Sid Hartman: Tyler Johnson makes plays

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Johnson makes plays

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck said having junior receiver Tyler Johnson back healthy after he missed the final two games of 2017 is a big boost to the offense.

Late in the 24-17 victory over Fresno State, Johnson made an incredible catch off a throw from Zach Annex*stad, who had scrambled all over to pull off the play. It was as good of an offensive play as the team has had in years.

Fleck said that shows how impressive Johnson can be, but he also expects a lot out of one of his offensive leaders.

“I think Ty has got to continue to be more consistent, and he will tell you the same thing, but he makes big-time plays in big-time situations and that’s what great players do,” Fleck said. “We put ourselves in some tough positions with a few drops and a fumble [Johnson’s third-quarter fumble led to Fresno State’s first score]. However he continues to keep his oar in the water and never gave up.”

Johnson ranks fifth in the Big Ten in both receptions per game (5.5) and receiving yards per game (75.0).

Interestingly, Johnson, who averaged 17.2 points playing basketball for Minneapolis North, said a few close family members helped him to decide on football in college.

“It was actually a tough decision, you know I think I talked to my little brother or my mom or somebody like that and basically it just came down to the opportunity to play at a high level and being the first one in my family to do that,” Johnson said.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...-more-opportunity-to-prove-himself/493101281/

Go Gophers!!

I'll be watching for the first pass to him on Saturday...

Call it blasphemy but I think Autman-Bell is a better receiver than TJ. TJ makes some flashy catches but I really like what I've seen from CAB up to this point, albeit a small sample size. Good routes, makes the tough catches, goes up and gets the ball, catches well in traffic. Looking forward to a GREAT 4 years of him catching balls in maroon and gold

Call it blasphemy but I think Autman-Bell is a better receiver than TJ. TJ makes some flashy catches but I really like what I've seen from CAB up to this point, albeit a small sample size. Good routes, makes the tough catches, goes up and gets the ball, catches well in traffic. Looking forward to a GREAT 4 years of him catching balls in maroon and gold

I felt that way about TJ years ago, and he's done alright but not really broken out either ;)

I'm rowing the Rashad Still boat now.

Top Bottom