North Texas fools Arkansas with incredible fake fair catch on punt return (Video)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Yahoo:

North Texas pulled off one of the cooler plays you will see on a football field on Saturday against Arkansas.

With his team already leading 7-0, North Texas’ Keegan Brewer was back to receive a punt around UNT’s own 10-yard line. Arkansas’ Blake Johnson dropped it in nicely, and Brewer acted as if he signaled for a fair catch.

Only he didn’t. Watch this:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://sports.yahoo.com/north-texa...r-catch-90-yard-punt-return-td-203941051.html

Go Gophers!!

Jerry Kill had a great line in an old hype video.

PLAY TO THE WHISTLE! THE WHISTLE DIDN"T BLOW!

It’s a weird play. He moves his arm (it looks like, but my phone screen is small) which appears somewhat like a kill call on a short punt, so I get why they pulled up. But why they did nothing when there’s clearly no whistle idk

It’s a weird play. He moves his arm (it looks like, but my phone screen is small) which appears somewhat like a kill call on a short punt, so I get why they pulled up. But why they did nothing when there’s clearly no whistle idk

OH good point, anything counts as a signal now... that should have been called as a fair catch by the refs IMO.

Last edited:

they used to be coached by Bellyima

Should have saved that one for a more competitive game against a better team on their schedule like FAU or UTSA.

This. The play of the week!

The other candidate for play of the week was TCU dead man return. But they cheated.

Wow! That was something else. Also North Texas has one of the best college sports names in my opinion The Mean Green is BA.

One concern I have is that this whole deception seems to be based on taking the risk that the gunners there won't obliterate a dude who seems to have called a fair catch.....

So the solution for the gunners would seem to be to drill the next jerk who tries this. That would be bad.

One concern I have is that this whole deception seems to be based on taking the risk that the gunners there won't obliterate a dude who seems to have called a fair catch.....

So the solution for the gunners would seem to be to drill the next jerk who tries this. That would be bad.

Yes, if people are laughing at this return and thinking it's cool, you kind of remove the right to ever boo a guy for decapitating a return guy who made a weak signal or a signal they didn't see...much better to take the 15 yard personal foul and potentially concuss somebody than give up a td because you "thought" he wouldn't return the punt. I am not a big fan of a play that basically requires the opponent to be decent human beings...and then takes advantage of that fact .

Rule is that any motion qualifies as a fair catch.

If the referees weren't able to see the motion but players were able to and because of that stopped, it should be reviewed and brought back.

The only reason the defenders stopped is because there was a signal, and the refs happened to not see it because of their dumb rule.

It's a bad rule. Straight up. Make it clear that a fair catch has to be wave above helmet or it doesn't count.

Yes, if people are laughing at this return and thinking it's cool, you kind of remove the right to ever boo a guy for decapitating a return guy who made a weak signal or a signal they didn't see...much better to take the 15 yard personal foul and potentially concuss somebody than give up a td because you "thought" he wouldn't return the punt. I am not a big fan of a play that basically requires the opponent to be decent human beings...and then takes advantage of that fact .

Bingo. It's a silly fun play but the underlying mechanism is pretty terrible.

I watched the video a few times over. The "signal" he made looks more like just arm movement as part of his running and getting in position, instead of an explicit signal.

I watched the video a few times over. The "signal" he made looks more like just arm movement as part of his running and getting in position, instead of an explicit signal.

I belive the rule now is that ANY signal, even if unintentional, counts.

Obviously a person has to be able to move around and such so the refs have to make a judgment call but considering the ramifications of letting plays like this stand and gunners possibly choosing to drill people... probabbly should have called it.

I belive the rule now is that ANY signal, even if unintentional, counts.

Obviously a person has to be able to move around and such so the refs have to make a judgment call but considering the ramifications of letting plays like this stand and gunners possibly choosing to drill people... probabbly should have called it.

I read an interview with the player and the special teams coach. It's VERY likely that the referees knew that this play was going to happen. The coach wouldn't confirm or deny it, but apparently it's not uncommon for coaching staffs to notify officials if some sort of a trick play like this is being run so that they don't inadvertently end the play.

I read an interview with the player and the special teams coach. It's VERY likely that the referees knew that this play was going to happen. The coach wouldn't confirm or deny it, but apparently it's not uncommon for coaching staffs to notify officials if some sort of a trick play like this is being run so that they don't inadvertently end the play.

Yeah Mason outright said he tells the refs / asks them if they think it is legal to avoid any confusion. I'm pretty sure that is standard operating procedure for most coaches.

Sure looks like he motioned a bit with his arm on that sideline shot. The camera totally missed it with the end zone view. Shouldn’t have been allowed if that’s the case.

Craig James had a nice punt return called back after he moved his arm in a noncommittal way. It doesn’t have to be a wave above the head. I guess I’m not real excited about this?

Sure looks like he motioned a bit with his arm on that sideline shot. The camera totally missed it with the end zone view. Shouldn’t have been allowed if that’s the case.

Craig James had a nice punt return called back after he moved his arm in a noncommittal way. It doesn’t have to be a wave above the head. I guess I’m not real excited about this?

He got away with it he entertained the bigebees out of the fans.

I’m with you, I don’t like it. It looks like he waved his arm a little bit and made every indication that he was not going to return it. What’s the kicking team supposed to do in that situation? Deck him and get a penalty called on them? It’s a no win situation taking advantage of a rule that’s meant to protect a defenseless player.

Top Bottom