WCCO: Winning With Winfield: Minnesota Safety Plays Up To His Name

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WCCO:

Minnesota (2-0), which hosts Miami of Ohio (0-2) on Saturday, badly missed Winfield last fall after a hamstring injury limited him to four games and he took a medical redshirt. Now he’s the leader of a young secondary, quickly building an All-Big Ten resume. After his 76-yard punt return for a touchdown in the opening victory over New Mexico State , Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said he could see Winfield making cameos on offense in addition to his new role on special teams and his established presence in the back of the defense.

“He’s an incredible player, but he’s an even better person than the day he walked in here in my opinion,” Fleck said. “He’s grown a lot, and his maturity allows him to make that play. But also, he’s got incredible genetics.”

That would be Antoine Winfield Sr., the former Minnesota Vikings safety who was long considered one of the best tacklers in the NFL despite his 5-foot-9 frame. He was picked for three Pro Bowls over 14 years in the league.

Like his father, the third-year Gophers sophomore carries an instinct to shine and an attitude to lead, on top of his natural athleticism and toughness.

“He’s an unbelievable player. We all know that. I can see it,” said linebacker Thomas Barber. “I get to live with him, so it’s cool to just be around and see how he acts after it too. He’s just so humble about it too.”

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/09/14/minnesota-gophers-antoine-winfield/

Go Gophers!!

Senior obviously played a role in Junior's life.

Top Bottom