Earliest Gopher football memory?

Both of the Rose Bowls. New Years Day. Always had big family get to gethers. All of us huddled around the TV watching the games.

Early 70's listening to Ray while road hunting pheasants in S. Minnesota with my Dad. I was a band person so loved hearing the Rouser in the background. Attended my first game at Memorial in 73'. I was hooked and still am to this very day! GO GOPHERS

I went to the 1991 MN vs WI game at the dome. Sconnie won when Haas dropped a pass in the end zone to win it. Iirc, mn went for the win instead of kicking a FG and ending the game in a tie which was still in use at the time

If you are talking about Alex Haas, he was not on the roster until 1999.

I see Stan55 and Stan the Caddy have both responded to this thread, I feel compelled to offer my first memory as well.

Chip Lohmiller's game winning kick vs Michigan. Our house went ape ****!

By the way, I LOVE this thread! Thanks for starting it UPandUnder!

I’m glad its getting responses! Fun to see memories from the 40s through now. Its an amazing history and cool to know so many people on here share the same passion

These are fantastic stories. Thank you for sharing! My first game was at an empty Dome coached by Joe Salem, but one of my first real memories is Darrell Thompson's first game. Holy cow! I was so thankful he chose to stay in Minnesota. Other great memories are ruining Iowa's chance to go to the Rose Bowl, our upset of Wisconsin in 1993, and for sure being at the Big House when Rickie scrambled and Chip kicked for the win in 1986. We've had some good times!

Gophers 38-35 loss to Michigan in 2003 at the Dome. Didn't care then as much as I do now but I'll never forget leaving and hearing people chant "Mason sucks.. *clap*clap*clapclapcalp*...Let's blow another one *clap*clap*clapclapclap*" repeatedly and I don't even know if I knew who Glen Mason was. But Barber and Maroney were super cool to watch as an elementary schooler. Blowing a 28-7 lead in the 4th quarter....not as cool.

I do remember watching games at my Grandparents house which would have been around 65-66 time frame. My first game was a big win over UCLA who was ranked at the time 1977. pretty much been to 98% of the games since.

It was at Memorial Stadium maybe 1980?. It was against Michigan and their great wide receiver Anthony Carter. Gophers did alright in the first half but Michigan won by about three TD's. It was a lot of fun and first time I was on the U of M campus.

Early 70s listening to Ray in the garage on a little transistor radio with my Dad.

Growing up in WI, my Dad was a huge Badgers fan. But I remember watching the Badgers lose to MN in 1993 on TV. I was 11 at the time, and although I was surprised to see WI lose, I thought that the gold helmets of MN looked really cool, and actually thought it was awesome that they played in the Metrodome.

10 years later, as a member of the U of M marching band, I got to witness and enjoy MN getting the axe back in the same Dome, although I have yet to see the Gophers don the actual gold helmets again. Maybe this is the year...

Growing up in WI, my Dad was a huge Badgers fan. But I remember watching the Badgers lose to MN in 1993 on TV. I was 11 at the time, and although I was surprised to see WI lose, I thought that the gold helmets of MN looked really cool, and actually thought it was awesome that they played in the Metrodome.

10 years later, as a member of the U of M marching band, I got to witness and enjoy MN getting the axe back in the same Dome, although I have yet to see the Gophers don the actual gold helmets again. Maybe this is the year...

What instrument did you play?

Watching highlights in the news shortly after Cal Stoll's squad upset #1 Michigan 16-0 in 1977. I thought Wendell Avery was the best quarterback in history and I begged my Dad to take me to a game the next year.
That was indeed a great game! My memory of that season is that Wendell Avery started most games, but I think that Mark Carlson engineered that victory. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom