Lansing State Journal ranks Big 10 Stadiums: TCF #6

There is simply too many drunks in Madison and everywhere I go in Wisconsin. How apropos, everyone who drive has a whiskey plate.

How is northwestern not on the bottom? Went there last year and there was zero tailgating and zero team loyalty. The were more people at a high school game.
Yes the weather was not good, but they are the most fair weather fans (pun intended)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Number 6 is not bad since the stadium really needs some fixes. It does need another large scoreboard. It should be moved to the other side on top of the second deck where the second smaller scoreboard is but it should be bigger and wider and moved to the middle. You don't need to put more seats on the top for the remaining space. You need to think outside of the box. Put in a club or a restaurant with box seats. The views from up there are great. One can dream.

I love how the article talks about how it's cold here in November.
Average November highs in:
Madison: 44
East Lansing: 47
Minneapolis: 41
Ann Arbor: 48

I'm not sure those few degrees really make that big of a difference.

Don't blame the students for not hanging around today, had to be over 100 degrees all day in their sections.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was just reading a Fresno St fan's review of his visit, and his first compliment was of the stadium.

Thought it was great and not a bad seat in the house. Which is true.
I suppose we get spoiled by these new stadiums popping up everywhere, meanwhile when you compare TCF to other Big Ten stadiums, it shows all the advantages of open concourses and good space, not to mention a decent location in the midst of people.

Can someone elaborate why NW'ern is so bad?

I would think it would have a good neighborhood / tailgating vibe to it.
Is it just small crowds and bad stadium?

The other hard part about Northwestern is getting there by car. It’s nowhere near a major highway and there isn’t much parking around there. If you know someone that has a parking pass in one of the adjacent lots next to the stadium, the tailgating can be decent. I’ve been in their club once and it’s ok, rest of stadium needs a ton of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The writer notes that attendance and atmosphere count for a lot, so I understand the ratings, but I actually liked Indiana and Illinois Memorial Stadiums a lot.

The Penn State stadium is pretty messed up generally, but I did enjoy the environment.

The claustrophobic feeling you get when crammed into Camp Randall and Kinnick is not so nice but agree there is energy in those two stadiums. Michigan Stadium is cramped and not so energetic.

I agree with the comments on Purdue and Michigan State, but think Ryan Field needs to be bulldozed asap.

I suspect I'd like being in the Rutgers and Maryland stadiums, and hope to get to those places.

I'll find out about Nebraska in five weeks. I picked seats way up in that new addition- the very high upper east deck. I am betting that for ADA reasons, there is more room up there and some restrooms fairly close, relative to the end zone areas.

You chose well. I've been to Nebraska twice, once before the new addition and sat way up near the video screen. It was horrible getting to and from my seat, to the point that once I made it there, I didn't move again until the game was over. It was climbing stairs in the bleacher section for ever to get to the seat. I went again just after they built the new section, and you are right, much more comfortable and also far easier to get to. They have escalators and probably no more than about 20 steps to get to almost every seat, plus bathrooms and concessions aplenty. Be sure to get a runza while you're there. They're a local beef and cabbage pasty, served hot, and are delicious.

You chose well. I've been to Nebraska twice, once before the new addition and sat way up near the video screen. It was horrible getting to and from my seat, to the point that once I made it there, I didn't move again until the game was over. It was climbing stairs in the bleacher section for ever to get to the seat. I went again just after they built the new section, and you are right, much more comfortable and also far easier to get to. They have escalators and probably no more than about 20 steps to get to almost every seat, plus bathrooms and concessions aplenty. Be sure to get a runza while you're there. They're a local beef and cabbage pasty, served hot, and are delicious.

Yes, I was curious about the runza and will try one.

Also, I was a bit harsh in my comments on Michigan Stadium. In fairness to the venue, the perimeter wall, which is the outer limit of the ticketed area, allowed for a lot of outdoor overflow space for concessions and restrooms (much like LA Coliseum, made it much less claustrophobic, and the tailgating scene and post game downtown Ann Arbor part were very good.

I was in Ann Arbor for the heartbreaking 2004 late loss. Since they added the giant suites towers on each side, the volume has probably gone up and I a sure they added some good features. I try to get back there sometime.

Top Bottom