Speedy Gophers freshman cornerback Terell Smith off to a fast start - Twin Cities.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
Terell Smith committed to Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class when he was a junior in Snellville, Ga., in March 2017. As a senior last fall, he received a lot of attention from other schools, including the Fighting Irish.

But Notre Dame slipped up in October when it sent him a graphic that misspelled his name. Smith posted it on Twitter, and once it was called out, he replied: “The (graphic) was cool. That’s why I posted it but Coach Fleck never (spelled) my name wrong. Just saying.”

As recruiting interest in Smith heated up — including other reported offers from Michigan State, Louisville and Florida — Gophers coach P.J. Fleck kept trying to get a read on the firmness of his oral commitment.

“There wasn’t much wavering, and he always told us, ‘Why are you so worried? Why do you keep asking me about that? You know I’m coming there,’ ” Fleck said. “I’m like, ‘No, I don’t think you’re coming here.’ ”

In the end, P.J. Fleck credited Smith’s “pretty concrete” commitment, and this fall, the talented freshman has been a solid contributor through two games...

The Gophers correlated his track times to show he is the “fastest Big Ten corner commit since 2010.”

“His speed is incredible,” Fleck said. “He needs a lot of work on his fundamentals and technique, which (secondary) coach (Jahmile) Addae is working on him with every day. He’s only been here three months. The kid has only been here three months. To be able to play that well, that early just shows what’s coming.”..

“ ‘The Flash!’ ” Fleck said. “That’s what he is; he’s ‘The Flash.’ ”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/...terell-smith-off-to-a-fast-start-just-saying/

He will play on Sundays

Terell Smith committed to Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class when he was a junior in Snellville, Ga., in March 2017. As a senior last fall, he received a lot of attention from other schools, including the Fighting Irish.

But Notre Dame slipped up in October when it sent him a graphic that misspelled his name. Smith posted it on Twitter, and once it was called out, he replied: “The (graphic) was cool. That’s why I posted it but Coach Fleck never (spelled) my name wrong. Just saying.”

As recruiting interest in Smith heated up — including other reported offers from Michigan State, Louisville and Florida — Gophers coach P.J. Fleck kept trying to get a read on the firmness of his oral commitment.

“There wasn’t much wavering, and he always told us, ‘Why are you so worried? Why do you keep asking me about that? You know I’m coming there,’ ” Fleck said. “I’m like, ‘No, I don’t think you’re coming here.’ ”

In the end, P.J. Fleck credited Smith’s “pretty concrete” commitment, and this fall, the talented freshman has been a solid contributor through two games...

The Gophers correlated his track times to show he is the “fastest Big Ten corner commit since 2010.”

“His speed is incredible,” Fleck said. “He needs a lot of work on his fundamentals and technique, which (secondary) coach (Jahmile) Addae is working on him with every day. He’s only been here three months. The kid has only been here three months. To be able to play that well, that early just shows what’s coming.”..

“ ‘The Flash!’ ” Fleck said. “That’s what he is; he’s ‘The Flash.’ ”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/...terell-smith-off-to-a-fast-start-just-saying/

Makes me want to by a ticket. Call him "The Ticket"

Smith = NFL

T-time honestly has the fastest closing speed of any DB I can recall that went to UMN. This kid has the closing speed Ohio st or Mich usually have.

If he gets his fundamental steps and keys down, easy NFL and possible high draft pick: kid is big, physical, and FAST!

I agree, this kid is going to be really good. I remember thinking Murray was going to be good, and you easily saw it with Winfield. This kids the same. Looking forward to watching him grow!

He’s certainly played well and, if he continues to improve throughout the season, will be a Freshman All-American as Winfield was.

I have really been impressed with his sure tackling so far this season!

Here is a good example to high caliber HS football players of why you'd want to go to a Minnesota to play for football instead of one of the Super P5 teams. Not only do you get to play in a P5 Football Conference, you get a chance to start right away. You'll be the top dog and get instance recognition by NFL teams.

Here is a good example to high caliber HS football players of why you'd want to go to a Minnesota to play for football instead of one of the Super P5 teams. Not only do you get to play in a P5 Football Conference, you get a chance to start right away. You'll be the top dog and get instance recognition by NFL teams.

I believe that establishing a track record of sending players to the NFL is more important than the potential of instant playing time for most of the highly touted recruits. Kids are willing to be patient at schools like Bama, OSU, Clemson... They feel that it is worth waiting a year or two for the best chance to go pro. A school like Minnesota can benefit when a player feels like for whatever reason things don't work out ala OJ Smith and Chris Williamson.

The way he's playing right now, it looks like he will be a 3 year player. Which IMO is good!!!!

I believe that establishing a track record of sending players to the NFL is more important than the potential of instant playing time for most of the highly touted recruits. Kids are willing to be patient at schools like Bama, OSU, Clemson... They feel that it is worth waiting a year or two for the best chance to go pro. A school like Minnesota can benefit when a player feels like for whatever reason things don't work out ala OJ Smith and Chris Williamson.

PJ is marketing us in a big way on the WR position.
I'm sure he hopes to use Winfield the same way.

"We're WR and DB U!"

Let's hope all this publicity leads to a positive domino effect for Gopher Recruiting.

This is exciting. We haven't had buzz like this around young players since Bronko

Saying "we suck, you'll play here right away" is a good pitch for the first year, maybe two. If Fleck's still using this pitch for the 2020 class, we're screwed.

Top Bottom