Our Remaining Schedule...

Maryland looks like a program in disarray.
Iowa defense looks stellar. Will be a tough game.
Nebraska will be a very good team when they get their QB back
Illinois got a bunch of players back and almost beat a very good USF
NW has years where they look like crap early and play well late.
Purdue has a great offense and bad defense.

Maryland is probably the easiest game left on the schedule. Need a W

No way. Maryland is on the road. Illinois and Purdue (at least) are worse teams and we get Purdue at home.

A 9-win season of the above type got the previous coach fired (after one full season), but a 9-win season now has fans "beyond pumped." I love this fanbase.
No it didn't....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Maryland looks like a program in disarray.
Iowa defense looks stellar. Will be a tough game.
Nebraska will be a very good team when they get their QB back
Illinois got a bunch of players back and almost beat a very good USF
NW has years where they look like crap early and play well late.
Purdue has a great offense and bad defense.

Maryland is probably the easiest game left on the schedule. Need a W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purdue has the 10th ranked scoring offense in the B1G, 95th in the nation, and 45% of their points came yesterday. Thus far this year, Purdue has a bad offense and defense.

Nebby's defense looks terrible.

Are people believing in Indiana? Not one mention of them in "easiest games remaining" banter.

1) vs Indiana, vs Purdue, at Illinois
2) at Maryland, vs N'western
3) vs Iowa, at Nebraska

Are people believing in Indiana? Not one mention of them in "easiest games remaining" banter.

3) vs Iowa, at Nebraska

Kind of an unknown... People not sure, but the Chicago Tribune Power ranking has then at #7.

I still think Purdue is a much better team than Maryland. I watched a good chunk of that Maryland game yesterday, fast-forwarding through it. They are a terrible offensive football team. They had 25 yards of total offense until a few minutes before halftime; had around 65 yards at halftime. Another "positive"; those fans don't give a rip. That stadium was empty against Temple.

Gophers need to take care of business against Maryland next week.

Maryland is going to be an angry team at home. Gophers will need a strong first quarter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Until their coach is fired on Friday and they get caught up in that...

Until their coach is fired on Friday and they get caught up in that...

That would be nice timing for us, unless it turns into a "win one for the Gipper" matter...

That would be nice timing for us, unless it turns into a "win one for the Gipper" matter...

I think the “Win One for DJ Durkin” ship sailed in mid-August.
Looking forward to watching Gophers compete next week.
No clue how the game will shape up but I’ve certainly enjoyed how they’ve competed thus far through first 3 games.

Some interesting notes:

After scoring 34 and 45 points in their first two games, the Terps were embarrassed on home turf by Temple on Saturday. Maryland entered as a 16.5-point favorite and lost 35-14, with neither Terps touchdown coming from the offense.

Maryland had eight rushing yards at halftime.
The Terps were outgained 240-61 in the first 30 minutes, then ran six plays for two yards (negated by a five-yard penalty) in the third quarter.
Maryland’s 123 yards of offense in the fourth quarter were offset by two interceptions.
The Terps were horrendous on third down, converting just 1 of 12.
Temple recorded seven sacks and stuffed Terrapin rushers on seemingly countless other plays.

Kasim Hill turned in the worst performance of his young college career, completing just 7 of 17 passes for 56 yards.
It took him until the fourth quarter to lead the Terps on a productive drive, but with Maryland threatening to make it a one-score game in the fourth quarter, Hill threw his first career interception and saw it returned 78 yards for a touchdown.
The redshirt freshman was 8-of-16 for 121 yards in the rain at Bowling Green last weekend, but took another step backward Saturday in benign conditions.

Both Lorenzo Harrison III and Jake Funk were held out with injuries (the former mostly as a precaution), and aside from Anthony McFarland—107 yards on 11 carries—the rest of the backfield couldn’t step up.
Ty Johnson had 23 yards on six attempts; Tayon Fleet-Davis’ only touch went for no gain.

On drive after drive, the Terps either followed unproductive runs with unproductive passes or vice versa. This led to six three-and-outs and eight total punts. That’s how Temple ran 80 plays to Maryland’s 52 and held the ball for 36:33.

Last edited:

A 9-win season of the above type got the previous coach fired (after one full season), but a 9-win season now has fans "beyond pumped." I love this fanbase.

I really liked Tracy but look at the empty cupboard he/Kill left for last season. And he never would have been able to recruit the athletes that PJ is and will be recruiting.

3) vs Iowa, at Nebraska

Agreed with this breakdown.

I really liked Tracy but look at the empty cupboard he/Kill left for last season. And he never would have been able to recruit the athletes that PJ is and will be recruiting.

Yeah.. Johnson, Smith, Brooks, Green, Winfield Jr, Cashman, Coughlin, Shenault, Moore, Huffs, Carpenter, Barber, Greene...just empty.

No way. Maryland is on the road. Illinois and Purdue (at least) are worse teams and we get Purdue at home.

Temple just boat raced Maryland at Maryland and about 10 people showed up. Playing in an empty visiting stadium against a program in turmoil isn’t very intimidating.
Maryland is more talented but IL and Purdue are better coached and playing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides Illinois, I am not going to assume we are anything more than underdog or even with any on our remaining schedule.

Play hard and you can look back and admire how easy they were.

Dpodoll some context, I don't disagree with your take but I was expecting 5 wins +/- 2 for the season and said that in the prediction thread. I also said that I thought they could contend over the next couple of seasons (most likely 2) based upon what I was observing. It would make me super excited because that means they are better than expected and would help said time line.

3) vs Iowa, at Nebraska

2) at Maryland, at Nebraska
3) vs N'western
4) vs Iowa

FIFY

Yeah.. Johnson, Smith, Brooks, Green, Winfield Jr, Cashman, Coughlin, Shenault, Moore, Huffs, Carpenter, Barber, Greene...just empty.

You're right. Empty was a bad choice of words.

TC got fired despite a 9-win season, not because of it.

Appreciate the thread, and I'm sure there was great discussion.

But for this team, or anyone really, to be looking AT ALL past Maryland, would be a colossal mistake. Beat Maryland. Then we can look

But for this team, or anyone really, to be looking AT ALL past Maryland, would be a colossal mistake. Beat Maryland. Then we can look

Interesting comment since you think Gopher07 Sagarin thread is awesome (I agree it is).

After last year I doubt PJ or the players are overlooking Maryland. I sure hope not.

Top Bottom