Gophers’ strongman Gary Moore acknowledged, overcame vulnerabilities

noamfromm

Reaction score
Per Andy:

When Moore arrived in Minnesota in the summer of 2014, learning disabilities in speech and reading set him back. He would read a passage multiple times but struggle to comprehend it. Teammate Jerry Gibson, also from Alabama, would translate what Moore was saying in their introductory speech class.

Five years later, Moore has fought his disability, and yearning to be with his son, to earn an undergraduate degree. Now working on a master’s, he also is set to start his third straight game this season when the Gophers face Miami (Ohio) at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

In April, Moore was presented with the Richard “Pinky” McNamara Student-Athlete Achievement Award, a distinction given to those who inspire others through their success amid adversity. The 6-foot-4, 290-pound defensive tackle will be doing the dirty work in the middle of Minnesota’s defense while wearing No. 19 to honor his father Gary, who passed away on Oct. 19, 2011.

“No one told me (their story), so I felt like I should tell people mine to help out from the standpoint of people that are coming up to not be nervous of asking for help,” Moore said.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/...-moore-acknowledged-overcame-vulnerabilities/

Great story. Good Luck Gary, I'll be rooting extra hard for you.

Good luck to Gary and good job asking and finding help.
Learning disabilities can be a real hurdle.

It has taken incredible determination and work ethic for Moore to get where he is. Another great Gopher success story.

Fantastic story! I worked as a sports writer in the Deep South, so I saw the challenges that a lot of kids from those public schools faced regarding education and being prepared for college. Reading this makes me feel good about Gary and his future!

Good man, good father, great story.

Another great story about a Gopher FB player. Congrats to Gary on earning a degree.

Great story! Godspeed Gary Moore on your fantastic journey! You've have accomplished so much. You've made your parents and son proud.

Who would not want to play for coaches like PJ Fleck? When we see more of this type of success stories, this will sell the program more to the families of football players than anything else.

Most of the kids on the team are not going to the NFL. But, they will become men with good training to be outstanding citizens.

Last edited:

Great story!! Will Durwood Kirby be lining up along side him?

Boy, that's ancient history! The Garry Moore Show - late 1950's, early 1960's. I wasn't nearly in the oven yet.

Top Bottom