Trophy Games

magpie

Banned
Reaction score
I was looking at the current and upcoming schedules and a couple of things came to mind. For starters, trophy games are important. Though they can be one-sided, they add an extra element (or selling point, let's face it - it's about $$ these days) to a given game. Fortunately, Wisconsin is geographically next to us so we can play them yearly and keep the most played college football rivalry alive. However, Michigan is just over the geographical divider and thus we aren't frequently maintaining the oldest trophy game in college football. Now say all you want about the historical records, but you'd think those two games specifically would be on the Big Ten's "must play" list. Side note, why are we only playing Indiana twice a decade?
Okay, so here are my two questions:

How do you feel about the above scheduling rant? Would you like to see Michigan as a permanent cross-over game for purposes of tradition (I get that we typically lose it, but c'mon... it's a pre-modern era rivalry and the oldest trophy game)?

And (though I'm sure it's been discussed before) what happens if we meet Michigan (or Penn State) in a Big Ten Championship game? Would the rivalry trophy be on the line as well or only the conference championship trophy?

Let's go back to the Legends and Leaders!

I was looking at the current and upcoming schedules and a couple of things came to mind. For starters, trophy games are important. Though they can be one-sided, they add an extra element (or selling point, let's face it - it's about $$ these days) to a given game. Fortunately, Wisconsin is geographically next to us so we can play them yearly and keep the most played college football rivalry alive. However, Michigan is just over the geographical divider and thus we aren't frequently maintaining the oldest trophy game in college football. Now say all you want about the historical records, but you'd think those two games specifically would be on the Big Ten's "must play" list. Side note, why are we only playing Indiana twice a decade?
Okay, so here are my two questions:

How do you feel about the above scheduling rant? Would you like to see Michigan as a permanent cross-over game for purposes of tradition (I get that we typically lose it, but c'mon... it's a pre-modern era rivalry and the oldest trophy game)?

And (though I'm sure it's been discussed before) what happens if we meet Michigan (or Penn State) in a Big Ten Championship game? Would the rivalry trophy be on the line as well or only the conference championship trophy?

Yes.

Doesn't matter the circumstances for them playing, trophy is always on the line.

Next month marks the 40th anniversary of the last time we had the Jug, the Axe, and the Pig in our possession at the same time. For all of two weeks.

I assume having a cross-division "must play" game for Gophers v Michigan only would mean that other B1G west teams would miss their turn to play Michigan in the rotation. I suppose you could just tell Illinois or Northwestern to live with not getting to play Michigan for 3-4 years. Maybe you could give each team one cross-division "rivalry" game to keep things balanced.

I'd set up the cross-conference "must plays" like this:

Wisconsin - Ohio State
Iowa - Penn State
Minnesota - Michigan
Nebraska - Michigan Sate
Northwestern - Maryland
Purdue - Indiana
Illinois - Rutgers

The issue with the jug rivalry is that MN and Mich. geography means you can't really justify dropping both teams in same east or west division after the conference expanded/split.

Even the "legends" vs. "leaders" attempt a few years back had complications. Of course, you could always scrap some non-conference and play into December in order to move to a 13-game conference slate.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ds-the-new-big-ten-reveals-logo-and-much-more

Last edited:

I like the cross conference rivalry/mandatory game. The SEC does it and it is successful in preserving traditional rivalries.

I like the cross conference rivalry/mandatory game. The SEC does it and it is successful in preserving traditional rivalries.

Even more importantly for the SEC Alabama then gets to play TN and Vanderbilt rather than Georgia or Florida.

Doesn't matter the circumstances for them playing, trophy is always on the line.

I could be incorrect but I think, in most instances, conferences and / or schools, have Conference Championships treated just as such and rivalry trophies are not up for grabs.

For example, Fresno State won the Milk Can from Boise State last year and then played Boise for the Mountain West Title. Boise won the rematch but did not get milk can back. Instead, they got a Conference Title. Championship games are viewed as post-season. Rivalry Games are viewed as regular season.

I could be completely wrong but that’s how I understand that type of situation. One thing I know for sure, it would be a wonderful thing to have us - as Gopher fans - find out someday. If we ever see a thread about a rematch rivalry game in the same season (Trophy exchange or not), that would mean the team has had a solid season.

I would not want Michigan as a permanent cross over game. Why? Because the Gophers lose to them about 75% of the time. They didn’t even beat them a lot when they were good and that number is way higher over the past 40 years or so.

Heck, I don’t even consider the game vs. Michigan a rivalry. If a team wins 70%+ of the time, that’s no longer a rivalry. Heck, just give them the Jug and be done with it. Michigan is normally a power or at least +.500 team most years and the Gophers, over the past 40 years or so, have been lucky to be above .500.

Top Bottom