobile...

Yeah, that penalty decline was a head scratcher.

Top Bottom