STrib: Twins' Joe Mauer to consider retiring after season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per La Velle:

Joe Mauer knows he has a decision to make, either return for a 16th season or end a well-decorated career in which he became a local icon and one of the best Minnesota Twins of all time.

And that decision will not come during the next road trip, or the last homestand or immediately following the end of the season.

Mauer, 35, made it clear Wednesday that he will take his time after the season to consider a multitude of factors before deciding if he will continue his playing career or retire.

“There’s a lot that goes into it than just, ‘Do you want to play?’” Mauer said. “There’s a lot of different dynamics that go into it. I owe it to myself and my family to sit down and think about those things.

“I have had some conversations with some people close to me and it’s amazing. Getting little bits from different people that are helping me cultivate this [decision]. I still have a lot to think about. I still have people who I want to speak to.

“It’s interesting. It’s a big decision, and I want to make sure I’m 100 percent about it.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-joe-mauer-to-consider-retiring-after-season/493103881/

Win Twins!!

Had a nice couple days.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

He started feeling guilty about stealing?[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mixed emotions about this actually.

From a team standpoint, as the team moves into 2019 and beyond, I kinda hope he hangs it up this winter. The team can move on without him once and for all.

From a standpoint of Mauer's legacy/history, I almost hope he plays another year or two so he can move up several notches on some career statistics, more cement his HOF resume, if indeed he is worthy of the HOF.

What happens? Who knows?! I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

I have mixed emotions about this actually.

From a team standpoint, as the team moves into 2019 and beyond, I kinda hope he hangs it up this winter. The team can move on without him once and for all.

From a standpoint of Mauer's legacy/history, I almost hope he plays another year or two so he can move up several notches on some career statistics, more cement his HOF resume, if indeed he is worthy of the HOF.

What happens? Who knows?! I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

if youre worried about HoF, he should probably go back to catcher

I love Joe. Hometown kid, someone my kids have been able to emulate. Great player. Hall of Fame? Nope.

He started feeling guilty about stealing?[emoji41]

He was getting paid $400K the year he hit .347. People seem to forget how good he was the first half of his career. I really think the big contract distracts people from that. I had one guy tell me the other day that Brad Radke and Eddie Guardado were better players than Mauer.

I've owed you all a report from my recent visit with my Twins insider. He's a relative who I don't see too often and didn't get a chance to connect with at the usual time, as I missed the family reunion in July. But I saw him at a wedding over Labor Day weekend and got a chance to get a few of my questions answered, including the Mauer one. Here's a summary:

As of Labor Day weekend, the story was pretty much as reported now: he hasn't decided. At that time, my guy said he was being pretty tighted lipped about it, and I imagine Joe felt he needed to say something, so he came out now and said something, which was essentially nothing, haha. My guy's prediction is that Joe signs for one or two more years in the $10-$12 million range. That'll give him a chance to maybe contend for another playoff run but more importantly pad his stats a little bit for the hall of fame. We agree that he was deserving of a Gold Glove last year at first base. Winning one there would give him the rare distinction of GGs at two positions, which can't hurt his HOF cause.

Eduardo Escobar loves the Twins, and according to my guy he'd sign here again in the off season if the Twins want him and give him a competitive offer. That surprised me on a couple fronts: that he'd do that, and that the Twins might not offer to get him back. Again, that's just my relative's perspective from his position, and you never know if Eddie's experience away from the Twins will alter his feeling about things. I hope it's all true, though, because he's a key cog in the clubhouse.

My relative's best friends on the team were Dozier and Pressly, and he's bummed they had to go. Dozier is happy with the propsect of contending for a championship, but he and his wife are both small-town people, and LA is not their cup of tea.

Falvey and Levine are fairly tight-lipped about their feelings and assessment of Paul Molitor. It's universally understood, though, that Molitor has a good mind for the game and makes things enjoyable for the players. It's a happy clubhouse. One way or another, he doesn't need this job; he does it because he loves being around the game and the stadium, and he wants to win.

The one area where I feel I got some static is the Byron Buxton situation. When I talked to my insider on September 1st, the decision had just been made to not bring Byron up, and I asked about that. My guy said it had nothing to do with service time and that it was all about avoiding the funk Buxton seems to come down with every time he's promoted, and keeping him down would let him continue to get in his groove without that mental baggage. So just a few days after that, the Twins clumsily admit that it IS at least partially about service time. That confused me, and there are a few possible explanations why I was told what I was told; y'all can guess what they are as well as I could. I think it's possible that the top management are playing their cards close to their vest on this one...or things are at least a little confused or convluted in the front office...or...some combination of factors. At the end of the day, though, I strongly feel - as some others have said - that Bux is going to be a superstar someday; it's just a matter of the team he blossoms with. If the Twins screw this up, they'll screw themselves out of championship contention.

That's all I can think of for now. At the time I spoke with my relative I was probably 7 or 8 drinks into the thing, so I might be forgetting something. If that's the case, I apologize.

He was getting paid $400K the year he hit .347. People seem to forget how good he was the first half of his career. I really think the big contract distracts people from that. I had one guy tell me the other day that Brad Radke and Eddie Guardado were better players than Mauer.

I was partially joking; what bothers me about Joe is I don’t believe winning is at the top of his priorities. I think he is more than comfortable where he’s at.

I've owed you all a report from my recent visit with my Twins insider. He's a relative who I don't see too often and didn't get a chance to connect with at the usual time, as I missed the family reunion in July. But I saw him at a wedding over Labor Day weekend and got a chance to get a few of my questions answered, including the Mauer one. Here's a summary:

As of Labor Day weekend, the story was pretty much as reported now: he hasn't decided. At that time, my guy said he was being pretty tighted lipped about it, and I imagine Joe felt he needed to say something, so he came out now and said something, which was essentially nothing, haha. My guy's prediction is that Joe signs for one or two more years in the $10-$12 million range. That'll give him a chance to maybe contend for another playoff run but more importantly pad his stats a little bit for the hall of fame. We agree that he was deserving of a Gold Glove last year at first base. Winning one there would give him the rare distinction of GGs at two positions, which can't hurt his HOF cause.

Eduardo Escobar loves the Twins, and according to my guy he'd sign here again in the off season if the Twins want him and give him a competitive offer. That surprised me on a couple fronts: that he'd do that, and that the Twins might not offer to get him back. Again, that's just my relative's perspective from his position, and you never know if Eddie's experience away from the Twins will alter his feeling about things. I hope it's all true, though, because he's a key cog in the clubhouse.

My relative's best friends on the team were Dozier and Pressly, and he's bummed they had to go. Dozier is happy with the propsect of contending for a championship, but he and his wife are both small-town people, and LA is not their cup of tea.

Falvey and Levine are fairly tight-lipped about their feelings and assessment of Paul Molitor. It's universally understood, though, that Molitor has a good mind for the game and makes things enjoyable for the players. It's a happy clubhouse. One way or another, he doesn't need this job; he does it because he loves being around the game and the stadium, and he wants to win.

The one area where I feel I got some static is the Byron Buxton situation. When I talked to my insider on September 1st, the decision had just been made to not bring Byron up, and I asked about that. My guy said it had nothing to do with service time and that it was all about avoiding the funk Buxton seems to come down with every time he's promoted, and keeping him down would let him continue to get in his groove without that mental baggage. So just a few days after that, the Twins clumsily admit that it IS at least partially about service time. That confused me, and there are a few possible explanations why I was told what I was told; y'all can guess what they are as well as I could. I think it's possible that the top management are playing their cards close to their vest on this one...or things are at least a little confused or convluted in the front office...or...some combination of factors. At the end of the day, though, I strongly feel - as some others have said - that Bux is going to be a superstar someday; it's just a matter of the team he blossoms with. If the Twins screw this up, they'll screw themselves out of championship contention.

That's all I can think of for now. At the time I spoke with my relative I was probably 7 or 8 drinks into the thing, so I might be forgetting something. If that's the case, I apologize.

Thanks Bad Gopher, I always look forward to and appreciate these reports.

Win Twins!!

BG, did he give any indication how badly the org wants him back?

Talking about Mauer? If so, no, but I didn't ask the question explicitly. Reading between the lines, a predicted offer of 10-12 million does suggest they do like him, and it wouldn't be a token offer to appease the fans.

yes sorry

Edited - above. Considering the Twins front office are analytics guys, and the advanced analytics are generally pro-Mauer, that doesn't surprise me. He'd be an asset to the team at that salary, and he's well above average defensively.

Last edited:

Edited - above. Considering the Twins front office are analytics guys, and the advanced analytics are generally pro-Mauer, that doesn't surprise me. He'd be an asset to the team at that salary, and he's well above average defensively.

thank you

As I read LaVelle's story, I got a distinct sense that Mauer is leaning toward retirement. He's got a 3rd kid on the way, and (reading between the lines) I get the sense that Mauer is spooked about the concussions.

And (my opinions now) I just don't think Mauer is the kind of guy who worries about his "legacy" or whether he makes the hall of fame. He's had a nice career, made a lot of money, is concerned about the impact of more injuries/concussions, and wants to be more involved with his family.

so, If I had to bet, I would say he retires after this season.

I'm not sure people forget, I think people hold it against him. He averaged 8.4 HRs for 13 of his 14 years as an Opening Day starter. In those 13 years he had an SLG% of .421. The other year was 28 HRs and an SLG% of .587 , and just happened to be a contract year. There are several explanations for how this could happen, and none of them are helpful to his legacy.

As I read LaVelle's story, I got a distinct sense that Mauer is leaning toward retirement. He's got a 3rd kid on the way, and (reading between the lines) I get the sense that Mauer is spooked about the concussions.

And (my opinions now) I just don't think Mauer is the kind of guy who worries about his "legacy" or whether he makes the hall of fame. He's had a nice career, made a lot of money, is concerned about the impact of more injuries/concussions, and wants to be more involved with his family.

so, If I had to bet, I would say he retires after this season.

Plus, he doesn't want to play elsewhere and the Twins are unlikely to be World Series contenders next year. Is squeezing out one more season on a fringe play-off team for $5 million worth the risk? I'd say no.

I'm not sure people forget, I think people hold it against him. He averaged 8.4 HRs for 13 of his 14 years as an Opening Day starter. In those 13 years he had an SLG% of .421. The other year was 28 HRs and an SLG% of .587 , and just happened to be a contract year. There are several explanations for how this could happen, and none of them are helpful to his legacy.

He was at his prime, and had a career year. Even then, about 10 of the 28 HR's were wall-scrapers just over the LF wall in the Dome that would have been doubles or outs at Target Field and many other ballparks. I don't think it was nefarious. It's not like he went Brady Anderson in 2009. Anyone who expected him to start rattling off 25-30 HR seasons was fooling themselves.

Last edited:

He was at his prime, and had a career year. Even then, about 10 of the 28 HR's were wall-scrapers just over the LF wall in the Dome that would have been doubles or outs at Target Field and many other ballparks. I don't think it was nefarious. It's not like he went Brady Anderson in 2009. Anyone who expected him to start rattling off 25-30 HR seasons was fooling themselves.

That's why the Twins should have either traded him or waited another 12 months and not paid for a career year. The argument that we had to keep Mauer because he is a good player and Minnesota boy while moving into Target Field is about as empty as the space between Trump's ears.

Mauer seems like the sort who managed his money well enough to have the option of just walking away at any time of his choosing.

I disagree. Like I posted, someone said Radke and Guardado had a better career than Mauer. I've seen ridiculous things like that many times. They act like he had one great season.

That's why the Twins should have either traded him or waited another 12 months and not paid for a career year. The argument that we had to keep Mauer because he is a good player and Minnesota boy while moving into Target Field is about as empty as the space between Trump's ears.

They still would have given about the same amount money even if they waited until the year after. Hitting .330 with 10 HR and an OPS above .850 is pretty damn valuable for a catcher.

The idea of Mauer being in the HOF is just laughably absurd to me. He had a really nice 8-year run (MVP, 6 All-Star selections, 3 battling titles, 3 Gold Gloves), but has been a league-average player in the 5 years since.

That being said, the baseball HOF selection process is almost as much about politics as it is about actual production, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in because he's a clean-cut All-American boy.

Only if you're completely naive about the politics of what it took to get Target Field and what a PR $%^ storm it would have caused to trade him or let him walk. It would have done massive damage to the Twins/Pohlads and erased all goodwill for a new stadium they waited 15 years for. And for what? To save $5 million/year?

It's not as though he was some average player who had one great year. He was already making $13 million/year and was going to get a raise before 2009 ever happened. Did it inflate his value a bit? Yes. They could have probably signed him one year earlier for $18 million a year instead of $23. Would that $5 million/year savings really have changed anything in the bigger picture? No.

Last edited:

The idea of Mauer being in the HOF is just laughably absurd to me. He had a really nice 8-year run (MVP, 6 All-Star selections, 3 battling titles, 3 Gold Gloves), but has been a league-average player in the 5 years since.

That being said, the baseball HOF selection process is almost as much about politics as it is about actual production, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in because he's a clean-cut All-American boy.

Nah. If he had stayed at catcher this entire time or even another 2-3 years, I think he would make it. But he didn't make it long enough.

I disagree that it was a "nice" run. He was doing things that no other AL catcher had ever done before. It was a pretty incredible run IMO.

I don't think he should get in but if he had stayed at catcher for another 3-4 years with the same numbers, I think he gets in pretty easily. I've seen voters like Jayson Stark say the same thing.

Top Bottom