No-Butts-In-The-Seats Complaint Thread

It was a comfortable win…from my couch in beautiful air conditioning. On a day with a 97 degree heat index against a low-level MAC team, I was perfectly happy to not attendand support the Gophers from home.Can’t wait for the Hawkeyes game on the 8[SUP]th[/SUP]!
\\

If you're waiting to see the Hawkeyes on the 8th, you might be waiting a few years!

Brought my youngest(4 yo) to his first Gopher game. Our seats are on the sunny side. His cousins were at the game too. We left early and I'd leave early again and again. It was hot. We had the game locked up. We both needed air conditioning.

We arrived at 10:30 for tailgating and stayed the entire game on the sunny side, although a couple in our group moved out of the sun for the second half. Fired up the grill for some burgers after the game and left the lot about 7:30.

I agree with the lost revenue comment above. How did they not order an extra 25,000 bottles of water? They could have sold them all. If the profit on the $4.25 bottle of water is $3, that's a $75,000. That doesn't include the lost profits on sodas. Somebody should have to explain that lost opportunity to save their job. It's not like it was a surprise heat wave.

We left with 10:00 left in the fourth quarter. It was hot and we had the game in the bag. I don't blame anyone who left early.

\\

If you're waiting to see the Hawkeyes on the 8th, you might be waiting a few years!

Good point...but depending on how much we tailgate beforehand, I may need to re-watch the game on Monday to catch everything I missed in our victory over the Hogeyes and Floyd's return home!

I was there, sun side, and it sucked. I watched half the game in the shaded concourse. The medical people were busy near us with all the blue hairs taking the 10 count. Totally insane they ran out of water, the heat was predicted for a week before the game. It's not like bottle water will not carry over for the next home game, have too much . . . weird concept. Whoever does the ordering of concessions should be fire today!

If we beat Maryland, Iowa will be sold out.

This. /thread

Miami of Ohio .... sorry but no. Game was never in doubt. Not worth heat stroke, skin cancer, extreme dehydration. God bless those who were out there.

Talked to a friend who was at the game and sat on the Sunny side. They stayed to the end, but did take a few breaks up in the concourse to get out of the sun. She also remarked on the fubar situation at the concession stands, with running out of bottled water, and very long lines at the free water stations.

Sounds like the stadium operations crew needs a shake-up.

Talked to a friend who was at the game and sat on the Sunny side. They stayed to the end, but did take a few breaks up in the concourse to get out of the sun. She also remarked on the fubar situation at the concession stands, with running out of bottled water, and very long lines at the free water stations.

Sounds like the stadium operations crew needs a shake-up.

Sent a complaint to fan relations about it, asking for public explanation and action plan prior to the next home game, would ask anyone who felt similarly to do the same

[email protected]

Sent a complaint to fan relations about it, asking for public explanation and action plan prior to the next home game, would ask anyone who felt similarly to do the same

[email protected]

My complaint is that Summit Saga is only sold at a couple of concession stands in the concourse. Warm day, much easier to drink and refreshing than EPA or GB Nordeast.

Some misters in the open end would have been nice. The fair has some they can rent out. Getting the hoses there might be a chore though.

My complaint is that Summit Saga is only sold at a couple of concession stands in the concourse. Warm day, much easier to drink and refreshing than EPA or GB Nordeast.

Oh man dude they can't even figure out water as it is.... you're asking for rocket science as far as the folks in charge of concessions....

It was hot for sure and sorry to hear many had problems finding water. I didn’t have a problem refilling my empty beer glass with water multiple times from the drinking fountains near section 103 and the lines were not long.

Got a form response pretty fast

Chris,
First let me thank you for your input and feedback. We always want to know what our fans are thinking. There were several mistakes made which contributed to the bad situation on Saturday. One was a lack of free water hydration stations. We have had more of them in the past as I am sure as a season ticket holder you are aware. This was the Departments mistake not maximizing what we could have done. As you are I'm sure also aware Saturday's game was the second highest temperature in TCF Bank history. Overall it was a hot and humid situation which did not abet as the day wore on. This then led to the cancellation of a Gopher Women's Volleyball game for the first time in program history. Normally the heat and humidity are not this extreme a week from October. Our concession vendor also underestimated the amount of Bottled Water they would be needing. They knew about the Universities Water Stations and also their information as to how much water they traditionally sell on a late September Game.
Chris, we know that some of these answers will come off as excuses. We think it is very important that you know we are aware that mistakes were made and rest assured they will be addressed. We consider the safety of our patrons to be of utmost importance. We are already putting plans and systems in place to ensure this unsafe situation will not happen again.
Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback and your support of Golder Gopher Athletics.

Gopher Fan Relations

Got a form response pretty fast

I figured it was the mistake of the vendor that has the concessions contract. Those vouchers will come right out of that vendor's cut, so make sure if you get them and attend Iowa to cash them in at the game.

We hung out under the SE corner scoreboard for the 2nd half because there was shade and a breeze there. They had a small beer stand there that had Saga. No line too.

Probably already addressed but how was PJ wearing a shirt, tie, and long sleeve shirt all game?!?

I guess my reasoning if the players can be out there so can the fans.

To both teams' conditioning staff's credit I could not tell if any players were dealing with cramping issues. Maybe this was apparent through the TV and/or radio coverage but not from the stands.

Stayed the full game on the sunny side. It was hot but at least the breeze and first-half clouds were mitigating factors. Yes, that NMSU game was worse.

Well I have skin cancer and was at the game on the shaded side. It was HOT and uncomfortable...the players had it worst than we did. I paid the price on Sunday as I was sick all day.

Message to others: Please stop these stupid threads about attendance...you're not helping ANYTHING...try being positive...maybe it'll change your life.

Probably already addressed but how was PJ wearing a shirt, tie, and long sleeve shirt all game?!?
I read all 80 posts and was surprised to see that *nobody* commented on the fact that The Pride of Minnesota in their *wool* uniforms marched pre-game, halftime, during the game and post-game! Those kids put it out there!

I read all 80 posts and was surprised to see that *nobody* commented on the fact that The Pride of Minnesota in their *wool* uniforms marched pre-game, halftime, during the game and post-game! Those kids put it out there!

Agreed. Don't they have alternative uniforms for this weather? I actually felt bad for them. Poor judgement IMO on that decision and fortunate no one dropped on them.

Pretty sure the uniforms are polyester blend...not much better but not heavy wool. They do have lighter combos...I think they had one less layer on Saturday and all took off the tops while in the band pit. But I agree, they had to be dripping wet after the halftime show. Very hard working, dedicated group of students.

Pretty sure the uniforms are polyester blend...not much better but not heavy wool. They do have lighter combos...I think they had one less layer on Saturday and all took off the tops while in the band pit. But I agree, they had to be dripping wet after the halftime show. Very hard working, dedicated group of students.
The Jacket is wool. My son is in the band and he said they wore full uniforms for pregame, half uniforms (no jacket) during the game and full uniforms minus shako (hat) and gloves for halftime. He was hot! They had a lot of water and poweraid available.

The Jacket is wool. My son is in the band and he said they wore full uniforms for pregame, half uniforms (no jacket) during the game and full uniforms minus shako (hat) and gloves for halftime. He was hot! They had a lot of water and poweraid available.

They were not wearing the overlay, so one layer less.

In starting this thread no slight was intended. It's just it gets hot in September and August and people go to The Fair too.

So you start this thread citing hot weather being “not an excuse,” and criticizing those that did not stay. Then go on to say if if the players could play then the fans could stay. And now, when presented with the health concerns of other fans say “no slight intended?”

I appreciate you changing your mind, but really? It seem to me that a slight was, in fact, intended.

I only harp on this because macho BS about persisting in hot weather has a considerable body count. It is a serious matter.

Last edited:

Point taken MrC.

It was a glorious but very hot day for a football game with a 2:30 start. With the attendance at 31,000 a more positive thread would have read..."Kudos to the Folks Who Showed Up Today in the Almost Historic Heat Thread."

Chose to see the football stadium half empty...instead of half full...so the rest is history as catalogued in this thread.

Regardless, hoping that when we get to Game 11 against Northwestern that we'll have more than 31,000 even if bitterly cold (for November). I think all can agree that would be great.

It was not unpleasant on the shady side - went through only one bottle of water. Hard to believe there were more than 35k at kickoff and in the second half it looked more like 25k.

Point taken MrC.

It was a glorious but very hot day for a football game with a 2:30 start. With the attendance at 31,000 a more positive thread would have read..."Kudos to the Folks Who Showed Up Today in the Almost Historic Heat Thread."

Chose to see the football stadium half empty...instead of half full...so the rest is history as catalogued in this thread.

Regardless, hoping that when we get to Game 11 against Northwestern that we'll have more than 31,000 even if bitterly cold (for November). I think all can agree that would be great.

I think we can all agree on that as well! Bring foot and hand warmers...

The cost of tailgating/parking on campus is out of control maybe a driving factor on people not attending games as the tailgating is the best part. On the flip side the cost of in game tickets for the NC games have been dirt cheap. If the Gophers take an L at Maryland this Saturday the trend will continue of poor attendance at games. Such fair weather fans in our state....

Top Bottom