No-Butts-In-The-Seats Complaint Thread

Attendance is definitely a concern.

Its a cliche, but I do think winning can fix it. From what we have seen these first 3 games, we have a very exciting team and coach. This will draw fans, when the wins come, specifically, wins in the Big Ten.

I make it through every game and even I was struggling today. I brought my 8 year old. The first thing we did when we got there was buy water. We filled them up 5 times and drank between 100-120 ounces each. He didn't complain about the heat once and we were sitting on the sunny side. So proud of that kid.

We were in the sun and stayed through the game. I poured a lot of water on myself.

I make it through every game and even I was struggling today. I brought my 8 year old. The first thing we did when we got there was buy water. We filled them up 5 times and drank between 100-120 ounces each. He didn't complain about the heat once and we were sitting on the sunny side. So proud of that kid.

Love it! You're raising him well.

Go DarrenTheGreek's Son!!

Same, it was brutal.

It's so easy to say "oh man where are the people" but they were there, it was just intolerable if you were in the sun... and brutal if you weren't.

Ugh please stop these attendance threads. We don’t have a hometown team base like small college towns, we haven’t won consistently, Minnesotans are a fair weather fan base, it’s pricey and today it was scorching to the point of people passing out. The general public are not hardcore Gopher football fans like we on this board are. Sorry I know some of you just can’t accept this but it is reality. Just enjoy the season and stop worrying about others. I know it looks good to recruits when we have a packed house but we just don’t have the demand yet

I guess my reasoning if the players can be out there so can the fans.

To both teams' conditioning staff's credit I could not tell if any players were dealing with cramping issues. Maybe this was apparent through the TV and/or radio coverage but not from the stands.

Stayed the full game on the sunny side. It was hot but at least the breeze and first-half clouds were mitigating factors. Yes, that NMSU game was worse.

To both teams' conditioning staff's credit I could not tell if any players were dealing with cramping issues. Maybe this was apparent through the TV and/or radio coverage but not from the stands.

Stayed the full game on the sunny side. It was hot but at least the breeze and first-half clouds were mitigating factors. Yes, that NMSU game was worse.

Players get a bit more than we ... pay....

It was hot. Volleyball game got cancelled due to playability concerns and temperatures inside The Pav. I stayed for the entire game. was in the sun for most of it. Tailgated before. Felt awful leaving but a dip in the pool and some AC cured all.

3-0!!!

Dude Miami had players dropping every five minutes

We were in the southeast corner that got all sun after the first quarter and no breeze at all. It was brutal.

Yes was happy that the players seemed to be okay. Not a lot of cramping that I could see. We, like a lot of others, deserted our seats after a quarter to find shade and drink lots of water.

cheapest ticket is $25 dollars for a MAC opponent? Gophers have a lot more to prove before they can start demanding that.

I know one of the U of MN dispatchers who was working the game, she said they had at least 43 different medical calls related to the heat during today's game.

I read they had free water, but that concession stands also ran out of water during the first half.

Having people sit through heat for 3 hours of unusually high heat without a source for water... isn't that a form of torture?

I read they had free water, but that concession stands also ran out of water during the first half.

Having people sit through heat for 3 hours of unusually high heat without a source for water... isn't that a form of torture?

If you were on the shady side from the beginning, like I was, it did not seem too bad. But everyone is different. The sunny side would have been miserable. Sound like most folks prioritized their health and the health of their children. Good for them. For those who needed medical assistance, hope they are OK.

The weather was no joke. I promised my kids (4 & 2)that I would take them to a game. Didn’t realize that made me a bad fan when we left early.

No not at all. You took your children. Hopefully they had a great time and want to come back some day.

I didn't make it, because I was doing work at a K through 8 fundraiser. Too many misses for me, but I think this is only my third home game since the late 90's.

I was in the sun for the entire game and it wore me out. Still feeling the effects today. Heat and a high pollen count are not a good combination.

I worried about the crowd today. I know a lot of the general crowd would struggle, the thing that gets me is it looked like the student section was EMPTY. C'mon you young kids, SHOW UP!

The lower student section was full until halftime and then it was 90% empty. I know there was free water but there was a really long line. I don't know how they didn't quadruple their usual bottled water order, they missed out on a lot of profit by running out early in the second quarter. At $4.25/bottle there's a huge profit.

I know of at least two tickets that were not used. The radio station I work at had given away a pair of tickets for the game. Saturday morning at about 9:00am, the guy who won them calls and said something came up and he couldn't use them. we tried to give them away again during the Coaches' show, but had no takers. I thought about going by myself - but my lawn had not been mowed for about 10 days, and I really wanted to get it done on Saturday. So, I chose to mow the lawn, and watched the Gophers on TV. (as it turns out, I had to go back into work Saturday night due to technical issues with the Twins' game, so it was a good thing I didn't leave town.)

In my defense, I was looking at a 5-hour round-trip drive; I got 5 hours sleep Friday night after covering a HS FB game and going to work Saturday morning; and I just wasn't up to dealing with the Twin Cities traffic and parking.

They did show up. The east end bowl was brutally hot, they moved to the concourses and shady side.

Last year, 68% of issued tickets were actually used. I doubt we reached that mark yesterday.

Last year, 68% of issued tickets were actually used. I doubt we reached that mark yesterday.

And the National Average is 71%. However Minnesota, unlike many schools, does not count administrators, staff, concession workers etc. in the official attendance count.

Might as well give people an accurate view of the present system.

There is always the yearly thread discussing sunny vs shady side of TCF and it has mattered enough to some that they have moved their seats across the field. I have always been a shady-side guy. Saturday may have been the hottest yet but it seems nearly every year there is at least one game where I’m so thankful to be in the shade. We were pretty comfortable on Saturday and although I speculated it was uncomfortable on the sunny side, it wasn’t until I read through this thread that I realized how bad it was. I tend to get uncomfortably warm easier than I do uncomfortably cold so the shady south side of the stadium was built for me.

I sit on the side with no sun. Usually we are bitching in late October when we’re 30 degrees colder. Not so on Saturday. The shaded side was packed. Looked like a sellout. Sunny side was vacant

Bingo.

This is the balance between early and late in the season at our east-west oriented stadium. The opener and September games can be hot for the sunny side and the November games can be down-right frigid for the shade.

When choosing our original tickets I wanted the Home Side but Mrs. Billd said if I wanted her to come to games better be the Visitor Side in the sun. We chose the sunny side and I have no regrets. There is always one game where I'm so thankful to be in the sun.

In November we will appreciate those days where the clouds give way and the sun comes through for what was otherwise a very chilly day.

In starting this thread no slight was intended. It's just it gets hot in September and August and people go to The Fair too.

Welcome to Minnesota Football...where fans have the opportunity to swelter and freeze in the same season every year...

There is always the yearly thread discussing sunny vs shady side of TCF and it has mattered enough to some that they have moved their seats across the field. I have always been a shady-side guy. Saturday may have been the hottest yet but it seems nearly every year there is at least one game where I’m so thankful to be in the shade. We were pretty comfortable on Saturday and although I speculated it was uncomfortable on the sunny side, it wasn’t until I read through this thread that I realized how bad it was. I tend to get uncomfortably warm easier than I do uncomfortably cold so the shady south side of the stadium was built for me.

Yeah I'm all about the shade. I can do something about being cold (more booze, and clothing). Heat.... can't fix that.

I sit on the side with no sun. Usually we are bitching in late October when we’re 30 degrees colder. Not so on Saturday. The shaded side was packed. Looked like a sellout. Sunny side was vacant

Maybe we should expand the stadium to 80,000 and only sell 40,000 tickets. Each person who buys a ticket gets a sunny side seat and a shady seat.

I'm on the sunny side section 103, we got lucky and got some relief from the shadow of the scoreboard for most of the third quarter. It was pretty hot, stayed close to the bitter end, but left sometime after the Morgan interception. After going three quarters without decent access to water I'm not apologizing to anyone for leaving early.

It was a comfortable win…from my couch in beautiful air conditioning. On a day with a 97 degree heat index against a low-level MAC team, I was perfectly happy to not attendand support the Gophers from home.Can’t wait for the Hawkeyes game on the 8[SUP]th[/SUP]!

Top Bottom