Frost expects to be in Big Ten Championship game this December

They looked good against Colorado. Is that QB done for he year?

I'd say no. He was in his pads and helmet during the Troy game but from the sounds of the announcing crew, the staff chose not to play him.

I'd like to go slightly off thread topic here and talk about Frosted Flecks.

Quite a contrasting style between Frost and Fleck.

Frost it appears has the confidence to win right away. That is his personality and he has proven it can be done right away like what he did at UCF. Maybe because Nebraska's recruiting classes have more talent on paper than any of the B1G West foes, he thinks he can reach the B1G championship without a Year Zero. He has a lot of high expectations being a home town hero QB. Reality bites. You can't will a victory. He has been a winner, and I think he can do it at Nebraska. But, the hard work is ahead of him.

PJ Fleck on the other hand likes to build the foundation for a winning team schematically and in detail based on a cultural philosophy that requires changing mindsets for the long haul. He proved that was a winning formula at WMU. He has taken on a rebuilding project at both schools. I don't think with both respective schools you could have done it another way. He has no choice but rebuild from the ground up. The laundry list of why the Gophers had been languishing in mediocrity is long.

Both coaches have a lot of learning. IMHO, both will have the chance to get to great heights using different approaches.

Minnesota and Nebraska both went through a revolving turnstile of coaches.

Since 1998, Nebraska went through Solich (1998-2003) Callahan (2004-2007), Pellini (2008-2014), Riley (2015-2017), and now Frost.

In almost the same time frame, Minnesota went through Mason (1997-2006), Brewster/Horton (2007-2010), Kill (2011-2015), Claeys (2015-2016), and Fleck since 2017.

Compare NE and MN to NW and Iowa. Both of these programs have coaching stability. Hayden Fry (1979-1998) turned the keys of a winning program over to Ferentz (1999-Present). Barnett turned the NW program around. Walker (1999-2005, 37-46 ) took the helm, but did not quite continue the level of success. It was Fitzerald, who played LB for Barnett between 1993-1996, who took over Walker in 2006 that reinvigorate NW Football. Wisconsin, we all know what Donna Shalala and Barry Alvarez did.

I think Minnesota and Nebraska both have an opportunity to be successful in a suddenly very competitive B1G West. Hopefully both coaches stay for the long haul.

Stay tuned. The B1G West championship is getting a very crowded field.

Last edited:

Frost it appears has the confidence to win right away. That is his personality and he has proven it can be done right away like what he did at UCF. Maybe because Nebraska's recruiting classes have more talent on paper than any of the B1G West foes, he thinks he can reach the B1G championship without a Year Zero. He has a lot of high expectations being a home town hero QB. Reality bites. You can't will a victory. He has been a winner, and I think he can. But, the hard work is ahead of him.

PJ Fleck on the other hand likes to build the foundation for a winning team schematically and in detail based on a cultural philosophy that requires changing mindsets for the long haul. He proved that was a winning formula at WMU. He has taken on a rebuilding project at both schools. I don't think with both respective schools you could have done it another way. He has no choice but rebuild from the ground up. The laundry list of why the Gophers had been languishing in mediocrity is long.

Both coaches have a lot of learning. IMHO, both will have the chance to get to great heights using difference approaches.

Since 1998, Nebraska went through Solich (1998-2003) Callahan (2004-2007), Pellini (2008-2014), Riley (2015-2017), and now Frost.

In almost the same time frame, Minnesota went through Mason (1997-2006), Brewster/Horton (2007-2010), Kill (2011-2015), Claeys (2015-2016), and Fleck since 2017.

Compare NE and MN to NW and Iowa. Both of these programs have coaching stability. Hayden Fry (1979-1998) turned the keys of a winning program over to Ferentz (1999-Present). Barnett turned the NW program around. Walker (1999-2005, 37-46 ) took the helm, but did not quite continue the level of success. It was Fitzerald, who played LB for Barnett between 1993-1996, who took over Walker in 2006 that reinvigorate NW Football. Wisconsin, we all know what Donna Shalala and Barry Alvarez did.

I think Minnesota and Nebraska both have an opportunity to be successful in a suddenly very competitive B1G West. Hopefully both coaches stay for the long haul.

To be fair didn't Walker die at NW and also he did have a shared big ten title in 2000

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Who is Frost going to be coaching for in December?

Husker fans are still more bought into Frost than Gopher fans are of Fleck despite them having similar experiences at WMU and UCF and PJ showing signs of goodness and Frost losing to everyone. *shrugs*

To be fair didn't Walker die at NW and also he did have a shared big ten title in 2000

Yes to both. Though his record the rest of his career before his unfortunate death was pretty mediocre at best. Only one other winning season out of seven.

The thing with Frost is this - he tried to go all in with bringing in a pile of JUCO (and grad transfer?) players and claim he wasn't rebuilding. Now it's starting to blow up in his face. Nebraska fans don't want to hear they are rebuilding, but they really don't want to hear promises of championships only to sh1t the bed. If he was a coach without such a strong connection to the school they'd already be calling for his head. I'm really wondering how the decision to rely so heavily on JUCO's will affect them in the next couple years as I imagine their classes will become quite unbalanced.

I don't know if either coach will succeed or fail in the long run. But I think Fleck's slower approach, building it primarily through recruiting freshmen that fit his scheme, is more likely to be successful. I certainly think it was a better fit for MN.

He did die suddenly of a heart attack in 2006.

Yes, Northwestern tied for the Big Ten conference title (8-4, 6-2) in 2000 from the largesse of former coach Gary Barnett recruits.

Per Wikipedia:
"Randy Walker had a 37–46 career record at Northwestern. In 2000, Walker overhauled the offense and introduced the spread formation. Unlike most other spread offenses, Walker's featured a very strong running game. His run game was so strong, in fact, that only one season in Walker's entire time at Northwestern did he fail to coach a 1000-yard rusher. This offense helped the Wildcats share the Big Ten title in his second year. He is third behind Pappy Waldorf in career victories. Walker also was the first Wildcat coach to lead three different teams to bowl games. In addition, he became the first Wildcat coach ever to guide three straight teams to four or more Big Ten wins."

Death
"On June 29, 2006, Walker, who was only 52, died suddenly of an apparent heart attack, leaving the Northwestern community stunned. He had battled a viral heart infection in the fall of 2004.[2] On July 7, 2006 Pat Fitzgerald was named to replace him as head coach of the Wildcats."

Walker NW Coaching Record
1999 --3–8---1–7----10th
2000---8–4---6–2----T–1st---L---Alamo
2001---4–7---2–6----T–10th
2002---3–9---1–7----T–10th
2003---6–7---4–4----T–7th---L---Motor City
2004---6–6---5–3----4th
2005---7–5---5–3----T–3rd---L---Sun
NW Career:---37–45---24–32

Last edited:

This is a great thread to compare and contrast approaches.

PJ was blamed for talking down expectations during year 1 and year 2.

Frost was lauded by some on here for saying he was going to be in the B1G championship game in December. The anti-PJ approach - promise the world.

Fleck was 5-7 in year 1, and it appears Frost will struggle to reach that record based on Nebraska's start.

I'll gladly take PJ's verbal approach, huge goals long-term with a tempered short-term view, any day over Frost promising the world year 1 and not delivering.

I'll gladly take PJ's verbal approach, huge goals long-term with a tempered short-term view, any day over Frost promising the world year 1 and not delivering.

Yes, but also two completely different fan bases, with completely different expectations. Huskers fans still genuinely think it's the late 90's, and think they should be doing what Alabama is doing now.

Even with a super QB (if he remains healthy), to get to a bowl he has to win five of nine B14 games. After Saturday, it will be five of eight and the eight are: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa, Ohio State, Purdue, Minnesota, Michigan State, Illinois. Possible, but not likely. A bowl will be tough, the West championship impossible.

Even with a super QB (if he remains healthy), to get to a bowl he has to win five of nine B14 games. After Saturday, it will be five of eight and the eight are: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa, Ohio State, Purdue, Minnesota, Michigan State, Illinois. Possible, but not likely. A bowl will be tough, the West championship impossible.

I like their chances against Bethune-Cookman on October 27.

Frost it appears has the confidence to win right away. That is his personality and he has proven it can be done right away like what he did at UCF. Maybe because Nebraska's recruiting classes have more talent on paper than any of the B1G West foes, he thinks he can reach the B1G championship without a Year Zero. He has a lot of high expectations being a home town hero QB. Reality bites. You can't will a victory. He has been a winner, and I think he can. But, the hard work is ahead of him.

Both coaches have a lot of learning. IMHO, both will have the chance to get to great heights using difference approaches.

Could easily flip the narrative you've spun. Badgers, Wolverines, LSU have had four HCs in that same stretch. Auburn, Oregon, Florida have had five.

We are only interested in the current NE and MN situations unique to both schools' circumstances.

You can flip the narratives to about discussions on just about any thread you want, but that is not our discussion point here.

Last edited:

Top Bottom