Lansing State Journal ranks Big 10 Stadiums: TCF #6

Camp Randall is a sh!t hole, the atmosphere is top notch but the place is complete garbage disgusting and falling apart. Can't take this article seriously.

Camp Randall is a sh!t hole, the atmosphere is top notch but the place is complete garbage disgusting and falling apart. Can't take this article seriously.

Relax BB. They are very complimentary and acknowledge if we start filling the stadium we would be much higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just saying Camp Randall is a legit sh!t hole. I've been in nicer biffs than that stadium.

I'm just saying Camp Randall is a legit sh!t hole. I've been in nicer biffs than that stadium.

This.

Plus I've never seen so many over the top hammered people of all ages. Been there 3 times and it's been the same every time. 2nd time there a gal who had to be a gal who was like 70 that was so drunk she could hardly stand and her grandson? (I assume) was trying to get in a fight with a cop. Grandma could sling the harsh words though to the coppers! This was just to get in the stadium. I was like man... they are hardcore here!

The writer notes that attendance and atmosphere count for a lot, so I understand the ratings, but I actually liked Indiana and Illinois Memorial Stadiums a lot.

The Penn State stadium is pretty messed up generally, but I did enjoy the environment.

The claustrophobic feeling you get when crammed into Camp Randall and Kinnick is not so nice but agree there is energy in those two stadiums. Michigan Stadium is cramped and not so energetic.

I agree with the comments on Purdue and Michigan State, but think Ryan Field needs to be bulldozed asap.

I suspect I'd like being in the Rutgers and Maryland stadiums, and hope to get to those places.

I'll find out about Nebraska in five weeks. I picked seats way up in that new addition- the very high upper east deck. I am betting that for ADA reasons, there is more room up there and some restrooms fairly close, relative to the end zone areas.

Last edited:

This.

Plus I've never seen so many over the top hammered people of all ages. Been there 3 times and it's been the same every time. 2nd time there a gal who had to be a gal who was like 70 that was so drunk she could hardly stand and her grandson? (I assume) was trying to get in a fight with a cop. Grandma could sling the harsh words though to the coppers! This was just to get in the stadium. I was like man... they are hardcore here!

Watch where you walk in that stadium, it's caked with piss and puke.

But as the writer states it does have a great atmosphere, makes our fans look like elementary school kids on timeout.

Only been to Iowa and TCF.

Sixth is a pretty good ranking.

Personally, I have been to the top 4. There is not a bad seat in the house at TCF and has better amenities than the top 4 IMO.

Now, if TCF had a game day atmosphere like the others it would rival anyone...

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...tball-stadiums-ranking-best-worst/1273424002/

6. TCF Bank Stadium — Minnesota
If the Gophers ever begin to fill their new stadium, it would climb this list. Relative to the Metrodome, no Big Ten school has improved its home field more. TCF Bank Stadium is less than a decade old but has a vintage feel with its brick exterior, to go with modern and spacious amenities on a campus tucked in an awesome city. It’s cold in November there. Really cold. But this is one of the better Big Ten venues for the first two months of the season.

“Favorite Big Ten stadium has to be TCF Bank Stadium. With a seating capacity of around 51,000 it is an intimate setting. With the open end of the stadium facing West toward downtown Minneapolis the views can be spectacular.” — Jeff Potrykus, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Go Gophers!!

6 is pretty generous if they're counting atmosphere and attendance.

I think they're right that TCF does feel intimate... and can feel big too. It's a nice design that way.

I would actually rate us #7. I am including tailgating.

1) Nebraska (been there)
2) Penn State (been there)
3) Michigan (been there)
4) Ohio State (been there)
5) Wisconsin (been there)
6) Iowa (been there)
7) Minnesota TCF (been there lol)
8) Michigan State (never been there)
9) Indiana (been there) tailgating is great
10) Illinois (never been there)
11) Purdue (never been there)
12) Northwestern (been there and not impressed)
13) Maryland (going there this year)
14) Rutgers (maybe next year?)

Last game you attended there? Be honest.

2014, we had a big first half with Cobb running through tackles then they shut us down in the 2nd half... for a half we thought it was finally the year.

Then I got so drunk I couldn’t remember which hotel we were staying in, it was a great time.

I would actually rate us #7. I am including tailgating.

1) Nebraska (been there)
2) Penn State (been there)
3) Michigan (been there)
4) Ohio State (been there)
5) Wisconsin (been there)
6) Iowa (been there)
7) Minnesota TCF (been there lol)
8) Michigan State (never been there)
9) Indiana (been there) tailgating is great
10) Illinois (never been there)
11) Purdue (never been there)
12) Northwestern (been there and not impressed)
13) Maryland (going there this year)
14) Rutgers (maybe next year?)

I've been to Northwestern several times and Maryland once. I can't imagine a game day experience worse than Northwestern included crowd, facilities, tailgate. Pretty much get there at Anthem time and leave ASAP. Maryland is nicer than that, from the top of the stands at Maryland you can see several of the DC monuments in the distance, clean nice place. Not sure where it ranks against others I haven't seen but I have it higher than Northwestern for sure. Iowa tailgating is great and the bar area walking distance away is hopping pre and post game, but stadium is pretty much a dump. Not clean, ran out of food and beverages at half time last year.

Nebraska is definitely the best experience and stadium of the ones I've been to. My list of ones I've been to.

#1 Nebraska
#2-4 Interchangeable WI IA MN
#5 Maryland
#6 Northwestern

6 is pretty generous if they're counting atmosphere and attendance.

I think they're right that TCF does feel intimate... and can feel big too. It's a nice design that way.

I think that this just shows how nice the amenities and overall feel of our stadium is that we are that high despite smaller crowds and a sometimes disinterested fanbase.

But I do think it rings true and I am friends with a lot of Badger and Hawkeye fans and they have both said the same thing in the past that has caught my attention. They said that while they will much rather watch a big game with a lot on the line at their respective stadium because of the atmosphere and crowds, the viewing experience and stadium amenities of TCF make a regular non-conference game or Illinois or Purdue type game preferable at TCF.

I think that this just shows how nice the amenities and overall feel of our stadium is that we are that high despite smaller crowds and a sometimes disinterested fanbase.

But I do think it rings true and I am friends with a lot of Badger and Hawkeye fans and they have both said the same thing in the past that has caught my attention. They said that while they will much rather watch a big game with a lot on the line at their respective stadium because of the atmosphere and crowds, the viewing experience and stadium amenities of TCF make a regular non-conference game or Illinois or Purdue type game preferable at TCF.

Yeah the visitors who end up sitting around me always note how nice TCF is. It still feels like a college stadium.... without being decrepit, and seems very nice... without being a sterile NFL stadium...

I was just reading a Fresno St fan's review of his visit, and his first compliment was of the stadium.

Thought it was great and not a bad seat in the house. Which is true.
I suppose we get spoiled by these new stadiums popping up everywhere, meanwhile when you compare TCF to other Big Ten stadiums, it shows all the advantages of open concourses and good space, not to mention a decent location in the midst of people.

Can someone elaborate why NW'ern is so bad?

I would think it would have a good neighborhood / tailgating vibe to it.
Is it just small crowds and bad stadium?

Yes and Yes. It's in a residential neighborhood, bar area is 1.7 miles away (although it is only one stop away on the train) . Bars near stadium are not selling alchohol prior to 11am on a Saturday due to local liquor laws, so no pregame excitement at that bar area for 11 am starts (which almost all are due to no one caring about Northwestern football). It's a one hour train ride from Chicago to the stadium, that's a long way to bring a ton of tailgate gear that you can't bring into the game. The fan base is anemic, for those that say winning will fill the stadium, that might be the missing ingredient here, but northwestern has had some pretty good years and attendance is still in the toilet in a smaller stadium near to a big city.

Stadium feels like a High school stadium complete with sub par aluminum construction on most of the sections. Poor lighting and the prerequisite disgusting bathrooms.

As others have said, if we're just ranking the stadiums, TCF is the best in the conference by a pretty good margin. When you add in the overall experience -- atmosphere, tailgating, campus, etc. -- Minnesota is probably middle of the pack. Which, it seems, is what this writer is doing. In which case, Wisconsin and Michigan are completely overrated and Penn State and Indiana are underrated.

As others have said, if we're just ranking the stadiums, TCF is the best in the conference by a pretty good margin. When you add in the overall experience -- atmosphere, tailgating, campus, etc. -- Minnesota is probably middle of the pack. Which, it seems, is what this writer is doing. In which case, Wisconsin and Michigan are completely overrated and Penn State and Indiana are underrated.

Just seeing the whiteout at Penn State on TV makes me want to try to get there eventually.

Would like to go to Madison one day to watch the Gophers play, if they somehow win, all the better.

As a U of Minn fan there ... do you legit have to worry about people trying to fight you/throw bottles at you/etc?? OR just giving you s___. The latter I can understand and live with. I won't deal with the former.

Would like to go to Madison one day to watch the Gophers play, if they somehow win, all the better.

As a U of Minn fan there ... do you legit have to worry about people trying to fight you/throw bottles at you/etc?? OR just giving you s___. The latter I can understand and live with. I won't deal with the former.

It's not Philly, fans there can be assholes but if your in control of yourself no reason to assume an altercation. If you roll with people who are looking for fights, they will find one.

It should be noted that I'm sure we'd go up in rankings if not for:

- That stupid grey shack on the roof of the visitor's side near the open end ... just plain grey, it is a pefect spot for a big M or something... but no it's just grey.

- The flags poles on the same roof that no longer hold all the B1G team flags... put the B1G flags back up!

I was just reading a Fresno St fan's review of his visit, and his first compliment was of the stadium.

Thought it was great and not a bad seat in the house. Which is true.
I suppose we get spoiled by these new stadiums popping up everywhere, meanwhile when you compare TCF to other Big Ten stadiums, it shows all the advantages of open concourses and good space, not to mention a decent location in the midst of people.

Can someone elaborate why NW'ern is so bad?

Because it's right on the lake, there can be a hellish cold wind all game. If it is raining, like the last game I attended there (Crofts debut) it can be brutal.

No, they razz you but in fun. Plus they are happy drunks. Was there for Gophs last victory (1994) and they were generally very nice.

Last edited:

Our group in 2014 actually got kind of loud when cobb was running all over their defense and still had no problems. Actually had pretty good conversations with the wisconsin fans around us. There can always be that bad apple but if you are respectful they usually are too. Have been to a lot of away games for different MN teams, NFL fans are by far the worst. As far as wisconsin fans go, I think it's been so long since we beat them the rivalry on their end has really cooled down... :(

Edit: I'll also add: as sh!tty as their stadium is the atmosphere in and around the stadium on game day is what I wish we had at the U... well maybe a little less alcohol but I think you get the point.

Last edited:

I had an experience with the former on one of my trips. Walking the mile and change back to the car. Beer cans thrown at us, aggressive drunk fans. That was 15 years ago and I suppose they saw guys in their early 20's and though they could goad into a fight. Don't know how old you are, but guessing it wouldn't be as bad for middle aged fans.

Top Bottom