Evaluating Coach K's future at Duke and the top 5 candidates to one day replace him

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Top candidates to replace Coach K
We're addressing this, of course, because in recent years the question of who will get the lone pleasure and unenviable pressure of succeeding K has become a real point of interest in college basketball circles. There probably isn't a job in college sports with more curiosity behind Who's Next. Given his stature, given that his name's on the damn court, given that he has a case for being the greatest coach in men's college basketball history, it's long been presumed that Krzyzewski will have significant say in his selecting his successor and that said successor will come from his coaching tree.

Who might that be, and will outside factors have significant influence on who ultimately takes the clipboard from Krzyzewski? Industry sources -- and those who have worked for K -- largely agree on the candidate pool at this stage. It's almost certainly going to be a former Duke player/Duke assistant and yet, it's almost definitely not going to be anyone currently on the Duke bench now. Duke assistants Nate James, Jon Scheyer and Chris Carawell are all yet to work as head coaches. There is a former K assistant who's found success, perhaps so much that he won't retreat back to college: Quinn Snyder, who's thriving with the Utah Jazz. He may be an NBA-only guy from here on out.

Duke has the pull to capture the attention of almost any huge name in basketball, but at this point, those targets aren't clear nor is the administration's intentions on looking outside the fraternity of Coach K.

So as of now there is a cram among the Duke alumni and at this point it's hard to forecast any true leader -- because the variables surrounding each candidate could be different two years from now, let alone four or five.

1. Steve Wojciechowski
Currently: Coach at Marquette

2. Jeff Capel
Currently: Coach at Pittsburgh

3. Chris Collins
Currently: Coach at Northwestern

4. Bobby Hurley
Currently: Coach at Arizona State

5. Tommy Amaker
Currently: Coach at Harvard

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-top-5-candidates-to-one-day-replace-coach-k/

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

We're addressing this, of course, because in recent years the question of who will get the lone pleasure and unenviable pressure of succeeding K has become a real point of interest in college basketball circles. There probably isn't a job in college sports with more curiosity behind Who's Next. Given his stature, given that his name's on the damn court, given that he has a case for being the greatest coach in men's college basketball history, it's long been presumed that Krzyzewski will have significant say in his selecting his successor and that said successor will come from his coaching tree.

Who might that be, and will outside factors have significant influence on who ultimately takes the clipboard from Krzyzewski? Industry sources -- and those who have worked for K -- largely agree on the candidate pool at this stage. It's almost certainly going to be a former Duke player/Duke assistant and yet, it's almost definitely not going to be anyone currently on the Duke bench now. Duke assistants Nate James, Jon Scheyer and Chris Carawell are all yet to work as head coaches. There is a former K assistant who's found success, perhaps so much that he won't retreat back to college: Quinn Snyder, who's thriving with the Utah Jazz. He may be an NBA-only guy from here on out.

Duke has the pull to capture the attention of almost any huge name in basketball, but at this point, those targets aren't clear nor is the administration's intentions on looking outside the fraternity of Coach K.

So as of now there is a cram among the Duke alumni and at this point it's hard to forecast any true leader -- because the variables surrounding each candidate could be different two years from now, let alone four or five.

1. Steve Wojciechowski

2. Jeff Capel

3. Chris Collins

4. Bobby Hurley

5. Tommy Amaker

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-top-5-candidates-to-one-day-replace-coach-k/

Go Gophers!!

Of these 5, Hurley (1) or Collins (1A) would be best choices, IMO. But first I'd try to lure Mike Brey out of the comfort of Notre Dame.

An entirely predictable list, although I'm a bit surprised Johnny Dawkins wasn't listed as 5A. He's been about as successful as Collins and coached at a school whose academic standards exceed that of Duke and Northwestern.

It will be a tough coaching position to fill, finding a candidate might be difficult.

It will be a tough coaching position to fill, finding a candidate might be difficult.

Wrong. Candidates will crawl to Durham for this job. Following a legend is hard, but any of those on the list will take the job in a heartbeat, along with 98% of college coaches.

per CBS:

1. Steve Wojciechowski

2. Jeff Capel

3. Chris Collins

4. Bobby Hurley

5. Tommy Amaker

Go Gophers!!

I would say this is a pretty underwhelming list of candidates. I would be tempted to list Tommy Amaker as 1 even though his time at Michigan wasn't anything to write home about. He's had prolonged success at Harvard including getting out of the first round twice. Jeff Capel will be interesting to watch at Pitt. Had some success at VCU and some with a Blake Griffin led Oklahoma team, but flamed out shortly there after.

I was relieved not to see Pitino or Fleck on the list. Actually Lindsay Whelan would be the no-brainer to follow Coach K.

Wrong. Candidates will crawl to Durham for this job. Following a legend is hard, but any of those on the list will take the job in a heartbeat, along with 98% of college coaches.

Pretty sure that guy was joking. Obviously Duke is a coaching job like Ohio State is in Football.

I think they will hire Capel or Collins, that person will flame out after four years and they'll move swiftly before Duke goes the way of Indiana and loses its blue blood status

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mike Brey is a very good coach but he is getting pretty old.

I'd hire Chris Collins if it has to be a Coach K/ Duke guy.

Mike Brey is a very good coach but he is getting pretty old.

I'd hire Chris Collins if it has to be a Coach K/ Duke guy.

Yep, he's 59. K would have to retire real soon for Brey to be a/the top candidate. I could see Brey coaching another 8-10 years?

If Capel turns Pitt around, he'll be the heavy favorite when K retires.

I could see Duke going a totally different direction and hire Christian Laettner. Laettner is the only person who would not necessarily be in the shadow of Coach K at Duke.

I would say this is a pretty underwhelming list of candidates. I would be tempted to list Tommy Amaker as 1 even though his time at Michigan wasn't anything to write home about. He's had prolonged success at Harvard including getting out of the first round twice. Jeff Capel will be interesting to watch at Pitt. Had some success at VCU and some with a Blake Griffin led Oklahoma team, but flamed out shortly there after.

I would also say that Amaker would have a leg up. He would be the diversity choice. He's had a long career and is the most successful basketball coach Harvard has had in the modern era. And Duke thinks of itself as the Harvard of the south. (Actually, it's probably more like the Stanford of the south).

Top Bottom